Belize on our own with kids

gupsmom

We're on the Independence of the Seas over Thanksgiving. Since we have twin 16 month old girls, on top of our 8, 10 and 11 yr old, we're probably not booking an excursion. I'm looking for something to do that is unique to Belize (that says, "I've been to Belize.") and then a good Family beach. We have 4 adults to help with the twins. We can either use the double stroller or 2 baby back packs carriers.

thanks...

Jess

Jess,

I hate to break the news to you, but this is one port where you really need to take a tour. There isn't much in town to see that would be of any interest to the kids (or grownups for that matter). Your best bet is to either book an excursion at the tenderdock for a beach break or take a water taxi to Cay Caulker. I don't know of any beaches that you can access from Belize City by taxi.

I loved Belize and am looking forward to going back in the spring, but I would not do this island on my own. I would do a little research and find a place that interests you and then book a trip to get there. There really isn't much outside the gated port area and not a place for small children. This is a port that you need to tender into and I have read that there are excursions to beaches that leave straight from the ship [rather than taking a tender to the port]. I've read about Bannister Island on the ports page for Belize and it looks like a fabulous place. It will be well worth the expense to book a tour on this stop.

We are a family of 4, the first trip to Belize we hired a tour guide to take us on a city tour and to the zoo. It was much less expensive than a ship sponsored tour. The second trip we went through the cruise line to Bannister Island, nice, but expensive. We will be returning this March and we are still unsure of what to book...but booking somehting is important.

Archived