25 days to go - Chances of an upgrade on a TA?

RachieLnnn

Hi all!

We are currently booked on a T/A cruise on the Gem leaving Barcelona on Nov. 16th.

We booked with a Travel Agent and started out in an obstructed ocean view. Before final payment, prices dropped and we were able to inquire with our TA to be upgraded to an oceanview, although on a lower deck. :)

Currently, prices for this cruise have dropped extremely low and from what I can tell online, the ship has many empty cabins (including balcony cabins).

I contacted my TA again to see if we could be switched into a balcony cabin, and they said that they called NCL but regretted to inform us that since we had already been upgraded once, it was against the rules. This is after final payment, so I was not expecting anything, but am confused as other people on my roll call have continued to call about upgrades and upsells as recently as last week and receive offers.

My TA did mention that the upgrades are purely at NCL's discretion, which I totally understand... but I'm wondering:

This close to sailing, the airfare for either European OR American passengers for a one-way ticket is astronomical, even the the cruise fare is so low. As such, I am thinking that the ship will sail with many empty cabins.

What do you think my best strategy would be to try to get moved into a balcony cabin if any are available and will be sailing empty anyway? Has anyone ever had any luck inquiring at check-in? Should I continue to pester my TA to call and ask (I feel guilty being such a pest). :o

We are happy where we are at with what we've paid, but it would be great to be in a balcony. At this point, I almost feel it is a challege to get a balcony. :D

On another note, we did tell our TA we would be willing to pay to be upgraded to a balcony, but she still said no dice since we ahd already been moved once.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Hi all!

We are currently booked on a T/A cruise on the Gem leaving Barcelona on Nov. 16th.

We booked with a Travel Agent and started out in an obstructed ocean view. Before final payment, prices dropped and we were able to inquire with our TA to be upgraded to an oceanview, although on a lower deck. :)

Currently, prices for this cruise have dropped extremely low and from what I can tell online, the ship has many empty cabins (including balcony cabins).

I contacted my TA again to see if we could be switched into a balcony cabin, and they said that they called NCL but regretted to inform us that since we had already been upgraded once, it was against the rules. This is after final payment, so I was not expecting anything, but am confused as other people on my roll call have continued to call about upgrades and upsells as recently as last week and receive offers.

My TA did mention that the upgrades are purely at NCL's discretion, which I totally understand... but I'm wondering:

This close to sailing, the airfare for either European OR American passengers for a one-way ticket is astronomical, even the the cruise fare is so low. As such, I am thinking that the ship will sail with many empty cabins.

What do you think my best strategy would be to try to get moved into a balcony cabin if any are available and will be sailing empty anyway? Has anyone ever had any luck inquiring at check-in? Should I continue to pester my TA to call and ask (I feel guilty being such a pest). :o

We are happy where we are at with what we've paid, but it would be great to be in a balcony. At this point, I almost feel it is a challege to get a balcony. :D

On another note, we did tell our TA we would be willing to pay to be upgraded to a balcony, but she still said no dice since we ahd already been moved once.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

While your TA may be telling you what she is being told by NCL I can assure you that there has been more than one offered proffered to upsell cabins and suites - unless this is a new policy - but I don't think it is.

Nita where are you??

Thanks, I thought it was strange... but I wasn't sure how these things worked after final payment.

Well, we'll see, it would be great to get a balcony but we were thankful for even getting an OV.

Just can't wait to get on that ship! :D

Are you asking about an upsell or an upgrade?

I can't comment on upgrades.

However upsells are a different matter. Being contacted by the upsell desk is seemingly by luck only. You cannot call for an upsell you have to wait to be contacted. I was contacted once by telephone and once via email by the upsell "fairy." And there's still a chance that you might be contacted...on our very first NCL cruise, we were contacted 6 days out...and,yes, we grabbed it!

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Archived