TV's on Pacific Sun - AV point?

Tasheetash

Does anyone know from experience whether the TV's in the rooms on Pac Sun have external AV points. I want to take a Media Gate on the cruise so my son can watch his cartoons and kids programs/movies.

For those who are wondering what a Media Gate is it is like a DVD player but instead of using discs it has a hard drive that stores all your movies. You use the AV channel to play it.

I just need to know whether you can plug in anything to the TV's. If anyone has taken their playstation or xbox and plugged it into the tv, this connects to the tv in the same way.

Otherwise I have to take a laptop and I'd rather not as I'm flying and am weight restricted already.

Cheers in advance for any help you can give.

Tom's Mum.

Hi.

I asked the same question a little while ago, and no one seemed to really know for sure but they were of the opinion that there are no AV ins on the televisions. But you never know, maybe some of them were upgraded during the recent upgrade:D Maybe someone here that has been on a recent cruise might have noticed if they have AV in.

In about May this year they started upgrading the TVs on the Pacific Sun to LCDs. I can't answer your question but I'll have a guess and suggest they are normal TV sets and should have the AV points. We cruised with another line just a few years ago and I plugged my digital camera into the TV in the cabin. That was a CRT though.

On our Pacific Sun cruise in May '08 we had an LCD in our cabin and it was just attached to a shelf on the wall. I do remember that the TV itself was far enough from the wall to have access to the back of the set.

Sorry I can't totally answer your question for you.

With all the onboard movies, games and entertainment, I am not sure of the need to take stored media that you can watch at home anytime.

If asked a few months back, it would be a definate no. I have not read any contrary info yet with the new screens either.

Even with new flat screens, by updating 600+ I am pretty sure they will not have many frills. There are basic screens on the market geared for commercial use that do not have composite inputs. Sun Princess even had the connections removed all together, and hard wired the cable into the TV - thwarting my efforts to run the cable to the receiver on the laptop to capture the deckcam channel. I think part of the reason for a lack of connections is to prevent restricted release new movies from being captured onto hard drives for ripping to DVD - as part of the movie release conditions. It is the same with the hotels that you can get pay per view movies - everything is hard wired into the TV.

I would take Geoff's advice re this as when talking to a room steward on our last cruise, PD, he said that they don't have these connections as they don't want people using game devices etc in the rooms. I can't see that taking your own laptop would be a problem. That's what I would do. Don't forget though, they do have cartoons etc. on the tv anyway, my DH watched plenty!!!

I must say I have yet to see a modern LCD TV without AV points, but after reading Geoff's post and then remembering we are talking about P&O here, I too would now feel they would do whatever they could to stop you using the AV points. The ship we were on where they did have AVs available was not under the Cunard banner.

I see your problem with being weight restricted and a laptop will knock your allowance around. That said, if your problem is more about the number of carry-on items, I use a business cabin bag (trolley style), which has a laptop compartment as well as a general storage area and other bells and whistles. Although most standard laptops will come in around 3kgs, if you keep the rest of your carry-on items light and to a minimum you should stay under the limit.

Greg

EDIT - When I previewed this post, I realised I called the TV an LSD instead of a LCD. Psychedelic movies! :eek:

Does anyone know from experience whether the TV's in the rooms on Pac Sun have external AV points. I want to take a Media Gate on the cruise so my son can watch his cartoons and kids programs/movies.

For those who are wondering what a Media Gate is it is like a DVD player but instead of using discs it has a hard drive that stores all your movies. You use the AV channel to play it.

I just need to know whether you can plug in anything to the TV's. If anyone has taken their playstation or xbox and plugged it into the tv, this connects to the tv in the same way.

Otherwise I have to take a laptop and I'd rather not as I'm flying and am weight restricted already.

Cheers in advance for any help you can give.

Tom's Mum.

When on the Pacific Dawn in November i connected my video camera to the TV. The AV connections are at the rear on the left hand side as you look at the TV. A bit tricky to get to but it is possible. My biggest problem with the TV's was them being aimed straight into the room instead of pointed down slightly. The picture was very blurry when laying down watching TV, standing up was OK.

We have been toying with idea of buying one of those little 8.5" screen laptops for holiday purposes... We thought it would be good to write up our travel journal... ( you know the one you are really keen with at the start of the trip ... and slowly gets shorter and shorter at the end icon7.gif )... they have wireless.... and we can upload our photo's each day as a backup... they are so small they will fit in your handbag lol..

Do we need one or is it just another piece of technology and DH and I have to have:confused::confused::D

Though I did notice a catalogue yesterday that Harvey Norman are having a special with 2gig SD cards for $9...

Joanne

Archived