Bring back bar servers in the MDR!

We just got off of The Mariner and were pleasantly surprised to see them in the dining room.

My nicest surprise was to see the "After Dinner Shooters" being brought around again every night. :D

Alexis - welcome back! How was your cruise?

I'm on the Mariner in a few weeks and will look forward to the after dinner shooters being brought around. Were they being served in the "Loving Cups"? :rolleyes:

I think I must be one of the only people who would be glad to see them gone. When I was on the JOS for both of my previous cruises I found them annoying always trying to sell me alcohol every night (when I don't drink.)

I can't remember the last land-based restaurant I went to that had a separate bar server. I believe either waiter or asst. waiters can be up to the task if trained properly.

Keeping the chocolate on the pillows and the surcharges out of the MDR are far higher on my priority list than bar servers.

I've been on my fare share of cruises and have never seen the bar servers pushing drinks. In fact its always been the opposite. The first night they discover who their customers are going to be and thats who they cater to. Waiters in regular joints don't have 30 + customers at one time.

This thread is a perfect example of the misaprehension that prevails about RCCL. Folk seem to think there is a fleet wide standard of service and amenities across all ships. Nothing could be further from the truth, the more I cruise with them the less I expect ships to be any more than similar.

A good Head of Department can transform his domain almost overnight, and it goes without saying that a good Captain runs a "good" ship.

Luv

Cy:)

I don't get it. Don't they think more people would order "adult" beverages if the bar service was made more available. When we were on Freedom last month we were only offered a drink from the bar on the first night. My husband and I both ordered a drink and then the next night - nothing. After sitting in the MDR for 45 minutes on the second night, we finally asked the head waiter if it would be possible to order a drink from the bar. This is the first cruise we ever experienced this lack of bar service. We made to sure to stop at a bar and take a drink with us to dinner after this happened. When we were on Freedom 2 years ago we had such great bar service in the MDR that we tipped our bar server $20 on the last night.

We sail the Freedom in May. My DH and friend will be heartbroken if there isn't a bar waiter in the MDR. The last one we had on the Mariner, Viktor, was spectacular! I can just see it now, two men walking into the MDR with a drink in each hand. They will probably make me and my friend carry two for them as well. The horror! :eek:

It's been like this for at least 2 years. It has been our assistant who has been getting the drinks on our last few cruises. Funny thing is, I think the assistant tries harder.

I don't know on what ships the bar servers were missing on in the past 2 years -- we've had them on every ship, every sailing including the Grandeur. The latest was the Liberty a few weeks ago.

Alexis - welcome back! How was your cruise?

I'm on the Mariner in a few weeks and will look forward to the after dinner shooters being brought around. Were they being served in the "Loving Cups"? :rolleyes:

Yes, we have been back for about 3 weeks now.

Everything about that ship was fabulous. The Captain is a HOOT!! The crew is GREAT!!

I had no complaints at all except the usual: elevators can't deal with all the people trying to get places all at once when there is something special going on. Like dinner. :D

I do plan on sailing her again when she comes to the West Coast.

We loved her. ;)

Yes, the "Shooters" were in a different color "Loving Cup" each night. :D

Have a great time on her and let me know when you get back if she is still the same as the last time you sailed her.

Sure hope this doesn't turn out to be fleet wide. Our Bar Server, Junior, on our Freedom Cruise in June '08 was GREAT!!! We loved him! We (3 couples) all tipped him well on the last night. He not only provided great service he was a wonderful guy and I hope to see him again on the High Seas.

I don't know on what ships the bar servers were missing on in the past 2 years -- we've had them on every ship, every sailing including the Grandeur. The latest was the Liberty a few weeks ago.

Taking a quick look at your list shows you haven't been on all 17 ships and you have not been on the same ships a I have. I speak for the ships I've been on and the service I've recieved.

Who serves me really doesn't matter as long I'm served.

Taking a quick look at your list shows you haven't been on all 17 ships and you have not been on the same ships a I have. I speak for the ships I've been on and the service I've recieved.

Who serves me really doesn't matter as long I'm served.

But it's not the first time you have answered questions in broad brush answers that can not possibly be true. Since you have not been on all 17 ships in the last 2 years then your statement was false! (I can guarantee you bar servers in the MDR have not been gone for 2 years AND that I know what is on the promowave!)

As I have said here before... there is too much posting just to say something without regard to what is fact and what is fiction. Misinformation is what gets people upset and starts the nasty threads that have a life of their own. Stick to the facts Lynnees -- then you won't have to be defending yourself so much. (As a professional travel agent we expect a little more out of you! Take some clues from Sue L! Just honest, factual posts with great info for all of us.)

Archived