What to do with my luggage?

kitty0218

I know this topic has come up before but my situation is a little different. Our cruise gets in early in the morning and my flight doesn't leave PR until after 5p.m. We are travelling with Air Canada so there is no option to do the express luggage check or whatever it's called. I am not really interested in doing a walking tour as I'm not big into history (gasp!)... I would rather check out Isla Verde beach, which I believe is about 1 mile from the airport. So it wouldn't make sense to leave our bags at one of those places in town. We thought of renting a car but it seems like an awful lot of trouble for a couple of hours. The only other thing I can think of is going to the airport from the pier (we already paid for our transfers anyway) and leaving our luggage somewhere at the airport (I'm assuming it will be too early to check our luggage) and then take a taxi back to the beach.

Any ideas of how I can make this work? Does anyone know if Air Canada allows you to store your luggage at the airport?

I don't any airports allow "luggage storage" anymore, with all the security and stuff. When is the last time you saw a locker at an airport?

Is it ever really too early to check-in with your airline and check your bags?

We had friends in a similar situation to yours. They got their transfers from the ship to the airport, checked in and got rid of their luggage, and then we picked them up and went out for a couple of hours. We finally took them back to the airport in time to catch their flight.

The only problem you'll have is what to do with your carry-on luggage while you go to the beach. But that shouldn't be an issue if you're only carrying-on a small bag.

Thanks, I will have to find out what the earliest time we can check in is. You're probably right, anytime within 24 hrs before is probably acceptable. I know online check-in can be done 24 hrs prior so hopefully in person check-in is the same. Anyone else know for sure?

Oh no!!! I just found this on Air Canada's website:

Passengers may check-in as early as 24 hours prior to departure. Please note, however, that baggage may only be checked in at the baggage drop-off counter at the earliest:

• four (4) hours prior to departure from destinations in Canada and the U.S., and
  • three (3) hours prior to departure from other destinations.

So it looks like I can't check my bags until 2:15.... that doesn't work for me... Looks like I'm going to be stuck at the airport all day instead of the beach :(

One option is to check out the Rain Forest tour that drops you at the airport. You can also rent a car at Hertz in the Old San Juan Sheraton across from the pier and return the car to the airport. That would be about $50 and you would save the airport cab fare. You would have the flexibility to drive all along through Isla Verde Here's a beach suggestion that would give you access to facilities. http://www.sanjuan.com/public.beaches.php

The Balneario de Carolina is another government-run beach east of Isla Verde. The beach features a long stretch of sand which is comparable to the Avenida Los Gobernadores. The Balneario de Carolina is carefully surrounded with palms and almond trees. It also provides for various amenities like lifeguards, restrooms, changing facilities, picnic tables and barbeque grills. The beach is opened daily from 8 am to 6 pm. The parking costs $2 each.

Archived