Off Destiny in Miami - Driving to Dream in Port Canaveral

GuitarPlayer

Can I make it in time renting a car, driving there, and dropping off the car on a Saturday in January (1/16/2010)? Am I crazy?

Just trying to get the most out of airline $$$ from Kansas City, so we are trying a B2B as follows:

Destiny 5 day out of Miami 1/11 - 1/16/2010, then driving to Port Canaveral to catch the Dream (7 day) on that same Saturday (1/16/2010).

I figure its about 3.5 hours drive with a (conservative) hour on each end for car rental/return. If we get off the ship by, say, 9am, plus 5.5 hours = 2:30, so it *should* get us there in plenty of time.

Thoughts? Comments?

GP

Can I make it in time renting a car, driving there, and dropping off the car on a Saturday in January (1/16/2010)? Am I crazy?

Just trying to get the most out of airline $$$ from Kansas City, so we are trying a B2B as follows:

Destiny 5 day out of Miami 1/11 - 1/16/2010, then driving to Port Canaveral to catch the Dream (7 day) on that same Saturday (1/16/2010).

I figure its about 3.5 hours drive with a (conservative) hour on each end for car rental/return. If we get off the ship by, say, 9am, plus 5.5 hours = 2:30, so it *should* get us there in plenty of time.

Thoughts? Comments?

GP

You should be able to pull that off - unless unforeseen delays pop up.... late arrival back in Miami.... problems with debarkation or customs, thus not getting off the ship until after 10 a.m..... or a WRECK on the interstate - that alone could cost you an hour or two. That does not happen very often, but when it does ...!

Are you flying into Miami, then out of Orlando??

Any ships which you might want to sail on out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale that day? I realize that none of them would likely be as desirable as the NEW Dream.

Perhaps there is a shuttle you could take from Miami - that could potentially save some time checking out (and back in) a rental car.

If you opt for the Dream, just make sure you have trip insurance!!!

Tom

You should be able to pull that off - unless unforeseen delays pop up.... late arrival back in Miami.... problems with debarkation or customs, thus not getting off the ship until after 10 a.m..... or a WRECK on the interstate - that alone could cost you an hour or two. That does not happen very often, but when it does ...!

Are you flying into Miami, then out of Orlando??

Any ships which you might want to sail on out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale that day? I realize that none of them would likely be as desirable as the NEW Dream.

Perhaps there is a shuttle you could take from Miami - that could potentially save some time checking out (and back in) a rental car.

If you opt for the Dream, just make sure you have trip insurance!!!

Tom

Checked on other itineraries out of FL or Miami, but only Western's match up to the 5 day Destiny. Had my Carnival PVP check it out and he couldn't find anything to match up, either. It's not so much the Dream as it is the Eastern that we want (HAVE to get back to St. Maarten!)

So...would *you* attempt it? We'll definitely get the trip insurance. I wonder if that would be one single policy or will it have to be two separate policies, one for each cruise?

GP

Thoughts? Comments?

GP

GP,

Sounds like a great B2B to me!

Just bring along a GPS in case you run into local traffic tie ups so you can navigate around them and you'll be fine. One of those paper thingys, I think they're called 'maps?' would work almost as well too. :D

BTW, we're doing the same two ships B2B; Destiny for our 20th anniversary next October then Dream.......but Dream is six months later for Spring Break. :p

So...would *you* attempt it? We'll definitely get the trip insurance. I wonder if that would be one single policy or will it have to be two separate policies, one for each cruise?

GP

I could likely pull it off, but we have the benefit of priority debarkation (Platinum). You might want to go to the purser (on the Destiny) and ask if you would be able to leave early (along with the early flight people) given that you have another "date with Carnival" - they just might be understanding in that situation! Self-assist debarkation might help to get you off early as well.

Not sure about the insurance situation - as far a covering you on the second leg, I would guess just those dates would be required. Hmmmmm...

Tom

I went into Mapquest and calculated Port-to-Port driving directions. This does not take into account rental car pick-up/drop-off locations...

"Estimated Time: 3 hours 12 minutes Estimated Distance: 196.05 miles"

Most of the way you can easily go 75+ mph if you are so inclined, but in that Miami-Ft. Lauderdale section, you may find that some places bog down...

Tom

SORRY... that is from Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) to Pt. Canaveral.... time to head back to Mapquest!!!

I don't know how it is on that stretch of road from Miami to Port Canaveral, but when I drove there and was coming South on I95 near Jacksonville, I had set the cruise at 85 and was getting passed.

It could be done and something to be attempted if traffic moves like what I experienced.

What are you going to do with the rental car? 15 dollars a day is what it costs to park at Port Canaveral.

Rather than kill yourself, either mentally (worry) or physically (speeding) on the drive from Miami to Port Canaveral, why not try it the other way around? Go on the Dream from the 16th to the 23rd, then drive down to Miami and go on the Destiny from the 25th to the 30th. It is the same cruise (the Destiny's itinerary on the 11th and 25th are the same) and now you have two days to make the drive down. This gives you a lot more options and a lot less worry about making the ship.

We have been considering something similar. Probably are going to do the Sensation followed by the Dream out of Canaveral, but are still looking at other options. I think if we do have a drive involved though we will try to have a day or two between.

Rather than kill yourself, either mentally (worry) or physically (speeding) on the drive from Miami to Port Canaveral, why not try it the other way around? Go on the Dream from the 16th to the 23rd, then drive down to Miami and go on the Destiny from the 25th to the 30th. It is the same cruise (the Destiny's itinerary on the 11th and 25th are the same) and now you have two days to make the drive down. This gives you a lot more options and a lot less worry about making the ship.

I can't afford the extra time off work! If I could, I would just get on two 7 day'ers out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale!

GP

Thoughts? Comments?

GP

Should have no problem making it. I just drove from Miami and my sister lives in Melbourne (also has a condo in Cocoa) Made it in around 3:15 minutes even stopping for gas, and 2 potty breaks (my friend has a small bladder, lol). They started debarking people at 07:30 on Monday off of the Destiny. Self assist and those with bags taken by the cruise ship the night before were being called at the same time.

I don't know how it is on that stretch of road from Miami to Port Canaveral, but when I drove there and was coming South on I95 near Jacksonville, I had set the cruise at 85 and was getting passed.

It could be done and something to be attempted if traffic moves like what I experienced.

What are you going to do with the rental car? 15 dollars a day is what it costs to park at Port Canaveral.

Flying into Miami/FLL, 5 day cruise, renting the car for the day (Saturday) in Miami, driving North and dropping off in Cape Canaveral. I.E. Pick up in one city, drop off in another. Is not problem as long as you stay in Florida (have done that going from FLL airport to port of Miami more than once!)

GP

You might want to go to the purser (on the Destiny) and ask if you would be able to leave early (along with the early flight people) given that you have another "date with Carnival" - they just might be understanding in that situation! Self-assist debarkation might help to get you off early as well.

VERY good idea! We have done self-assist before, wasn't too bad getting off. Especially if we are getting off to go get on another one...that should make the bags even lighter! LOL

Not sure about the insurance situation - as far a covering you on the second leg, I would guess just those dates would be required. Hmmmmm...

Tom

I'm thinking one policy for the duration of two cruises should be considered "One vacation"...I just don't know if it's 2x the cost or what? May not make any difference either way. Too early to get too worried about that.

Thanks Guys (EVERYONE!) for all your helpful thoughts and comments.

GP

Do you know what Miami traffic is like?? Not something I would attempt,,,just too many variables,,,,How about 2 cruises outof Port Canavral if they don't line up in Miami?,,,Holly

Miami traffic on a Saturday morning around 8 or 9 am? We've made it from Port of Miami to FLL to catch a 1pm flight, and were there early enough (around 10am) and got on the 11:25 flight instead (YES!).

I'm not *too* worried much about the traffic, but a good point to consider nonetheless. And I do appreciate everyone's comments.

GP

Hmmm...Maybe I should just try to get another couple o' days off and do two 7 day'ers B2B out of Miami/FLL??? Hmmm... :cool:

Miami traffic on a Saturday morning around 8 or 9 am? We've made it from Port of Miami to FLL to catch a 1pm flight, and were there early enough (around 10am) and got on the 11:25 flight instead (YES!).

I'm not *too* worried much about the traffic, but a good point to consider nonetheless. And I do appreciate everyone's comments.

GP

Hmmm...Maybe I should just try to get another couple o' days off and do two 7 day'ers B2B out of Miami/FLL??? Hmmm... :cool:

Both the Valor and the Freedom offer an Eastern/Western combo. I am doing a B2B this year on the Freedom. Last year, I did a 7-day Freedom followed by a 7-day Valor. Avoid the stress of re-packing and driving, and choose to stay on the ship. You will have the whole ship to yourself (practically) for at least a few hours.

Joanne

I know I-95 is going to be under construction near Melbourne since I see the mess every day as I happly take an overpass over I-95 to work. I think it would be easy to make the trip as long as you don't have any majos snafus. A delayed time into port for some reason, customs taking their time, rental car delays, and traffic. I couldn't do because I'd spend the last three days of the first cruise worrying if I was going to make my next one:)

My thoughts exactly.

Too many things can go wrong-Destiny getting in late, no car at rental counter, flat tire, traffic on I95, etc.

Archived