Private Shore Excursions

dleighb

My family and I will be traveling on the Zuiderdam Dec 29 cruise to Panama. The shore excursion that I wanted to do in Costa Rica combining the aerial tram and zip lining has been canceled. My husband and I really want to zip line, but we would also like to do something else. I have done some investigation and found an excursion with Greenway Tours that does zip lining and a canal trip. This is perfect. The tour company says I can do it in the alloted time.

I gave them the times on the itinerary. Is the departure time of 4pm the time they leave port or the time at which you need to be back at the ship. Meaning, do you need to be back at 3pm or something in order to board.

If something happened (I like to look at the worst case scenario) and we missed the ship. What happens? Do we find a flight back to FLL and pick up our clothes and belongings when the ship redocks? I assume that it is possible to get your belongings again.

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've only ever been on one other cruise and it was a 3 day cruise, so not terribly heavy on the port calls.

Does anyone know? Thank you.

I gave them the times on the itinerary. Is the departure time of 4pm the time they leave port or the time at which you need to be back at the ship. Meaning, do you need to be back at 3pm or something in order to board.

If something happened (I like to look at the worst case scenario) and we missed the ship. What happens? Do we find a flight back to FLL and pick up our clothes and belongings when the ship redocks? I assume that it is possible to get your belongings again?

This is not a stupid question! You will find the information regarding when to be back on the ship in the daily newsletter. Pay attention to this time as well as if the ship is moving to the local port time--sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Set your watch appropriately. We always plan to be back 1 hour before we have to so we don't miss the ship. We have always done private excursions and have never had a problem.

If you miss the ship you will be responsible for getting back to FLL yourself. Make sure you have a copy of your passport and a credit card if you would need it. We never have had a problem. Also in the port letter will be the name of the port agent that you would contact in a worst case scenario. This person would help you to contact the ship ect... If you read the port of call threads there are many helpful people who will give you information on private tour operators. I am also planning on a stop in Costa Rica and have not found that much information here, but have been reading trip advisor for suggestions and for some reason find more information there. Have a great trip and don't worry too much about missing the ship--happens, but rarely!

Karen

Make sure you have a copy of your passport and a credit card if you would need it.
No, make sure you have your passport, not a copy. A copy is worthless for re-entering the country. It would help getting a replacement passport at the nearest US embassy, but that's about it.

While I agree the ship's daily program will have the "all aboard" time, you want to plan now.....so I'd consider 4 p.m. to be departure time, with "all aboard" at least 30 minutes earlier. Tell the excursion company you have to be back by 3 p.m. at the latest, then keep track while on your excursion.

...and like John says, have passport, credit card, and driver's license with you.

I agree with all the advice above--if you do not take your passport the ship will give it to the port agent if you miss the sailing.

We do not take ship tours--sometimes take private tours, usually do something on our own by public transportation or rental car (we have cruised Europe more often recently).

For what you want to do go to the port board for Costa Rica and contact some of the guides mentioned there. These people know about cruise critic and their business depends on making sure that you are happy and get back to the ship. Every private tour that we have done both in the Caribbean and Europe (and Egypt) has made it a point to return us well before sail away.

Always have the port agent contact with you--this is found in the daily information paper--that way if something should happen your guide can get in touch with the port and the ship.

As I said--companies know how to time ship tours, we have also found that they know exactly when the ship is arriving, and will be waiting for you as soon as you can leave tyhe ship. Have you asked on your roll-call if anyone wants to tour share with you?

Have a great time.

Archived