Bring back bar servers in the MDR!

I just got off a nine day cruise on Grandeur and we noticed that there are no longer bar servers in the MDR. We asked our waiter, Alexis, about it and he said that they no longer have them and it is the waiter's resposibility to get you alcoholic drinks now. He said that they all complained about it but it did no good. While our service was still outstanding in the dining room we did miss the bar servers as I believe the waiters are already overworked. Has anyone encountered this on other ships? On a brighter note......We did get a chocolate on our pillow every night.:p

I just got off a nine day cruise on Grandeur and we noticed that there are no longer bar servers in the MDR. We asked our waiter, Alexis, about it and he said that they no longer have them and it is the waiter's resposibility to get you alcoholic drinks now. He said that they all complained about it but it did no good. While our service was still outstanding in the dining room we did miss the bar servers as I believe the waiters are already overworked. Has anyone encountered this on other ships? On a brighter note......We did get a chocolate on our pillow every night.:p

It's been like this for at least 2 years. It has been our assistant who has been getting the drinks on our last few cruises. Funny thing is, I think the assistant tries harder.

It's been like this for at least 2 years. It has been our assistant who has been getting the drinks on our last few cruises. Funny thing is, I think the assistant tries harder.

Negative..... The assistants would get the non-alcoholic drinks, but the bar guys brought the hard stuff. There was one on each half of deck in the MDR. Up until now..............

Wow, a server told me this was going to happen just a couple of weeks ago on the Enchantment, but it sounded so ridiculous I thought he had to be mistaken. The waiters already have enough to do, why would they add getting bar drinks to that list? Also, what's the benefit to this? I don't see how RCCL is making any money with this move and it may be hurting the earning potential of the bar servers. Bad move IMO.

This is going to be a bit weird but, I remember when they also had someliers. During those cruises, my liquor bill was usually in the $900/week range ( I love wine). It is now in the $100 range per week. I'm 'scared' tht if they bring them back, we'll start spending liek crazy again.

Negative..... The assistants would get the non-alcoholic drinks, but the bar guys brought the hard stuff. There was one on each half of deck in the MDR. Up until now..............

Mariner still has barwaits. Assistant waiter brings non-alcoholic, like iced tea.

This is going to be a bit weird but, I remember when they also had someliers. During those cruises, my liquor bill was usually in the $900/week range ( I love wine). It is now in the $100 range per week. I'm 'scared' tht if they bring them back, we'll start spending liek crazy again.

We remember the good ole days when there were someliers also. We didn't like it when they did away w/ the someliers...not because we drink that much wine...but don't like the waiters and asst having to deal with the wine along w/ all of the food too. I certainly hope they haven't completely done away with the bar waiters in the MDR. If the waiters/asst are having to deal w/ all alcohol in addition to food...it will definitely tax their ability to provide good service. They definitely will get hit up on the survey at the end of each cruise for that change.

:p We were on the Empress Sept. '07 and Jez was the very best bar attendant at the MDR! We each (4 of us) ordered a drink the first night and each night after our drinks were waiting for us when we got to dinner. The second night we ordered a second round and each night after when we were finished with our first drink..magically the second appeared (there was no obligation or pressure to purchase) the timing was perfect! He got a great tip and our heartfelt THANKS! We'll miss him!

There were bar servers on Mariner in 12/07. I can't imagine why RCCL would do this, it invariably would mean less bar revenue since the waiter or assistant would have to do the running and they just don't have time to do that and everything else too. Alcohol is huge money maker and the salary a bar person makes is negligible so it doesn't make sense that they would sacrifice the revenue. Hope this is wrong, we sail next week will let you know what happens.

Just got off the majesty this morning -- no bar servers in the DR - the waiter or the assistant got the bevs.

When we sailed Majesty in February this year there was an excellent bar server in the MDR. I am sorry to hear that his services are no longer available. He was a character. He will be missed. maybe he is elsewhere on the ship.

Mariner still has barwaits. Assistant waiter brings non-alcoholic, like iced tea.

We just got off of The Mariner and were pleasantly surprised to see them in the dining room.

My nicest surprise was to see the "After Dinner Shooters" being brought around again every night. :D

We just got off of The Mariner and were pleasantly surprised to see them in the dining room.

My nicest surprise was to see the "After Dinner Shooters" being brought around again every night. :D

We had bar service on Liberty last month. We had to ask the bartender about the after dinner shooters though. He brought them for us and then he came every night with them. They did not go around the dining room with a tray full of them though. He told us they didn't do that anymore. Guess it is different on every ship.

No bar waiters or "shooter girl" on Indy this summer. We did have a "shooter girl" on Radiance this spring.

I do know that since they did away with the wine stewards and now the bar waiter and shooter person, our dinner liquor purchases are way less than they used to be. We used to enjoy lingering over wine or a drink after dinner. On our last few cruises, we haven't taken a chance on an expensive wine because the the waiter and assistant didn't seem to have a good knowledge of wines and after dinner we felt somewhat pressed to leave the dining room even though we always choose second seating.

I know there are a lot of people who are not affected, but for us, a good wine and an after dinner cordial always were part of our MDR dinner experience.

Strangely enough, even though we didn't have a bar server at dinner we did get after dinner shooters every night. The head waiter came around with a tray of them and then our waiter had to get our seapass to charge us. Things just didn't seem to flow very well.

I think I must be one of the only people who would be glad to see them gone. When I was on the JOS for both of my previous cruises I found them annoying always trying to sell me alcohol every night (when I don't drink.)

I can't remember the last land-based restaurant I went to that had a separate bar server. I believe either waiter or asst. waiters can be up to the task if trained properly.

Keeping the chocolate on the pillows and the surcharges out of the MDR are far higher on my priority list than bar servers.

We had a bar server on Explorer in Sept. She was great and it seemed she came around every night. We were not consistently purchasing cocktails but often enough that she was there. The assistant waiter brought the wine, even if it was just a glass.

Our bar server was the best we had on any cruise. On other cruises they only came by the first night. It was nice to be asked every night if we wanted something. I hope they stay.:)

Archived