Bad Show Royal Caribbean International

TOMANDUNA

How could anyone let their child, who obviously could'nt swim go to the pool unaccompanied??????

It's sad that parents don't watch their children.

People are sure quick to accuse the parents of negligence without knowing all the details!

Unfortunately accidents DO happen, even to children who are adequately supervised. It's not reasonable to expect a parent to never look away from their child, especially if they have more than one to keep an eye on. These things can happen so quickly that even the most dilligent parent may be distracted for the minute it takes thier child to get into trouble.

That's not to say it's the fault or Royal Caribbean either - sometimes an accident is just an accident!

People are sure quick to accuse the parents of negligence without knowing all the details!

Unfortunately accidents DO happen, even to children who are adequately supervised. It's not reasonable to expect a parent to never look away from their child, especially if they have more than one to keep an eye on. These things can happen so quickly that even the most dilligent parent may be distracted for the minute it takes thier child to get into trouble.

That's not to say it's the fault or Royal Caribbean either - sometimes an accident is just an accident!

Yes accidents do happen but I do not understand how any parent could let their young child be near or in water without being right there with them to help them should there be an accident or if they should need help. I do believe it is very reasonable to expect a parent to be watching their children in a pool and I also believe it is their sole responsibility to do so and it is not the responsibility of the ship's crew or other passengers. Ships do not provide life guards, it is swim at your own risk and parents are responsible for the safety of their children when on a ship at all times. You are right, it does only take a minute for a young child to get into trouble in a pool so why would any parent take the chance of not being right there with that young child? The article was posted on another thread so many of us did read the details.

There are good and bad parents on the cruise ship...most I have met do pay attention to the kids... It is sad when parents let their kids play in the pool and don't watch them closely, regardless of how well they swim. In mixed company the pool can be a dangerout place...and younger kids alone are really at a bit of risk unless they are extremely strong swimmers.

Too many parents do let their kids run wild on ships, which detracts form others' vacation plans...and creates situation that may be dangerous for the kids...

From the article sounds as if the parents were nearby...so probably were not bad parents who let the kids run wild...just didn't watchi the little swimmer cloesely enough.

Glad it ended well!!!

Hope Ray shakes his bad emotions over it all now.

It is shocking that parents dont watch their children. On our last cruise how many kids were in the pool without supervision. Even the kids pool, which is only a couple of feet deep can be dangerous, especially when the ship is moving. One way to prevent an accident is to be vigillant. I am a mom of 5 year old twins and I wouldn't dream of leaving my children unattended in the pool.

I think we all agree that it was the little girl's fault for trying to drown herself. Obviously, RCL did exactly what any wonderful, caring, passenger-oriented cruise line would do. I am sure that when Wall Street finds out they collected this $717, the stock will take off based on the contribution to the bottom line.

Some posts, despite the twisted view point, are predictable. Case in point.

jc

I thought it was a gov't requirement from what posters said - but Elizanessie said it isn't.

Oh so it's an RCI requirement, that makes more sense, the way I read the original post was that you could not leave the UK without travel insurance.

We went on a Sovereign cruise last month with friends from the UK, they booked in the UK, but printed thier set sail passes when they got here, they were not asked for Insurance details:confused:

I don't understand why there are so many passengers that believe if an accident or sudden illness happens on a ship that they shouldn't have to pay. While I have read about some medical charges that seemed excessive to me, I don't know why these passengers should be entitled to free care. If for some reason some serious negligence caused an injury then that is for the courts to decide after they hear all the evidence from both sides. Anything posted on these boards is going to be one-sided. Doctors and hospitals everywhere I go expect to be paid for services redendered, why should cruise ships be any different. Travel insurance is a necessary travel expense and if one can't afford it, perhaps they should consider other options for their vacations. If the cruiselines are expected to foot the medical bills for the thousands of passengers they transport weekly, then we can all expect to pay more to cover the extra expense.

Archived