electric scooters on board

eastcoastcruisers

Has anybody had experience with bringing an electric scooter on board. Do you have to have some kind of medical clearance to bring them on board?

My Dad travels on a medical scooter and had no issues bringing/riding it on board both of our NCL cruises. No medical paperwork is required.

A couple of notes though.

1) They will not fit through the door of a regular cabin and according to NCL regulations, you are not supposed to leave them out in the halls. However, I have seen them parked near elevators at night. Charging can be difficult if you aren't in a HC room that the scooter will fit in as you will have to find a public place to charge it.

2) Tendering at ports can be difficult,and sometimes, they will not allow scooters on board tenders. It can depend on not only the weather ( if seas are rough, forget going on a tender with a scooter) and also can depend on the dock where you are tendering too. On our recent Canada/New England cruise, the weather was beautiful in Bar Harbor and the seas calm. However, my father was not allowed to go on the tender with the scooter as Bar Harbor dock authority says that their ramps are too steep and unsafe for scootes and wheel chairs.

Honestly, your best bet is to look for cruises with as little tendering ports as possible to assure that you will be able to get off the ship with your scooter.

CG

Does your father's scooter collapse? We have used a collapsable scooter on RCL and were able to leave it in the hallway. In fact I remember a few cruises on RCL where I have passed scooters in the hallway. We have notified NCL that we are bringing the scooter on board and they have said nothing about requiring a handicap room to accomodate the scooter.

Has anybody had experience with bringing an electric scooter on board. Do you have to have some kind of medical clearance to bring them on board?

Hi,:)

My husband and I will be cruising on the Norwegian Dawn on Nov. 02 and he will be using a scooter which we've rented from Care Vacations. This is the company that NCL uses for such rentals. The scooter will be waiting for us onboard when we arrive. My husband uses a walker and will use that when we go ashore.

I would suggest that you contact NCL's accessdesk@ncl.com and tell them you are bringing your own scooter. This way they will be aware of your situation.

Enjoy your cruise.

Happytotravel:):)

Thanks for your suggestion with contacting access. I will do that. We are traveling with a large group and I believe that another passenger will be ordering a rental scooter to use when we go ashore. Do you think it will be a problem to leave the scooters in the hallway at night?

Does your father's scooter collapse? We have used a collapsable scooter on RCL and were able to leave it in the hallway. In fact I remember a few cruises on RCL where I have passed scooters in the hallway. We have notified NCL that we are bringing the scooter on board and they have said nothing about requiring a handicap room to accomodate the scooter.

My dad's does collapse into two pieces but it's not one of the travel scooters and even broken down, it's awkward and big. So that's really not an option for us.

Regarding keeping them in the hallway longterm (overnight), I honestly wouldn't do that. The hallways are narrow and even a small scooter parked in the hallway can cause a real road block. Someone in a wheel chair, another scooter, or even a room service cart will have a difficult time getting by. I would simply let the person ride it to the room and get off, then have someone else run it back to the elevator area where there's a lot more room and it won't be in anyone's way.

We've always booked HC rooms but on our Majesty cruise coming up in June, all the HC rooms were obstructed OV's so we went with a suite which is not HC. We plan on letting the scooter stay near the elevators at night.

CG

Thanks for your suggestion with contacting access. I will do that. We are traveling with a large group and I believe that another passenger will be ordering a rental scooter to use when we go ashore. Do you think it will be a problem to leave the scooters in the hallway at night?

Hi again,:)

I would ask your room steward where the best place to leave your scooter? We are in an AB balcony so I'm not sure if the scooter will get through that door or not. If not, the room steward will know the best place to put it.

Someone in an earlier thread mentioned to take along a heavy duty extension cord to use especially in your cabin as the outlet may not be in a convenient area.

Have a good day,:):)

happytotravel

I don't have specific knowledge of how they were used but on the Sun in Sept., there were a number of passengers using them.

I loved the woman on the Alaskan portion of our voyage who had a cute bicycle horn on hers.

This leads me to believe that that storage and recharging must not be very difficult.

One problem my mother ran into on the Majesty, she has her own scooter, it is a small one that is extremely colapsible, but it couldn't get over the lips on the doors and in the hallways. She had to have someone pick it up over the lips. A larger scooter with bigger wheels would be better.

Archived