Immigration info for Brits travelling to USA

wishful thinking

Just found this out today. If you're travelling using the visa waiver programme, there are changes from January 2009. Google "United States Immigration, September 2008 immigration update" - this will go onto a page called MINTZ LEVIN. In 3rd paragraph click 'register online' and complete information. Sorry to anyone who thinks this is in the wrong place but thought main Princess boards would be appropriate for UK Princess cruisers:D

My sister did her ESTA application about a month ago and had no problem, she first checked that her passports qualified under the visa waiver program and they did she said it was very easy. Printed out every thing they said to print out. Once approved they each got an approval number and they are good for 2 years. She is joining us on our cruise in March when we renew our vows.

Christine

What happens to the people who don`t know anything about this?

What would happen when you get to the US?

Normally you would be given a form to fill in on the plane.:confused:

My understand is you wouldn't be able to board the plane in England.

Christine

Just went through the process easily. Unfortunately I will have to go through it again later as it expires in one year, in the middle of our cruise.

We are on Sea Princess, Montego Bay round trip, Southern Caribbean, in January. We won`t need it for that one, will we? We don`t go to mainland US.

Just went through the process easily. Unfortunately I will have to go through it again later as it expires in one year, in the middle of our cruise.

We are on Sea Princess, Montego Bay round trip, Southern Caribbean, in January. We won`t need it for that one, will we? We don`t go to mainland US.

You will perhaps go to St Thomas or San Juan - both are American and you will need to have the ESTA clearance to get in - that's how I understand it.

You will still have to fill in the Visa Waiver form on the plane or boat before you try to enter the US.

I don't think the ESTAs come into force until 12 January 2009 when we will be mid-cruise so we will need them to get back into Fort Lauderdale to fly back to the UK.

When is the UK government going to introduce a similar system into the UK?.US visitors complete a minimal information "form", while we have to literally "bare your body" to get into the US. I even had my fingerprints taken , earlier this year,on a internal flight from London to Manchester, but no there were no restraints on other nationals.

I have travelled extensively in the US over several years and Iam loathed to go back because of this paranoid security system they have introduced. Unfortunatley Iam going back in January to cruise out of LA to Hawaii , then next April I will be in NY from a HAL cruise.

before anyone says you do not have to go the the US if you do not like the system, remember ALL ARE WELCOME IN THE UK.

When is the UK government going to introduce a similar system into the UK?.US visitors complete a minimal information "form", while we have to literally "bare your body" to get into the US. I even had my fingerprints taken , earlier this year,on a internal flight from London to Manchester, but no there were no restraints on other nationals.

I have travelled extensively in the US over several years and Iam loathed to go back because of this paranoid security system they have introduced. Unfortunatley Iam going back in January to cruise out of LA to Hawaii , then next April I will be in NY from a HAL cruise.

before anyone says you do not have to go the the US if you do not like the system, remember ALL ARE WELCOME IN THE UK.

I am more than happy with the "paranoid security system". Just wish ours was as thorough! Can't see why you'd feel "unfortunate" to be cruising out of US. You really don't have to. ;)

You will perhaps go to St Thomas or San Juan - both are American and you will need to have the ESTA clearance to get in - that's how I understand it.

I think you are right. I have booked directly with Princess and they sent the info last week..... no real explanation why. We sail on the 9th Jan but as stated we visit St Thomas on the itinerary and am guessing we need this documetation to disembark there. I will be emailing Princess tomorrow to check this out . I've already done mine... simple process which, I think lasts for two years. It's free at present but there will be a charge applied soon so advice is do it now !!

I am more than happy with the "paranoid security system". Just wish ours was as thorough! Can't see why you'd feel "unfortunate" to be cruising out of US. You really don't have to. ;)

I also only cruise out of the US as a very, very last resort and if they treat my two little grandchildren (5 & 3) in any way like criminals in January before our next cruise, that will be the last time I set foot there - enough will definitely be enough:mad: I have yet to have a smile from a US immigration officer. I would much prefer to pick up a ship in Barbados. We walked straight off the plane and onto the coach when we landed in Barbados in April - didn't even touch the terminal building:D

I thought they lasted for two years

Try this site it's from the US Embassy in London, my sister did the visa wizard first to see if her passports qualified under the visa waiver program when she found out they did she then did the ESTA Application.

She said that doing the visa wizard was easier then trying to read all the information on different websites.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/visa_wizard.html

Hope this helps answer some questions you have.

Christine

I just read on another USA immigration site that only passengers with machine readable passports need to complete the forms.

Anyone know what the rules are?

I think that if you do not have a machine-readable passport then you have to have a visitor visa from the Embassy. After a certain date, I think it was round about 2005/2006 you had to have a biometric passport or else a proper visa - I know my little grand-daughter has one of these.

My brother-in-law passport was issued back in 2002 and he has he ESTA approval and it expires in two years.

So I'm not sure how it works I did notice on the embassy site it says to do the visa wizard before you do the ESTA Application.

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about this, it nice to have two passports one American and one British.

Christine

it pity that US government does to stop and think.No matter what they do to control entrance terrorists will still get in as they lie,SO making it hard for us people wont make any difference to the war on terror.

this new wavier on line is so open to abuse it UN real .Glad DUB YA gone soon we might get good decisions now for the white house

The ESTA program does not take effect until January 12, 2009 I believe.

Christine

Yes, you are correct - Monday 12th January 2009. I completed our forms last weekend and applications were accepted immediately with a two year validation.

Colin

The US immigration experience pains me greatly. For about six years now there's been a wanted criminal with the same name as me (it's a common name) and the result is that I get secondary screened at immigration every year. Now sometimes I find a border guard with a brain (it happens!) who understands that this British guy on holiday is not the American guy of a different age that they're looking for. Other times (SFO, I'm looking at you) I get to sit in the little room while they do their background checks.

Every time the agent tells me "I'm not supposed to tell you this but there's a guy with the same name..."

Talk about security theatre.

Archived