Alcohol Stores on Board

roomgypsy

Hi there,

My husband and I were on the Millie on 3/7. He had been told by 3 different people 3 separate phone calls that yes, on the Millie there was a store where you could by alcohol for room consumption only. We got on board ship and found out that there was NOT a store like this, only the duty free which will be kept until you disembark. The other disappointing thing - the person he talked to in the store told him "your travel agent misinformed you". Funny thing - my husband was the travel agent. We still had a great time!!!

Marta

Hi back to you. Well that gave me a chuckle icon_smile.gif Maybe you need to fire that TA!!! I thought I had read that also, long ago here, that they keep your purchase until end of trip. Thanks for replying.

When we sailed the HAL Oosterdam in January, I was surprised that they let me take rum purchased on board to our room. This was the first time I had that experience. Maybe HAL will start a trend??

Lynn Obie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until 14 day Summit - San Diego to Alaska

8/1995 HAL Noordam, 6/2000 Carnival Ecstasy, 2/2002 HAL Maasdam, 3/2003 HAL Statendam, 1/2004 HAL Oosterdam, 5/2004 Celebrity Summit, 5/2005 Celebrity Infinity

I'm not sure if this is correct but what I've been told is that there is a store and you can purchase a bottle for your room. However, the cost is slightly higher then it would be if you didn't pay duty on it.

Toni

When in San Juan, I purchased a couple of bottles of spirits at the liquor store right in the pier buildling and was able to carry it directly on board with no problem. I even laid the bag with the bottles down on the x-ray machine at the gang-way and ship security didn't do/say anything.

RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas /1990 / Eastern Caribbean

HAL's Rotterdam V / 1993 /Alaska

Princess' Royal Princess/ 1998 / Baltic Sea

Celebrity's Century / August 2003 / Eastern Caribbean

Celebrity's Mercury / 11/26/04 / Mexican Riviera -Honeymoon Cruise

LynnObie ... HAL has now joined the others in banning bringing booze aboard. Sometimes you can walk through and there is no comment ... other times they will confiscate it. Probably depends on who is watching.

Spender Nui... I agree that it probably depends on who is watching when you try to bring it aboard. What I said was that I purchased it on board the Oosterdam AND took it with me to my room. This was a first! I did not question the clerk, but just assumed it was new as I had never been allowed to do that on previous HAL cruises.

Lynn Obie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until 14 day Summit - San Diego to Alaska

8/1995 HAL Noordam, 6/2000 Carnival Ecstasy, 2/2002 HAL Maasdam, 3/2003 HAL Statendam, 1/2004 HAL Oosterdam, 5/2004 Celebrity Summit, 5/2005 Celebrity Infinity

I have read it both ways. Apparently it depends on the cruise. We have been able to purchase liquor in the duty free shop for the cabin on some cruises, on others we were told no, it would be kept until the last day. On still others we payed an extra charge to take it to the cabin.

If I remember correctly it was on the last 4 cruises that we could not take it back to the cabin, extra charge or not.

Zenith from Jacksonville

Feb. 13 05

On my last cruise, the Constellation in November, we were allowed to take liquor purchased in the onboard shop back to our rooms at no extra charge but we had to take it from the store in our own bags. I think the liquor store is a concession or licensee of Celebrity and makes its own rules on an ad hoc basis. If so, the situation will vary from one cruise to the next.

You can purchase a bottle for consumption in your stateroom at any cocktail bar on the ship but at a higher price..Purchased a bottle of J & B for $25.00 on our cruise last month...Price is high but the taste is satisfying......

sailed on Constellation on 3/27 and was told we could purchase in port and walk right on (saw many, many doing this) and was also told by the cashier in the onboard store that as long as we had a bag of some type to put it in, we could take it immeidately back to our room and enjoy! Onboard stores are only open during sailing, and not in ports.

We were on the Millie one yr. ago. I went to the liquor store the moment they opened(no one else was in the store) and acted stupid. When I purchased the liquor the man said he would put the liquor away until Saturday and I said sadly "I can't have it delivered to my room?" He looked at me and said I will have it delivered as soon as possible ma'am! icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't tried to purchase alcohol on a Celebrity ship, but we did do this on Rhapsody. The difference in the price is the “duty†paid on each bottle which we paid for on Rhapsody (it was about a$10 difference). I suspect that if you offer to pay the difference on a Celebrity ship they will let you take your purchase back to your room. It seems to be the “duty free†thing that creates a problem for on board purchases. This is just a hunch on my part, but it might be worth a shot to offer to pay the duty for in room consumption.

icon_cool.gif

Century 10/00

Millennium 12/01

Rhapsody of the Seas 5/02

Rhapsody of the Seas 11/02

Infinity 5/03

Archived