handbaggage and toiletries...

Laticfanatic617

just added this as a hint for someone on our roll call but made me think that it could be handy for others....

my wife is a security supervisor at a major british airport, so it's kinda straight from the hot seat as such..(i was gonna say from the horses mouth, but if she ever got to read this i'm a dead man!!)

it's to answer the question on what we can take in our H/L etc..

basically speaking.....

if you can..

POUR IT

PUMP IT

SQUEEZE IT

SPREAD IT

SMEAR IT

SPRAY IT

OR SPILL IT... you can't take it unless........

it's in it's container.. 100ml maximum!

with a grand total of 1ltr (ie 10 x 100ml containers!) ...

oh yeah and in a clear plastic bag....

8inch x 8 inch....

one per passenger....

presented at security....

seperate from your hand luggage!

to add....they are still confiscating tons of the stuff so don't think you know better or try to by-pass the system... my wife bores me to death will tales of how people argue the toss over a bottle of suntan lotion, only to lose it all the same!!

hope this is of some help....as i'm running out of room in my garage!!

SunnySide,

I haven't been on a flight (of any sort) since before all the increases in security and the added restrictions.

What I am wondering is this, at what point in my journey through the airport is the passage through security? Is it before I get to the shops and other facilities that are 'airside'? If so, can I purchase toiletries and things like suntan lotion once through scurity or do I have to go through aother check between the shops and the plane where I could lose my purchases if they were to exceed the currentprescribed limits?

Sorry of this seems to be a daft question but I rarely travel by plane and so have little experience of airports.

Feebee_71 :)

What I am wondering is this, at what point in my journey through the airport is the passage through security?

The last time I flew was a flight out of Heathrow, June 2007, to join a cruise in Rome. IIRC we went through two lots of security - once immediately after checking in, and again when we reached, or got near to, the departure gate. There were bag screening machines, etc, in both locations.

However - once having reached the Gate area, there were indeed some shops selling toiletries, etc.

SunnySide,

I haven't been on a flight (of any sort) since before all the increases in security and the added restrictions.

What I am wondering is this, at what point in my journey through the airport is the passage through security? Is it before I get to the shops and other facilities that are 'airside'? If so, can I purchase toiletries and things like suntan lotion once through scurity or do I have to go through aother check between the shops and the plane where I could lose my purchases if they were to exceed the currentprescribed limits?

Sorry of this seems to be a daft question but I rarely travel by plane and so have little experience of airports.

easy to answer......

all airports are now re-modelling their 'departure' area's because of the security aspects of flying....

in airport jargon they seperate them by the words LANDSIDE & AIRSIDE

LANDSIDE (L/S)..... the airport areas you arrive at from whatever transport methods you use, upto and including check in ..... then as far as the main security areas!

AIRSIDE (A/S).... everything beyond that point!

now airports ( i generalise, but use manchester as my example!) had shops before the security search areas and beyond .... ie WHSmiths A/S , then duty free L/S ... once the security level stepped up, it caused lots of problems as people bought a paper, sweets and a drink at WHSmiths, then went through security and lost the liquids etc....

so now they (manchester!) have little or no shops L/S to eliminate this problem.... for example terminal 1 at MAN used to have check in, then down a big ramp into a big departure area full of all sorts of shops etc... now the security search area is almost next door to the check in desks! THEN all the shops are A/S so once through the search area you can buy whatever you like!!! i believe terminal 2 is similar!!!

the only slight difference is that any flight going to the USA has an extra search at the gate...but that won't include the liquid aspect of things!!!

airports in europe i can't speak for....all countries follow a basic 'code' but some are 'stricter' than others....

the trick is IMHO .....arrive! check in! through security! then eat and go shopping!! to some it seems like a pain in the rear to go through all of this, personally speaking i don't see it that way... i'm glad to be searched, and to know others are... nothing more than 5 mins of your holiday for virtual peace of mind!

hope that helps!!! get all your 'smellies' from boots A/S or buy them prior to getting to the airport and stick em in your main suitcase/s that you check in!!

Hi SunnySide & Tom_UK,

Many thanks for the replies to my daft question - can't believe I had to ask about something so simple but airports and I are not bosom buddies!!

I am travelling from Gatwick to Montego Bay to board Artemis for her return trip across the Atlantic to Southampton in March. I plan to pre-buy and pack most of my toiletries in my case but am making contingency plans in case I hit my weight limit (I travel alone so can't share suitcase space and weight allowances with anyone else!!) and can shed weight by buying at the airport.

My other ingenious plan is to buy warm weather clothes once I reach the Caribbean soI can save weight and space on the outward leg of my cruise - no worries about weight limits on the way back, only what I can safely move.

With this in mind, can anyone recommend if I will be able to buy shorts & t-shirts, lightweight skirts and sundresses in Montego Bay or is there somewhere better to try?

With this in mind, can anyone recommend if I will be able to buy shorts & t-shirts, lightweight skirts and sundresses in Montego Bay or is there somewhere better to try?

i have never been to M-B but all the other carribean islands i've been to have these kinda duty free shopping centres at the ports... aswell as the obvious-booze, a lot of shops sell clothing! in fact, you find that most fella's buy their tropical shirts from these places for the 'themed' night on board ship!

then you head into the towns themselves (size of island permitting!) and they have all manner of shopping outlets!!

i'm sure someone will be along soon who has actually been to M-B and tell you where the best shops are to get your stuff from!

Archived