The Dockyard

Skyhawk61

Going on the Dawn August '09. Just trying to become familiar with what goes on. I understand the Dawn docks at.....well, the Dockyard. It sounds so industrial and cold - but what is it really like? Anything to do around there, or is any Bermuda activity far away?

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions in the coming months, so thanks everyone.

Going on the Dawn August '09. Just trying to become familiar with what goes on. I understand the Dawn docks at.....well, the Dockyard. It sounds so industrial and cold - but what is it really like? Anything to do around there, or is any Bermuda activity far away?

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions in the coming months, so thanks everyone.

Do a google search by putting in "Dockyard Bermuda" there is lots of info.

I am going in October next year and I Googled BERMUDA and looked the Bermuda.com site with interactive map. It show you all the beaches, attaractions, etc... I found it to be helpful for the short time I was on it. Check it out. :)

Sandy

The dockyard is a old British naval base that has been converted into a cruise ship dock as it is the only place that large ships can go in Bermuda. There are lots of shops and a glass blowing factory. It can take up one day of your stay. There is a ferry that goes to Hamilton that leaves right from the same dock as the ship and lots of taxies and busses. Bermuda has some sort of bus pass you can buy. There is a VERY small beach there but if you want to experence a real Bermuda beach go some place different.

I'm planning to go back to Bermunda in July of 2009. The Dockyard is interesting - rum cakes, glass blowing demonstrations, segways, shopping, restaurants - but don't miss the rest of the island. One of my favorite excursions was a candlelight walking tour of St. George with the town crier (a world champion town crier). He was so interesting and it was a beautiful evening for a walk. Bermuda is such a beautiful island that you will want to explore. I would suggest not bothering with the small beach at the dockyard and going to one of Bermuda's other beautiful beaches. The last time I was there, we got bus passes and made our way around the island. The bus drivers were more than happy to let us know when it was our stop. I love Bermuda and can't wait to go back!

It's pretty much your standard purpose-designed cruiseship destination full of all the typical touristy shops and attractions. There's quite a bit to see and you'll pretty much be able to knock out all of your gift shopping in one fell swoop!

The Frog & Onion is definitely worth checking out for the beer alone. The Dockyard beer that they serve is Bermuda's only locally brewed beer. The bartender told us that brewery barely has enough capacity to support the Frog & Onion's demand. You cannot get the Dockyard beer anywhere else on the island, nor is it available bottled (I think you can get the brewpub standard-issue 1/2 gallon growler but that's pretty useless if you can't drink it within a day or two).

Skyhawk61: we've done Bermuda twice (once on Celebrity and once NCL). I highly recommend it. The Dockyard is one of our favorite stops (regardless of where the ship is docked, Hamilton, St. George or the Dockyards). We ended up visiting it a couple of times. The compound houses a wonderful museum, you can tour the old fort and fortifications (personally groomed by some nice sheep, watch your step), want to swim with the dolphins? can do it there as well; glass blowing and other crafts (higher quality than you'd expect) and some nice boutique shops. You can't tour the prison that adjoins the dockyard, but you can sneak a peak through the boarded up entry. Bermuda is easy to get around via public transportation. I recommend buying a pass (includes bus and ferry) and explore. It's a go-it-alone paradise. Hamilton is fun to walk around, visit the church (walk up to the observation deck at the top (lot of stairs, great view), shop is expensive and very English of course. St. George is more quaint, hike over the top to the beaches, and loop back across the golf course and past the fort. Some of our fondest memories are the bus trips and just talking with and listening to the kids catching the busses home after school.

tom

Is Bermuda, Dockyards, ferry, Hamilton...accessible on a scooter or manual wheelchair?

I saw a few people in wheelchairs, but I think they were mostly motorized. I definitely saw one person assisting another in a manual wheelchair & it seemed to be OK. They were able to board the ferries for sure. There are sidewalks outside the pier at King's Wharf and in Hamilton.

Not like that at all! Here's a couple of pictures taken from our balcony. We enjoyed the view we woke up to every morning!

Enjoy your cruise! :)

dawndocked.jpg.e78eecfae66cfd99a61f95a1786cfa2f.jpg

2010859988_BERMUDAFERRY.jpg.894f81a51442b3c04a2d0751f975f733.jpg

Not like that at all! Here's a couple of pictures taken from our balcony. We enjoyed the view we woke up to every morning!

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Heavy sigh....loved Bermuda. And the Dawn. Your pictures reminded me how much!:) Sure wish I had another one booked.

For years, the Dockyard (or Kings Warf) was the step-child of the cruise ports in Bermuda. This was due to the fact that St. George and Hamilton could handle the cruise traffic. However, over the yeats as the older, smaller cruise ships are being retired and most new ones are too big to go into St. George and Hamilton, the Dockyard has become "THE" cruise ship port in Bermuda. This is because it is the only place the new, larger ships can dock. Thus, the area around the Dockyards has built up with all sorts of things to do. A shopping mall built into part of the old clocktower fort, a museum in another part of the old fort, Dolphin Quest is there (by far the BEST dolphin swimming encounter available, IMHO), pubs, glass blowing factory, rum cake factory, scooter rental place, pottery, Snorkel Park and more. Also, both the bus and ferry stops right there by the ship. So, any destination in Bermuda is easy to get there from the Dockyard. It is a much nicer and better place to visit than just 6 or 7 years ago.

Skyhawk61 when are you going? We are on the Dawn 8/9/08. Looking for others to meet up with. I am also listed on NCL's roll call.

Was at King's wharf 10 years ago. No bad then, even better now. Bermuda is such a beautiful island, but only 21 square miles. The bus/ferry pass is great.

Heavy sigh....loved Bermuda. And the Dawn. Your pictures reminded me how much!:) Sure wish I had another one booked.

We just returned from our favorite island Bermuda on our favorite ship, the beautiful Dawn. Already booked for October 2009. We never tire of the Dawn and Bermuda.

Archived