Service has gone WAY DOWNHILL...

agrip76

I am stating what I experienced. I also heard many other people comment that service is not the same. IT is not awful, it is just not the same outstanding service it used to be.

My impression is that you found one thing to complain about, and then allowed that to "color" your experience. I've sailed Carnival more than any other line. Yes, there have been occasional hiccups, quickly remedied.

FWIW, I am glad that you will choose another cruise line for your future travels. I'd hate for you to whizz on a cruise parade I was on. I'm less gentlemanly than I used to be, especially when you come across as too demanding, or demeaning.

The service mirrors your treament of those who serve you. We receive exceptional service.

It's about training the staff, empowering them to take care of 'little things'.

Google up "service recovery". If staff is trained to take care of these minor complaints. The corporation will recover thousands of dollars potentially lost over 5 cents worth of popcorn. People will go out of their way to rebook on the same cruise line if their small needs are met; coffee hot, timely service, closing times followed..and it cost the cruiseline almost nothing except training their staff putting in policies for them to follow.

Why not saying closing time is 10:45 and then close? oh wait..someone will show up at 10:40..so push it back to 10:30 and so on..and so on.

Hey, like I said, I've never been a server, I just report what my daughter said. She added that the "extras" have come from the cooks, not the servers that she has ever known. Evidently, and again, this is just reporting from someone who has worked in the industry 3 years, it really pisses the cooks off to have the kitchen cleaned and have someone show up 15 minutes to close.

Never good to makes the cooks mad......your food may have extra ingredients.:eek:

Never good to makes the cooks mad......your food may have extra ingredients.:eek:

Or airline employees. I have a dear friend who assured me that a person's luggage would never make their destination if you were rude to her at the counter. Sometimes, it just pays to be nice. What is the saying, "Kill 'em with kindess?" Although I like another's point that, as a general rule, you will be met with the same attitude you show. I've seen that "rule" work over and over and over. It must be so because I think they call it "Golden".

The service mirrors your treament of those who serve you. We receive exceptional service.

That, as a blanket statement, is not necessarily true.

We have never treated any of our room stewards or dining room waiters any differently from cruise to cruise, but have had levels of service that run quite the gamut from exceptional to near-dismal.

Our last cruise (we just returned two weeks ago from the Carnival Spirit's Vancouver/Hawaii cruise) our room steward was just phenomenal. Our wait staff were good, but nowhere near as good as we've had on some other cruises. A few cruises ago we sailed RCI and had the worst room steward we've ever had, but our dining room staff were among the best we've ever had.

Different cruises, different staff. While I KNOW Carnival strives for a consistently exceptional "product," as long as there are human beings involved, consistent excellence will be a goal, and probably not an accomplishment.

You know what I find interesting (and reassuring)? Carnival listens more respectfully to complaints than it's cheerleaders on this forum.

Or airline employees. I have a dear friend who assured me that a person's luggage would never make their destination if you were rude to her at the counter. Sometimes, it just pays to be nice. What is the saying, "Kill 'em with kindess?" Although I like another's point that, as a general rule, you will be met with the same attitude you show. I've seen that "rule" work over and over and over. It must be so because I think they call it "Golden".

Your dear friend would purposely not do what she was paid to do because someone was rude to her? What is that -- the Sulphur Rule? Because it stinks!

People who cannot bring themselves to do the right thing, even when other people are not, perhaps should avoid a job in a service industry, or any job that deals with the public.

Your dear friend doesn't seem like a very nice person. She doesn't like the way someone treats her so she does something just as rude? "Kill em' with kindness" IMHO is what you should do when another is being rude to you...she should practice what she preaches. :rolleyes:

We came back from the Pride on the 12th of October and honestly I found all of the staff to be friendly and interesting. The service was pleasant and attentive. This is the first cruise that I actually came home with email addresses of the staff as well as learning a bit about their countries. I spoke more fequently with the employees and left the cruise with the feeling that I had traveled further than the Mexican Riviera due to the conversations that took place.

We came back from the Pride on the 12th of October and honestly I found all of the staff to be friendly and interesting. The service was pleasant and attentive. This is the first cruise that I actually came home with email addresses of the staff as well as learning a bit about their countries. I spoke more fequently with the employees and left the cruise with the feeling that I had traveled further than the Mexican Riviera due to the conversations that took place.

We were on this cruise as well, we had no issues what so ever.

Now I am going to throw a blanket statement out there, what I did notice was a lot of eastern European people working on the ship, as a whole they tended to be a little more restrained at first but opened up once a conversation was started. The bar staff all figured out our drinks pretty quickly and we quick to serve us.

Theres always going to be bumps here and there.....we've stayed at the Ritz and had issues, then had a great time at the Hampton Inn. You never know!

We've been on 6 Carnival cruises and sure, there have been little things here and there, but it lasts for about 1-2 minutes, then we move on.

They forgot sugar and sweetner for the room service coffee twice in a row...the third time we wised up and kept the left over packets in the cabin for the rest of the cruise for the coffee each morning. No biggie!

I had forgoten all about it until now actually.

My husband has been on two crusies, Princess and Carnival. He said to me that he can't believe how much better service on Princess was. He said on Carnival he felt like he was bothering people to get service.

Then by all means, go back to PRINCESS. It'll leave more room for those of us with enough rationale to understand the wastefulness of pampering your a$$ with popcorn at 10:45pm. And then we wonder what drives the prices up. A little common sense by cruisers would save tons, but folks like you are the reason so much is wasted.

I'm sure your "food poison" was a Carnival conspiracy to make you even more miserable after you didn't get your popcorn.:rolleyes:

I can't believe I just wasted the time to respond to such dribble.

Then by all means, go back to PRINCESS. It'll leave more room for those of us with enough rationale to understand the wastefulness of pampering your a$$ with popcorn at 10:45pm. And then we wonder what drives the prices up. A little common sense by cruisers would save tons, but folks like you are the reason so much is wasted.

I'm sure your "food poison" was a Carnival conspiracy to make you even more miserable after you didn't get your popcorn.:rolleyes:

I can't believe I just wasted the time to respond to such dribble.

You are an idiot.....you know who wastes food?? all the people who eat non stop on that cruise and leave plates of what they don't like behind. I went up to that deck twice and asked for popcorn once at 10:45 and once at 10:30. the popcorn is not the point. The point that the guy was rude and told me that it stops at 11 is my point. If it stops at 11, it stops at 11. I worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years and most places would not put up with that. It doesn't matter if it's 10:59. If someone wants something you do it. There was a movie showing with like 100 people watching it. I am sure other people asked as well. Why not just have it for the whole movie, just in case. You all that say I am looking for things are wrong. I don't find things to complain about. I usually just say "oh well" But when I notice things have dramatically changed since the other times I have traveled with Carnival I comment. My mom works for AAA and comments all the time how people say Carnival is not what it used to be. Waiting 20 minutes for coffee is a big deal too. When dessert has been served and done and the waiters have sang and people are leaving and we still don't have our coffee??? EVERY SINGLE NIGHT? If it was one night, fine. And I never treat the staff bad. I understand they work their butts off. I just think that things have changed on this ship.

So you all can call me names or whatever makes you feel good about yourself. This is my experience. If you don't like it..oh well.

First, let me say that I love cruising on Carnival and will continue to do so for the rest of my life!

But...I agree with some of the things that I am reading about change.

I remember when I began cruising in 1993, it was a much different experience than today. I remember as a previous poster said, when they brushed the crumbs from your table, they would also take away used forks, I know it is not a big deal..but...it made you feel special that you were getting taken care of so well. The dining room atmosphere was totally different. I would like to see it like that again but with auto tips and relaxation in the dress code, don't think it is going to happen.

I have also saw the difference in the cabin cleaning. I remember when things were so clean they sparkled, and on some ships still do. I think the most dissappointing thing as far as that was when I was on the Miracle. I love that ship and it is truly beautiful and very clean...except our cabin. On embarkation day, there were water marks from glasses on our counter, sail and sign bills and other things in the drawer and a hair in the amenities basket. It was almost as if our steward forgot to finish. We called the info desk, we were told that there was a change in room stewards and ours didn't finish cleaning our room and the second one didn't know about it. Still, had I been a first time cruiser with CCL, I would have been very dissappointed with the cabin. BUT.... this is not the norm. I do love Carnival and wish they would get back to the way they used to be. It was just so different....

You are an idiot.....

So you all can call me names or whatever makes you feel good about yourself. This is my experience. If you don't like it..oh well.

Hmmmm, Don't see anyone calling "names" here except... uh, YOU!

Have a Nice Day and enjoy PRINCESS.

Your dear friend would purposely not do what she was paid to do because someone was rude to her? What is that -- the Sulphur Rule? Because it stinks!

People who cannot bring themselves to do the right thing, even when other people are not, perhaps should avoid a job in a service industry, or any job that deals with the public.

I'm not condoning what she does at all. My point was that, when someone has control of something that means something to me, like my food or luggage, these are not the people to make angry. They can take liberties that may not be pleasant :eek:

I was a pediatric nurse for 5 years and you want to see some ugly acting people? Take care of a sick child!! Their parents are off the scale!! But, is that about me????? Heck no it's not!! It's the stress of having a sick kid. I never took that kind of thing personally.

But some in service jobs do, and yes, they probably need to find something else to do, but I don't get to control that, unfortunately. I've just heard the horror stories and know that there are just some people I will go out of my way to being kind to, even if I'm having a day from heck!! I'd rather my luggage meet me at my destination and not end up in BFE. I can always take my anger out on some other innocent person, right?? Just kidding :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I think that was what some were referring to in the OP's post. If you come across as a "snob" (which I read in her words when she was "demanding" popcorn at 10:45--I mean, it's POPCORN, let it go for Heaven's sake), some people take that as a personal attack (right or wrong) and will reply accordingly. Again, I'm not condoning the behavior, I'm just saying that it seems to be usual (though not always) human behavior to give back as good as they get. Does it make it right? No. But it is what it is.

I have been on 10 CCL ships dating back to the Carnivale in 1988. Back then we were treated like royalty. Everytime we left our cabin, no matter what time of day our cabin steward checked our room and straightened up or gave us fresh towels. The food was 5 star. But I also remember on the flight to Miami the airline gave us a hot meal, free snacks and cokes, free blanket or pillow, and the seats were wider and there was no charge for luggage. Now you get nothing unless you pay for it. So times have changed. I still get great service and good food on my cruises. Once in a while I have a small issue with some service but then I realize that the cruise industry, not just CCL, has had to cut back to keep from charging a lot more for the cruise. There are some cruise lines that do pamper you like they did 15-20 years ago but the cost is about double what you pay for CCL. It is a wonderful vacation for the money. Where else can you go for 7 days with lodging, all you can eat and entertainment for as low as $450 dollars a person.??? Like many of the OP's have said, kill them with kindness and enjoy the trip!

:)

You are an idiot.....you know who wastes food?? all the people who eat non stop on that cruise and leave plates of what they don't like behind. I went up to that deck twice and asked for popcorn once at 10:45 and once at 10:30. the popcorn is not the point. The point that the guy was rude and told me that it stops at 11 is my point. If it stops at 11, it stops at 11. I worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years and most places would not put up with that. It doesn't matter if it's 10:59. If someone wants something you do it. There was a movie showing with like 100 people watching it. I am sure other people asked as well. Why not just have it for the whole movie, just in case. You all that say I am looking for things are wrong. I don't find things to complain about. I usually just say "oh well" But when I notice things have dramatically changed since the other times I have traveled with Carnival I comment. My mom works for AAA and comments all the time how people say Carnival is not what it used to be. Waiting 20 minutes for coffee is a big deal too. When dessert has been served and done and the waiters have sang and people are leaving and we still don't have our coffee??? EVERY SINGLE NIGHT? If it was one night, fine. And I never treat the staff bad. I understand they work their butts off. I just think that things have changed on this ship.

OP

its not worth it.. just ignore the nay'sayers... You have complaints and you are entitled to have them... :)

Iv noticed a increasing number of complaints that are service related since my cruise. Either there are just more complaints lately, or I didnt pay them notice, hard to say.

I have been in business for over 20 years dealing with customers every day. Most customers if they are happy with your products/services tell you how happy they are with continued sales. The unhappy customers are usually (I said usually) the ones that voice their unhappiness and do not return as customers.

Many of us would also like to verbally hear when we are doing a good job. I have been on 6 cruises and will go on #7 in December. We all of the perfect, no. Did I expect perfection going in, NO.

Everyone has a bad day, even some have bad weeks, we do too. I find that when I am dealing with someone having a bad day, kind words to them has a tendency to make the situation at least more tolerable.

Think about it, most of these people get yelled and screamed at all day. What would a kind word do for them?

Just my 2 cents

In all seriousness, I think that was what some were referring to in the OP's post. If you come across as a "snob" (which I read in her words when she was "demanding" popcorn at 10:45--I mean, it's POPCORN, let it go for Heaven's sake), some people take that as a personal attack (right or wrong) and will reply accordingly. Again, I'm not condoning the behavior, I'm just saying that it seems to be usual (though not always) human behavior to give back as good as they get. Does it make it right? No. But it is what it is.

where does it say I was demanding. I went and asked for some the guy said "we serve popcorn 7-11" Actually my husband mentioned to him it was 10:45 and he said "if I make more it will go to waste" There was a movie on that just started. I am sure it won't go to waste. He would be bartending there until the movie was over.....

where does it say I was demanding. I went and asked for some the guy said "we serve popcorn 7-11" Actually my husband mentioned to him it was 10:45 and he said "if I make more it will go to waste" There was a movie on that just started. I am sure it won't go to waste. He would be bartending there until the movie was over.....

You may not have been, in your perception. My point was that the employee might have perceived it as demanding (especially if you threw a fit that he wouldn't make it--again, I would've just let it go, but that's just me) and reacted accordingly. As I noted, it doesn't make it right, it is just human behavior to get defensive if they feel "threatened". And throwing a fit over something as simple as popcorn CAN be perceived as threatening to some people. Life is too short to push some things on principle, but again, that is only MY opinion.

You know, it occurs to me that maybe the "popcorn guy"'s manager told him if there was still some left from the previous batch, that it could be served until 11 but not to make a new batch after say, 10:45. I mean all cruises are looking for ways to cut costs as these and the other boards have noted, portions smaller, etc. I have no idea if this was the case, but if a bag of popcorn meant that much to me, I think I'd have asked for the manager.

My husband has been on two crusies, Princess and Carnival. He said to me that he can't believe how much better service on Princess was. He said on Carnival he felt like he was bothering people to get service.

I'm sorry you had problems on your cruise, but don't judge all Carnival ships on one bad experience. I've been on at least 6 Carnival ships and the service has been outstanding on all of them.

I think as a society that we have become accustomed to complaining - look at the number of posts.

As far as the popcorn goes - if the machine is like mine you are supposed to pop 5 batches at a time and it takes at least 5 minutes to warm up before you start. (He had probably already cleaned it for the night - probably should have made one more before he did but he probably thought he was done)

As far as the Norovirus/food poisoning - if you were sick for 24 hours and you went to the infirmary - they are going to put a block on your id. They don't know what is wrong with you. You might think it is food poisoning but please realize you need to be considerate of the other passagers. My son got sea sick and was banned for the child program for 24 hours. And he felt fine - just was sick once - but sick once there. It was fair.

On our last cruise our cabin stewards were not the greatest - left coffee in the coffee pot 3 days before I had to throw out. But we didn't complain or lower tips. We had a great time and that is the important thing about vacationing.

Archived