Xmas Dinner

tattydog

Hi, I'm an English Mum with kids and husband on Splendour Dec 24- Jan 2.

This may sound really odd but I was wondering what to expect for my Christmas dinner. We are traditional and love turkey, my husband loves bread sauce- is this an American thing too?

Also do you have Christmas pudding? and sausages wrapped in bacon.

I m sorry if I sound weird but I was just wondering if there were cultural differences. I know that turkey is your meat of choice for Thanksgiving.

Thanks Lesley:rolleyes:

Feeling like 'billy no mates' coz posted 4 times and no replies:(

Hi Tattydog,sorry I don't have an answer to your dining question as I've never cruised over Christmas. I'm sure they will offer some form of turkey,among the choice's.The other 2 foods you mentioned must be an English tradition,as I'm not familiar with them at all. Anyway, I know what it feels like to be new to the boards,and not get many reply's to a query. Welcome,and don't give up on us. We're a good bunch here,at least "most" of us are.LOL

Dont get your hopes down yet either, Cruise lines serve much more than just an american fare, they serve dishes from around the world!!!

Even on non holiday sailings you can enjoy turkey more than once on a typical RCCL Cruise!

We may have the same things you enjoy, but in USA culture just might be called different!

We are sailing over the holidays also only we will be on the Brilliance. We have never sailed this time of year, but I would think that with many international travelers being on the ship, that they would try to have a few favorites from different countries. And if not, you will still be sailing on a wonderful ship during a wonderful time of year. Can't ask for much more.

Tom, in your post referring to your scans of the Christmas dinner I learned something new. I have never been able to read any of the scans I've seen -- all these years -- and that has always bugged me. Now you point out that all that was necessary was to click on "normal size", rather than the default "fit to window" and I can see!! Thank you, thank you for that little tidbit that will make things so much easier!

We usually cruise at Christmas. Being Canadians, we too enjoy "British" traditions like Christmas pudding, etc. Unfortunately you won't find these on board. But, turkey, stuffing, cranberries, gravy, brussel sproats, etc. will be available - and lots of it. The decorations on the ship are beautiful, Santa arrives in the morning and hands out gifts to all kids (17 and under). Pack some pudding or Christmas cake in your suitcase if you must.

You will really enjoy being able to spend the day with your family and having someone else take care of the cooking and cleaning. We have found that while the ship is full of kids, it does give us extra time to spend with our small family. At home I am usually exhausted from last minute shopping, cleaning the house etc, to really enjoy Christmas Day. Cruising gives us the opportunity to spend time together, go to church and of course, eat, drink and be merry together.

For the first time in many years we are staying home this year - I am envious of your Christmas cruise.

Enjoy!

Sue

PS - I always bring a little something from home for our cabin steward and waiters to give them on Christmas Day. They are away from their families on this special day, and they have always been very appreciative of this small gesture.

Thanks everyone, now I'm even MORE excited....if thats possible!!

Thank you everyone! I feel included now. Thanks Tom for the Menus- Maybe I'll try something different....mmm....but I just love Turkey. Seeing them made it all seem more tangible and real- thanks again.

Cheers Sue, I'm so busy, planning and shopping for everything before we go, that I had forgotten gifts for staff- thanks for the reminder-

Any ideas- especially from England- we don't all shop at Harrods!!!!!!

Santa (Father Christmas) for the kids- cool

Hello tattydog,

We are also from the north west of England.We live near Bolton.

Interestingly we will also be sailing with Royal Caribbean on the 24th December on Brilliance of the Seas from Miami.Never sailed at Xmas with R.C.C.L. In the past we have been away but with P.O. at Xmas.

Not sure what to expect with R.C.C.L. at Xmas allthough we have cruised with them before on other ships.

I notice you sail from Tampa.When are you flying out?

I am sure you will enjoy Splendour and have a great Xmas.

Regards,

Iain(hallsuk2)

I'm from the UK but have lived in the US for about 15 years now. You are right, Thanksgiving is the big turkey meal here - large both in the amount of food eaten and often in the size of family groups that reunite for that Holiday. Many people get that break as a 4 day weekend while Christmas is only one day off work. Boxing Day is not a Holiday here....

A lot of people in the US have not heard of Boxing Day - they think it must be some fight over Xmas presents..... Our son was born on Dec 26 ( he will be 9 this year on the Navigator) so I often end up telling the origins of that name.

This will be our first Holiday cruise and we are really looking forward to having someone else cooking and looking after us - even if I won't get my Christmas Pudding and Brandy Sauce.....

Hello! I love Christmas pudding too with the brandy sauce. I actually took my own onboard with me last year and asked the waiter to keep it in the fridge until Christmas dinner evening. They then served it with the sauce for our table. I brought enough for 10! It was a real treat.

For Christmas cruises, you'll be amazed at how much fun and festivities there are on each of the ships. The decorations were beautiful and kids activities were very cute with a visit from Santa Claus. We had a Christmas carol sing-along in the atrium on Christmas Eve which was really very lovely.

To make it special for our Cabin attendant, I baked plenty of cookies which I took onboard and provided a full tin for the staff. They were so appreciative and it made the holiday sailing really special for everyone.

Enjoy your cruise. I only wish I were going with you!

:D

Ah, Tattydog, that brings back childhood memories. My grandfather carving the turkey at the table, ever so slowly, and the kids being served last. Funny, two of my favourites were the bread sauce and the oatmeal stuffing but you won't find them on this side of the pond. I also loved the plum pud my grannie made, with custard. North of Watford, they serve custard. South of Watford, they serve cream. After the dinner, my grandfather would light up a cigar, the only one he had all year. To this day, the smell of cigars takes me right back to my childhood Christmas.

We have not cruised over Xmas before but this year we sail on the Navigator on Xmas Eve. Which deprives our two daughters of the Boxing Day Sales in Canada. As compensation, I think I have been talked into arriving early so they can do Sawgrass Mills before we sail.

When I was a younger, there was quite a lot of people working on Xmas Day in Scotland. I've done it myself, delivering mail. The Post Office hired loads of students to deliver the Xmas mail. Sorry, bit off topic, are we not?

Funny what people will lug across the Atlantic. I have two friends who go into ecstasies if I bring back some Kendal Mint Cake. Not sure if your Phillipino cabin steward would appreciate that, but there's a suggestion.

To all the Brits posting here---please tell me about bread sauce. What is it? My ancestry is English and I have never heard of this dish. I would love to know what it is. Maybe prepare it for my family!!

Thanks!!

I'm sorry to tell you their turkey is not like what we think of as Turkey!!! We went on Explorer over Thanksgiving and I couldnn''t have been more disappointed! I'm not a big foodee but I love the tradition! The turkey was some kind of processed meat!!! It was not a carved turkey! I spoke to the waiter about it but there was nothing they could do about it. I was surprised they wouldn't have had REAL whole turkey. What could be easier? I think the chefs and the people who serve you are not into the turkey dinner thing. It is a cultural thing. Other than that the food was fine!

In the past we have taken a small box of chocolates or shortbread along with a Christmas card. Last year we gave out international calling cards as on our previous Christmas cruise (Hawaii to New Zealand - absolute paradise), we noticed long lines of crew members at the pay phones in each port. That got us to thinking that perhaps a calling card to help with expensive calls home would be beneficial, but I must say that the staff did not seem "thrilled" with the cards. Of course, cash tucked inside a Christmas card is never a bad choice either.

There will be carolling in the centrum on Christmas Eve, and you will enjoy a New Year's celebration like no other. Towers of free champagne, everyone dressed to the nines, and you can eat, drink and dance the night away.

We found the turkey served at Christmas different than that served on "regular" cruises. No complaints about our Christmas dinner - oven roasted and delicious. And of course, when you're finished, you just get up and walk away from the table. What a treat!

Sue

Feeling like 'billy no mates' coz posted 4 times and no replies:(

I see you've had plenty of answers to your question about Christman food (US style) so I won't go there, but I have the reverse problem....I usually respond to someone and end up killing their thread. Hope I don't hex you this time.

BTW-We're flying home on Christmas day so will probably be limited to those fantastic airline meals. That'll be a good day to start a diet!

LOL

-Monte

I'm intrigued by interest in bread sauce! MARTHAS- have emailed my favourite recipe to you- cant say as to how authentic it is but it tastes good- if you dont want to stud an onion with cloves then just warm the milk with onion in it and add some warm spices such as nutmeg or cinnamon- just a pinch. I process bread into breadcrumbs with a Magimix. Be carefully not to let it burn - it does catch easily on the bottom of the pan

Or failing that go to Marks and Spencers Food Department......

Rala- bread sauce is onion and spice white sauce made with milk, and breadcrumbs mixed in it. It is thick and usually lumpy but goes excellently with turkey or ham- usually the driest meats.

Tinkerme1- I wonder if I could get a pudding across on the flight with all the security restrictions?

hallsUK2- we are flying into miami on 18/12. spending time at Sawgrass outlet ( a must for shopping), then boarding on 24/12. flying back Tampa via Miami to Manchester on 5/1

I don't think you'll have any trouble at all with the pudding. Just make sure it doesn't include the "charms" inside the pudding! If you make your own, it would be easy to get onboard. I would definitely carry it onboard with you. It will be xrayed, but still taste wonderful! The worst that can happen is it will not be allowed and you'll need to give it to someone before you board or throw it away....heaven forbid! If it means that much to you, I'd certainly try! :D

I think you may find christmas pudding and hard (brandy) sauce. Ive been on both RCCL and Princess over the holidays, but I can't remember which line had it.

Actually, christmas pudding and brandy or hard sauce is one of the many Holiday traditions in the US.

I usually have a pre-Christmas dinner at my home the week before we cruise so that we can all enjoy our favorites. Then on Christmas RCI does the cooking. Yes, Turkey is on the menu and I have Christmas pudding on one ship so you never know. It really depends upon the chef.

Archived