Holiday vs Fantasy

nwo4life

DW & I took our first cruise earlier this month on the Fantasy. We are hook on cruising, it was the best vacation ever! We are considering cruising on the Holiday next spring since Mobile is closer to us. Will we be disappointed in the smaller ship?

Hard to say. We've sailed both several times and always had a great time. However, I haven't been on the Fantasy since her recent upgrades. Having said that, the pros relative to the Holiday is the price, the service and a more intimate feel because of her size. The Holiday offers some great entertainment in the Americana Lounge and the passengers and crew are the friendliest I've experienced. She does not offer the wow factor that the Fantasy does however. I'd say check her out and see for yourself; she will be gone from the Carnival fleet in 12 months, so you don't have a lot of time.

DW & I took our first cruise earlier this month on the Fantasy. We are hook on cruising, it was the best vacation ever! We are considering cruising on the Holiday next spring since Mobile is closer to us. Will we be disappointed in the smaller ship?

In 06 our group sailed Holiday, Fantasy in 07 and Holiday again in 08. I noticed the smaller size of the Holiday this year. Some things on Fantasy I missed, some I didn't. But, I wasn't "disappointed". The Holiday is a nice ship and we had a great time both times.

Hard to say. We've sailed both several times and always had a great time. However, I haven't been on the Fantasy since her recent upgrades. Having said that, the pros relative to the Holiday is the price, the service and a more intimate feel because of her size. The Holiday offers some great entertainment in the Americana Lounge and the passengers and crew are the friendliest I've experienced. She does not offer the wow factor that the Fantasy does however. I'd say check her out and see for yourself; she will be gone from the Carnival fleet in 12 months, so you don't have a lot of time.

I may be missing something, because my TA's prices only differ by $20pp between Fantasy and Holiday. Are you getting a better deal?

I have booked inside guarantee once on each, and because the Holiday was full I got what I bargained for, whereas on Fantasy I got upgraded to a double-porthole ocean view. All things considered, I got more cabin for my money on Fantasy, OV instead of inside for only $20pp more.

The most noticeable advantages of the Fantasy, for me, were the extra outdoor buffet line by the pool, and the dead-end traffic pattern in the indoor buffet made for a cooler and less traffic-intensive eating area. The atrium is not my thing. I'm old and my neck is too stiff for the craning necessary to appreciate it.;-)

I may be missing something, because my TA's prices only differ by $20pp between Fantasy and Holiday. Are you getting a better deal?

I have booked inside guarantee once on each, and because the Holiday was full I got what I bargained for, whereas on Fantasy I got upgraded to a double-porthole ocean view. All things considered, I got more cabin for my money on Fantasy, OV instead of inside for only $20pp more.

The most noticeable advantages of the Fantasy, for me, were the extra outdoor buffet line by the pool, and the dead-end traffic pattern in the indoor buffet made for a cooler and less traffic-intensive eating area. The atrium is not my thing. I'm old and my neck is too stiff for the craning necessary to appreciate it.;-)

I agree on both counts! Maybe it differs on when you cruise but when we booked in March for October the prices for Holiday and Fantasy were about the same. I just booked a cruise on Fantasy for this January and again...prices were darn near the same.

And, I missed the outdoor food station by the pool, too. That was the main thing I missed. I like being able to grab coffee or tea without going inside the dining room.

Perhaps it depends on when you wish to sail. I did some research on random dates in March/April 2009 and these are rates for a 4a on both ships:

Holiday 5 day 3/9 $309

5 day 3/14 $449

5 day 3/23 $409

5 day 3/28 $329

Fantasy 5 day 3/7 $279

5 day 3/16 $679

5 day 3/21 $449

5 day 3/30 $379

These prices from an online TA that advertises on this board.

We were on the Holiday in May of this year and on the Fantasy in October. Both were great!!! We prefer the Fantasy, but would sure go on the Holiday again.

I think that you will notice a big difference in the 2 ships. We did miss the Grand Atrium and the Lido deck seemed really small. Those were about all that we thought we were missing on the smaller ship. Both were great cruises.

Perhaps it depends on when you wish to sail. I did some research on random dates in March/April 2009 and these are rates for a 4a on both ships:

Holiday 5 day 3/9 $309

5 day 3/14 $449

5 day 3/23 $409

5 day 3/28 $329

Fantasy 5 day 3/7 $279

5 day 3/16 $679

5 day 3/21 $449

5 day 3/30 $379

These prices from an online TA that advertises on this board.

I agree. We book our October cruise in March and the prices have been about the same. I just booked a January cruise and the prices are similar..give or take $25 or so..

The Holiday is a cozy ship with friendly staff and very enjoyable. She is small but just as much fun.

MISSISSIPPI residents, there are some great MS RES rates on the Holiday right now. Jan 8th is showing $149pp in a 1A and $199 in a 5A. (plus fuel and tax)

Dave

Whoa, those are great prices! I'm booked on the Fantasy, 1-15, 4 night sailing. Don't know the "categories" but we got an OV Riviera for $244 so I'm happy! Now, I just have to decide between Pasion Isle and Nachi Cocom!

We were on the Holiday in May of this year and on the Fantasy in October. Both were great!!! We prefer the Fantasy, but would sure go on the Holiday again.

I think that you will notice a big difference in the 2 ships. We did miss the Grand Atrium and the Lido deck seemed really small. Those were about all that we thought we were missing on the smaller ship. Both were great cruises.

How did your debarkations go? Ours were as different as heaven [Holiday] and hell [Fantasy]. The people in NOLA were nice, but the line was like Disney World, and we stood in it for an hour before we even got to the baggage area. Debarking from Holiday took about 30 minutes from cabin to car.

How did your debarkations go? Ours were as different as heaven [Holiday] and hell [Fantasy]. The people in NOLA were nice, but the line was like Disney World, and we stood in it for an hour before we even got to the baggage area. Debarking from Holiday took about 30 minutes from cabin to car.

Last year on Fantasy we didn't self assist and I forgot about the grabbing a porter thing. We were on Empress deck and it took us about 2.5 hours to get off the boat from the time they started calling to disembark.

This year, Holiday, it took us an hour total, self assist, which I don't think was bad at all. I still didn't do the porter thing, though!

We did self assist on the Holiday, our cabin was on Main and it took us about 10 minutes to get customs. Customs took awhile because the family of 5 in front of us, had all their IDs and custom forms packed and had to find the paperwork. Our daughter and sil were on empress and it took them almost 3 hours to get off.

On the Fantasy we had our gdaughters with us and didnt want to try to keep them in a crowded line, so we did the regular debark. It took us about 30 minutes in lines after they called our zone. I think we were zone 13 and off the ship by about 9:30.

Archived