Help!!! Is Seward Worth All Of This???

crusinwen

When I saw this post during the week, I was impressed with additional resources for transfer options. The name Alasak Transportation stuck in my mind, so today, having more time, I did a search on google. I'm going to attach a link because my search did confirm a not so good record with BBB. I haven't experienced their services, but thought people should check out for themselves their record. Here's the link:

…bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx…

My understanding is port at Seward was becoming crowded and Whitter is at least an hour closer to Anchorage. Two pluses for passengers.

Everything I've read suggests car rental, particularly one way is not economical from Whittier but it doesn't sound like Seward has great one way deals either.

From what I've read Princess transfers from Whitter to Anchorage are competitive compared with booking rail with the RR (schedule might not be as good) or booking a third party shuttle company http://alaskatransportation.net/rates.html

I understand Princess transfers from Whitter are a bit cheaper then booking Royal Caribbean transfers from Seward.

Cruise ships are looking to make more money from "extras" as competition forces them to keep cruise fares low. We don't know how much Princess would have raised transfer charges if they remained at Seward. My point is current cruise line transfer costs from Whittier are less then current cruise line transfer costs from Seward. It's a reach to assume Princess wouldn't have raised their transfer costs if they had stayed in Seward.

I'm pretty cynical, I agree cruise lines want our $$$ but I think you may be reaching. I suspect a lot of passengers go with cruise transfers, from either Whitter or Seward. Catch the rail from the dock creates a nice image. This isn't FLL where a short cab ride gets you to the dock.

I have to jump in again. I understand Glacier Lady's comments because in traveling in Alaska I've heard it before about Princess. A shopkeeper in Talkeetna told me Princess builds their lodges away (50 miles from Talkeetna) from the real town to keep the $'s from tourists to themselves. She went as far to say they bring in their own employees (by recruiting from the lower 48) and even people who build the lodges. I don't know if the last statement is true; but I do know they recruit from the lower 48 for sure. I always try to support the local economy when I travel. The Talkeetna Alaska Lodge (Celebrity/RCCL/HAL uses this facility) is actually owned by a Native Corporation and offers free shuttle service into Talkeetna and a short ride to boot.

You know it's a sticky issue. I sure can't blame Alaskans for their perspective.

And again, in reference to the post I made last night; If I was considering using Alaska Transportation Group as a viable option for a transfer from Whittier, I would do research first to make sure they are reliable. Just my opinion!

Originally Posted by Chilkoot

Yes, Seward is worth it. Here's some more transportation options.

http://www.whittiertransportation.com/

http://www.alaskatransportation.net/

http://www.girdwoodshuttle.com/

http://www.girdwoodtourstransportation.com/

When I saw this post during the week, I was impressed with additional resources for transfer options. The name Alasak Transportation stuck in my mind, so today, having more time, I did a search on google. I'm going to attach a link because my search did confirm a not so good record with BBB. I haven't experienced their services, but thought people should check out for themselves their record. Here's the link:

…bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx…

And of those 4 websites listed...it consist of 2 companies, each with 2 websites.

I have to jump in again. I understand Glacier Lady's comments because in traveling in Alaska I've heard it before about Princess. A shopkeeper in Talkeetna told me Princess builds their lodges away (50 miles from Talkeetna) from the real town to keep the $'s from tourists to themselves. She went as far to say they bring in their own employees (by recruiting from the lower 48) and even people who build the lodges. I don't know if the last statement is true; but I do know they recruit from the lower 48 for sure. I always try to support the local economy when I travel. The Talkeetna Alaska Lodge (Celebrity/RCCL/HAL uses this facility) is actually owned by a Native Corporation and offers free shuttle service into Talkeetna and a short ride to boot.

You know it's a sticky issue. I sure can't blame Alaskans for their perspective.

I hear the complaints about the Princess Lodge every time I go to Cooper Landing. LOVELY Lodge, great scenery. NOTHING to do, nothing to eat, no transportation UNLESS it is arranged by Princess. Talk about "captured"!!!! It is two miles EACH direction and plus across the river just to get something OTHER than Princess. Most people aren't into a 4+ mile hike for lunch.

I have heard from long time Homer residents that Princess basically BEGGED Whittier to let them open a dock there. The town of Whittier essentially has nothing-certainly not enough for a cruise ship full of passengers. By basing in Whittier instead of Homer or someplace like that, Princess was GUARANTEED they would get 85-90% of the "extras". Sure looks like it worked out that way.

Archived