Best Way to do Balata Gardens on your Own

OTRlady

Hello, My husband and I would like to visit Balata Gardens when we are in Martinique (Thursday, January 29, 2009). Our cruise line has not posted any shore excursions yet, but the ones we have read about have multiple stops in addition to the gardens, so there are only about 30 minutes allotted. We'd like to spend our whole time at the one attraction, so it looks like we'll have to get there on our own. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to go? I think we are in port from 8-3. Is there enough time?

• 4 weeks later...

Rent a car. (Budget has an office right there on the main drag as you get off the cruise pier - find the McDonalds and budget is right next to it).

The N3 (Route de la Trace) is your road - head north - you can stop by the Sacre Couer church on the way to the gardens. And the gardens are only a few miles north from there on your left.

When you're finished, just take a loop drive - go up to Morne Rouge, hang a left and go to St Piere, and then back into Fort De France. Just get your fuel on the west side of town (around Schoelcher) and go direct into downtown and dump the car.

The guy at the Budget office speaks a little english...

Archived