Alarm clocks? Wake up calls?

Lewis/Klitschko

I bring a battery operated alarm clock. :)

Right, has to be battery operated. Electric clocks will not work due to something different regarding the ship's electrical system. The displayed time will always be off with an electric clock.

We use the wake-up service.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Right, has to be battery operated. Electric clocks will not work due to something different regarding the ship's electrical system. The displayed time will always be off with an electric clock.

I keep hearing that but I never had any problems with it. Was this for older ships? My clock on the America was always fine for 2 years!

We use the wake-up service.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Will a digital clock that can also run on a battery be okay?

I would say the most useful thing I packed on our recent cruise was a battery operated digital travel alarm clock. It had a back-lit display when you press the bar on top which was really useful for telling the time if you wake at night, as the cabins are very dark.

We have an awesome, very slim (about the size of an MP3 player), digital, battery powered alarm clock that also tells you the temperature, has a feature where you can keep your "home" time displayed in the corner and has a backlight button. We got it at Walmart for about $10 or $15. I also like it because it's small enough to carry along when sunning so that if I fall asleep in the sun I won't wind up lobsterized. I'm sure that the wake-up call is also a good option, but not having a clock in my room would drive me nuts as I don't wear a watch.

ee

There are room service tags to put outside your door each morning. I always order coffee and danish and ask to have it brought at a certain time. Room service calls you before bringing the meal. I use that as my wake up call. Wake up call and coffee all at once! :)

Patti

There are room service tags to put outside your door each morning. I always order coffee and danish and ask to have it brought at a certain time. Room service calls you before bringing the meal. I use that as my wake up call. Wake up call and coffee all at once! :)

Patti

Took the words right out of my ...keyboard. That's exactly what we do.

Yearofme I see you're from Quakertown. I have a store there.

YEP!

I agree with the others --> Room Service delivering tea and pastries is the best "wake-up" call you can get each morning! If anything, they will be earlier than you were expecting, so you will not be late!

Also, Walmart has small battery operated digital clocks for around $5 that work just fine. Just wait til you are on the ship to pop in a fresh battery so it will be good all week! The one I got last year looked like this one and still works great on every trip:

la159.jpg

HAVE FUN!

:)

I would bring a clock. Don't count on the alarm on your cell phone. Our last cruise my phone kept changing times depending on where we were and where it thought we were.

Cell phone tip I learned here before our last cruise: set it to "airplane" mode unless you must be available for someone to call you - that way you don't risk paying high cell usage fees for miscellaneous text or voice mail message that can wait until you get back - plus, if the phone isn't checking in with the network the time won't change unless you make it.

That said - we always use wake up calls AND the cell phone alarms (yes, plural) - we are night people but I can't bear the thought of missing breakfast and excursions!

THEYEAROFME gave you the best answer..everynight i would put out the room service ticket on my door for morning room service and write on the ticket to deliver it at 6:30 AM everyday and every morning at 6:15 AM they would call to say they were on their way to my room with the morning coffee and danishes..they want you to be up and dressed to open the door....it was a great wake up call...and the fresh coffee was wonderful..going again on the GEM on 1/14/09...can hardly wait..

The problem I had with the wake up call in an inside cabin on the Dawn was that the phone was not near the bed. One had to get out of bed to "answer" it. So, if you are going to use the wake up call method, consider bringing a nite light or leave your closet door open a bit (it has an automatic light). I kept a small LED 'puck light" by the bed, so that I could turn it on when needed. The lights over the head of the bed seemed very dim when trying to read by them, but very bright when turned on in total darkness.

Archived