Tipping, Cash vs. Charge

CM2J2R2S

I have read an awful lot about tipping on these boards and have a question that I couldn't find the answer to. I understand about tipping, up and down, to this staff member or that staff member for service received. I really 'get' that. What I need to know today is if I can tip who I want to, the amount I want to, and do that on a credit card at the Purser's Desk - or do I need cash?

Thanks thanks thanks,

Melissa

You can adjust the tips on your S&S card, and if that is associated with your credit card then yes. You can also tip additionally in cash, directly to the staff member. We did not make any adjustments on the S&S... just gave the steward an extra $20 as well as our dining team... they were very appreciative and deserved every penny... what a great cruise!!!!

On our last two cruises we left the auto tips on our S&S account but gave cash to those who deserved an extra tip. The waiter and asst. waiter on both cruises got a big extra tip for the great personable service they provided. The room stewards however received no extra tips. While the rooms were clean and neat, we had little or no contact with them. We also had trouble reaching one will he was supposedly on duty. They both barely met our expectations and certainly didn't exceed them.

I thought tipping on your sign and sail card was a great idea as you don’t need to bring so much cash with you, until I talked to some of the staff on board.

I was told that sometimes they don’t get tips from room that they know very will that the people in the rooms liked them and would tip them. So now I take no chances these people work to hard not to get there tips. I give them cash, no need to second guess the system. I tip who I want when I want.

Any tip from the S&S card up to the "suggested amount" will be pooled and distributed... if you give them cash above and beyond the amount on the S&S it is theirs to keep. Our last steward had made us aware of this and it was verified several times on this trip. If you take the tips off, they are required to report any cash tips and they can only keep the amount "above" the minimum.. the rest goes to the pool... If they don't report the tips, it is recorded as to how much they did report and if they consistently bring in "low tips", they risk being released from their contract. Some people think they are doing them a service by removing the S&S tips... but what you do give them still goes to the pool. IMHO, keep the tips on and give them cash... they can keep that cash, and what is better than that :D

Archived