Taxi to Ferry, Taxi to Victoria

Coming in on the Mariner on May 27, 2009. We are staying in a hotel in Victoria for a couple days. After hours of research on the best way to get to Victoria and back to the Vancouver airport, I am leaning towards this itinerary.

We will be flying out of the harbour to get to the airport from Victoria.

So, upon disembarking from their cruise ship has anyone just used a taxi to get to the ferry and from the ferry to their hotel in Victoria? I realize that this is about two 20 mile legs, but the PacificCoach approach is very time inclusive (have to wait until 11 and don't arrive in Victoria until 3:30ish), so I will only do that if there are no other options.

Thanks.

So, upon disembarking from their cruise ship has anyone just used a taxi to get to the ferry and from the ferry to their hotel in Victoria? I realize that this is about two 20 mile legs, but the PacificCoach approach is very time inclusive (have to wait until 11 and don't arrive in Victoria until 3:30ish), so I will only do that if there are no other options

The Vancouver-Tsawwassen leg is closer to 25 miles (and $75), and 45 minutes. However, no matter how skilled you are at this route (and I lived in Victoria for 25 years, and commuted back and forth to Vancouver weekly for the last 4 of those), the best you can really get it down to is 3h30m, and that's arriving 10 mins before sailing, having the staff know you well enough that they'll let you on a sailing that has already closed, and knowing to walk off on the lower vehicle deck (with pet owners) who are the 1st people off the boat.

The 3h45m schedule that the bus company gets is very hard to meet, as they get preferential treatment loading/unloading on the ferries.

As for the bus, I'm guessing you're looking at the bus schedule for now (winter where the ferries every other hour on the odd hours) as opposed to the summer when they run every hour. There will be buses at 9:45, 10:45, 11:45, 12:45, 13:45, 14:45, 15:30 and so on.. (they leave a :30 during rush hour times 7-9, 3-6) catching the 11, 12, 1pm, 2pm etc ferry.

If you time it such that you're on an odd hour ferry, they're a lot nicer/larger S class (Spirit of BC, Spirit of Vancouver Island) ferries built in the 1990s, than the even hour V class (Queen of Saanich, Queen of Vancouver built in the early 1960s) -- although a brand-new super C class is supposed to replace one of the V class vessels for 2009.

Also, with the bus, your luggage goes on in Vancouver and you pick it up in Victoria, as opposed to lugging it on and off the boat, or 'checking' it with the mass of luggage on the ferry (which will add 15 min on the pickup side).

ScottBee,

Thanks, you are a wealth of knowledge. I think that answers it right there, as we just didn't want to wait until 11.

"As for the bus, I'm guessing you're looking at the bus schedule for now (winter where the ferries every other hour on the odd hours) as opposed to the summer when they run every hour. There will be buses at 9:45, 10:45, 11:45, 12:45, 13:45, 14:45, 15:30 and so on.. (they leave a :30 during rush hour times 7-9, 3-6) catching the 11, 12, 1pm, 2pm etc ferry."

Thanks again.

ScottBee,

Thanks, you are a wealth of knowledge. I think that answers it right there, as we just didn't want to wait until 11.

"As for the bus, I'm guessing you're looking at the bus schedule for now (winter where the ferries every other hour on the odd hours) as opposed to the summer when they run every hour. There will be buses at 9:45, 10:45, 11:45, 12:45, 13:45, 14:45, 15:30 and so on.. (they leave a :30 during rush hour times 7-9, 3-6) catching the 11, 12, 1pm, 2pm etc ferry."

Now, if you're comfortable taking your own luggage, and you're traveling from Canada Place (where Regent docks), and you need to get to Pacific Station, the fastest way is going to be on Skytrain (subway). Exit the cruise terminal/Canada Place, and look ahead on your left, 1/2 block (not far from where the cruise car park exits). You'll see a set of escalators going down from street marked "Skytrain" or "Translink" in yellow and blue, take them down one level. Buy a one zone ticket, turn 90 degrees left and go down about 10 steps (sorry, no escalator here but it's a lot shorter than the 2 block walk to get to the elevator.) to the platform. Board any subway train on your left (the ones on the right are just arriving to turn around). Ride it for 4 stops (Burrard,Granville,Stadium, then...), and get out at "Main Street/Science World". Take the elevator down to the street level, and cross the street to the train/bus station (huge old building marked "Pacific Station"). Total trip time, 5 minutes, total cost $2.50/ea. That will be [much] faster than lining up for a cab, and about 1/2 the price

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.00045045c7099855bc7d9&ll=49.278501,-123.08507&spn=0.031133,0.090981&t=h&z=14

Looks like Pacific Coach to Victoria and Harbour Air back to the airport.

Thanks for all of you help.

We don't mind subways, but in Manhatten NY we did go down the wrong side of the street one time, paid, and then realized our mistake before getting on. "Sorry...you need to go the other side and pay again." We do alot better if someone else is doing the thinking (while we are on vacation), I guess, is what I am saying. Good info though.

I have been giving my wife a little bit of a bad time about this Victoria trip, as she just had to go there, but I KNOW she had no idea how difficult it was to get there and back. Either way, I feel good about it now, and I am sure it will be worth it!!!

Thanks again.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on the Bus. Pacific Coast has the route and has had it for a long time. They get you first on and first off the ferry that you book for and it works.

Harbour air. You would not want to fly back to Vancouver Harbour. You want to arrive out at the Vancouver airport/or near the south Terminal at YVR on floats. Unless you are staying down town again of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you'll be on your way home from Victoria, it may not be important for your baggage to get there when you do but you probably want to see it eventually. Both major float plane carriers flying out of Victoria harbour have a baggage allowance of 25 lbs per person including carry-ons, with excess baggage being carried only if space and weight are available. These are small planes, and I also think you can't check your baggage through....

Thanks for everyone's help. Booking today. Also was informed they have a shuttle to get us from the water at the airport to the main terminal.

Although, if you have the time, the float plane facility at YVR has a great pub "The Flying Beaver"

Archived