Adjaccio and Le Petit Train

Hi all,

We will be in Adjaccio in November, and are trying to make a plan for this port. :)

Currently, there is not an NCL tour available on my booking to see the Calanches. If it is offered, we would definitely like to see this (I think the tour is only half the day).

If we cannot get this tour, or for the remainder of the day, we would like to tour the town of Adjaccio. I think it would be a relaxing day to shop, drink a carafe of wine, and wander.

To get to my main question, I have also heard of Le Petit Train which shows visitors around the area. I cannot find a lot of information online, except in French, and I only speak conversational French. :o

If you have visited the area, please let me know where we can pick up the train, how much it is, and other necessary tourist information. Is it primarily for children? If so, would two 27-year old adults feel strange getting on?

Thanks!!!

The land train picks up right on the waterfront at Ajaccio - you have only a short walk from where the ship berths. I can't remember the cost perhaps 10 Euros at a guess and it takes you around the town including a short stop at Napoleon's statue.

Yes, it's for adults and a useful way of getting around - most of the visitors use it. It's not a HoHo though. I think it was about a 45 minute trip.

We were on the Celebrity Century last November and stopped in Ajaccio. It was a great port and we took Le Petit train for the 90 minute tour. The train pickup was right at the port. The time went very fast because they cover a lot of distance but you also stop 2 or 3 times. The last stop before returning to town was Iles Sanguinaires which is near the Calanches. IMHO, the calanches in Cassis are more impressive and more worth your time. We very much enjoyed the train (it is more like a trolley) as it goes on the road and not a track. There was one very large man on our tour who had trouble fitting in the seat. The trip was quite fun and kids will love it. Fares are 7 Euros for adults and 3 for kids. After the tour we walked around town and enjoyed the interesting stores and had delicious lunch. It is a great town.

This is probably the website you are looking at. http://www.petit-train-ajaccio.com/index.htm

Thanks for the information! I definitely think we will plan on doing this. Did you need reservations in advance? (I see you can reserve online). I'm thinking for November... probably not....?

I know it is not a hop-on hop-off, but did you have any time do walk around the sights when you stop, or is it more of a drive-by?

Thanks again for the quick replies. :)

I think we must have gone on a shorter trip than Steph77. If I remember correctly we didn't go to the Calanches and only had one stop (Napoleon). This was just a 10 minute photo opportunity really. I think the other trip sounds a better deal.

There is a short route that just goes around the town, and another that goes out to the beach, which we did. It was fun and relaxing but I did feel a wee bit odd--kind of like riding a kiddie ride. OTOH there wasn't much else to do. It was market day when we were there and we wandered through the stalls, and met some shipmates for lunch on the waterfront. The town is very small and fun to stroll around.

If your itinerary is anything like ours, very port intensive, you will relish the quiet and relaxing day!

BTW, as you leave the square and head up to the Napoleon monument, keep your eyes open for a very strangely named shop on your left--we went by so fast I didn't have time to get a picture, and I know the meaning is different in French, but it provided a lot of hilarity!

And you do not need advance reservations--just walk up and buy your ticket and get on!

Have fun

Cathy

Yes, there are 2 tours, 45 minutes or 90 minutes. The shorter tour just goes around the town which you could actually walk. I liked the longer one because it went along the beach. They stopped at the Napoleon monument and at the beach. I think there was one other stop. We were told to be back at the train at the appropriate time and the driver made sure everyone was back on. When you get to the beach they were selling nougat and other treats. Hopefully the Euro will stay low by November!

Archived