Does Anybody Know The Cruiseline Policy For Diving Knives??

RMILLER4292

They x-ray all baggage coming on board the ship. If they see your knife they will have someone find you and bring you down to security to open the bag and give them the knife for safe keeping. They will give it to you when you get off to go diving at various ports, but you will have to give it back each time you get back on the ship. It can be a pain in the a**. Leave it at home unless you are really in need of it, or get some snips instead.

Rich

This summer I was on The Empress and diving in Bermuda. My dive knife is a small Oceanic attached to my BCD with no tip. They X-rayed my bag. I watched them look at the screen and they said nothing.

If you have a small knife and can easly explain it is a diving tool, at worst you may just have to check it in. But, I would just go about my business and not think about it until they stop me.

I've dove from RCI ships on several trips, and I'm one of those paraniod ones that dives with a 6" blunt-tipped titanium knife strapped to his calf and a 4" one on my BC. I guess I've been wrapped up in fishing line and other assorted garbage too many times, who knows? Anyway, I just tell them up front that I have a couple of knives that I need to check, and the security folks bring out a box with a TON of knives in it, you fill out a claim check, and pick it up when you disembark the ship the morning of your dive. After you're done, you give it back.

*note* Make sure that your SO does not pack the knife in a dive boot to "save space." It makes the security people think you're trying to smuggle a knife abord, and you panic when you can't find your dive knife.

SSI Master Diver, class of 02

I just got back from the Dawn Princess and didn't realize I had left my dive knife in one of the pockets of my dive bag. I meant to remove it before flying because I didn't think I would need it anyway. I was surprised to find it when I was going through the pockets. It made it through TSA and Princess security with no problems at all! I am not so sure that is a good thing or not!!:confused:

Chrissie

Dove in St. Thomas & St. Maarten - awesome!

Rmiller4292,

we take our dive equipment with us when we cruise- I have paramedic shears attached to my bc and have never even been questioned when my bags are xrayed coming back onto the ship. you might consider these as an alternative,(they even cut a penny in two if you are ever attacked by an angry penny! lol) I purchased mine on ebay, cheap!!!

We sailed on Rhapsody in Sept 2003 out of Galveston...

My husband and I had ours packed in our rollerbag....and it made it to our room ok. Then, we had it in our carry bags during our dive trips...when we would have to put the wet bags through x-ray upon re-boarding, they just muttered "dive knife?" we said "yeah"...and they gave us the bag and kept going.

• 2 weeks later...
Rmiller4292,

we take our dive equipment with us when we cruise- I have paramedic shears attached to my bc and have never even been questioned when my bags are xrayed coming back onto the ship. you might consider these as an alternative,(they even cut a penny in two if you are ever attacked by an angry penny! lol) I purchased mine on ebay, cheap!!!

I've seen those wild pennies too, but it's the quarters you have to worry about :)

I only take shears as well. Much easier that way and they can cut through a lot (luckily, never had to use them). Think they were about $5-$10.

We have the shears as well, and spent way too many evenings sitting around the shop trying to cut pennies in pieces.

About three years ago in Cozumel, I realized about 60 feet that I had forgotten to remove the knife tucked in my BC shoulder strap.

However, it is one of those little bitty Wenokas from years ago, and is so small that the screeners probably didn't even realize it was a knife. (about 4" in total length, mostly handle).

Have a great dive!

Wendy

Last year on Carnival it made it through security. However, when returning from my first set of dives security at the gangway found it and confiscated it. I picked it up there for my second dive day and they then held onto it for the remainder of the cruise.

Two weeks ago on Holland America they confiscated it upon checking in. I had a note in my scuba bag to this effect. I found it at the front office. Much confusion there, with many different answers. They gave it to me the day of my dive, right at the front desk rather than at the gangway. Upon returning they weren't sure what to do and called over the head of security. He measured the blade, and since it was under 4" they let me go through with it

BTW, it's blunt at the end with no tip.

Archived