Novo outbreak on the Jewel?

Slyfox16

A quick update. I heard from my friend who is on the Jewel right now. Here is what she wrote me: Hey! I thought you might be interested ... they apparently lifted the some of the restrictions on the ship (due to the norovirus). Originally we weren't able to serve ourselves at the buffet. Or even put our own milk in the our coffee. But since we've been out, no one has gotten sick, so they think they've eradicated it. They still want us to sanitize our hands all over the place, but things aren't near as bad anymore.

The CDC's website doesn't make mention of any pending investigation on the Jewel since 10/18. I must say that the sanitizing efforts of the crew was extraordinary on the 10/18-10/28 cruise. They were constantly cleaning, spraying, scrubbing, polishing every square inch of surface visible on floors, walls, ceiling, everything! I just visited a hospital and I've got to tell you--the Jewel put that hospital to shame, cleanliwise.

I feel that you could confidently eat off the floor on the Jewel with complete safety.

what is the source of that data? a link perhaps?
DS signed off for vacation from the Jewel on Tuesday. His info is quite current and the latest update is a very good report in the number of reported cases. The virus seems to be under control.

I'm guessing its from her son who's a crew member on it! I don't doubt this news one bit.
Thanks James

That's probably my daughter you are referring to and I am sure there are more people who were on that cruise curious about the mask (some asked on board - which we didn't mind). But, for those who are wondering (and didn't ask). She was not contagious. She is taking medication that suppresses her immune system. So she has to protect herself from others coughing, sneezing, or whatever. The fact there was a 6% noro problem on the cruise before ours was actually a blessing for us, because it meant extra cleaning and sanitization for our cruise. She did fine for the trip and had a great time. She had one sea day that she didn't feel well, but it had nothing to do with noro.

Thank you for responding. I was not concerned at all about your daughter being contagious. I figured she was protecting herself with the mask.

coffeebean

I am very glad Jewel is getting the green light...! I hope they continue to clean and sanitize, though. Don't stop now! My cruise is in 2 weeks and if DH sees a memo about norovirus, he may fly home. He's a super germaphobe! I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone on the present cruise and upcoming cruises too.

Anyone else on the 11-14-08 sailing worried?

All the spraying took place on our cruise the week before, too. They don't cancel the entire cruise because certainly not everyone gets sick! Less than 10%, actually less than 6% on our cruise. That's a VERY small number. They'd lose the 90% - + that are fine, and who go on the cruise without incident. I was with a group of 48 people all week, and none of us got sick (well, one woman got an infected tooth and was miserable..but not sick with GAS or noro or anything resembling either illness).

These illnesses are actually pretty common in the "real world". It's just that when you're in a contained environment like that...and many people who cruise are elderly and already in poor health ... it's easy for that to be quickly spread, and for SOME people to become so ill they need to be taken off the ship.

But everyone else just goes on having a good time...with some considerations for others (using the spraying, paying attention to the health warnings, etc.)

Archived