Military Discount

operaclg

Are all the future sailing included. I'm booked on the Freedom, 2/14/2008 and friends that we are going with are ex military. Originally they could only get the discount on their booking. We are over 90 days out so I could cancel and rebook if a new booking is necessary.

Not all sailings or categories are eligible. But it's definately worth it to call and inquire as to whether anything is available for you.

fredsfan - So...did the Military person book the 3 rooms and at least get the prevailing military rate at the time of booking for one cabin? This was thru Carnival PVP? I'm not sure that Carnival is necessarily obligated to advise you of an impending Military Sale, but I'm surprised that they wouldn't/didn't. ken

Hi Ken,

when the 3 cabins were booked only one was booked at the military rate and the other two were regular rates. After 3 phone calls yesterday and about 1 1/2 hours, all three cabins were given to the military rate. I believe the difference ended up being $120 per cabin (for a total of $240 OBC), not an large amount but enough to make a difference.

It is frustrating as the Carnival rep knew at the time of booking that the military rate would apply to all cabins in 2 days, not just 1 cabin. Frustrating because she was specifically asked and chose not to share. Had we not asked, it would have been different but it comes across as being a little shady. Yes, I know she wasn't REQUIRED to tell us, but she should have. Especially when this was someone where we called her, got info, called back and asked more questions and then booked.

If at first not successful, keep calling!

fredsfan - Persistence (and some logic) does seem to work with Carnival. It's really surprising that the PVP didn't just say "if you call back tomorrow you can book all three at the military rate" -or, preferably - "book the extra two today at non-military rate and call me back tomorrow when the sale is in effect and I'l change 'em to the Military rate". Unfortunately there seems to be a wide range in PVP's!!! Good Job!!! ken

Let me add. It really does depend on who you talk to - BUT - when sailings are close they tend to tighten up the purse strings. If you are before final payment you have some wiggle room as you can always cancel and re-book. I have never had an issue with change of pricing or changing an existing cabin to ta military rate - right up until a week before sailing - but again it just depends on who you are dealing with. You have to act like you know your stuff also, be informative but not forceful.

I was also informed about something that I was not aware of by my guy at Carnival. My husband is retired Navy and I'm prior Army. We booked a Penthouse Suite - which is not eligible for the discount. I found something out after asking the question, "Why can't get 3 cabins - since technically we weren't using the discount for our cabin?". I was told that each of us could have 2 ADDITIONAL cabins for a total of 4. If I moved to another cabin then we could have 5 total.

Just wanted to pass that on to the dual military eligible couples.

sorry, I am new here but what is OBC? (onboard credit??).

Also, this is kinda of frustrating and maybe someone can offer guidance. We booked 3 cabins on the Nov 22 Freedom on Friday 10/31 (the day before the special started!). The memo that came out about military discounts was dated Nov 28th. We asked our carnival rep about military discount and were told only the actual person in the military (not even the spouse) could get the rate. She not once mentioned this special even though she was asked point blank about military and she knew about teh special.

My question is, should this go straight to the supervisor or back to our booking rep or to the 800-carnival phone number. As you can guess we are a little annoyed about this...

I would call back to the person you made the booking with. If you don't get any satisfaction from her/him, ask for a supervisor. The military rate is for the cabin, so all people in the cabin get the reduced rate. Example. My wife, 2 children and I are going on a cruise and will be in the same cabin. Since I was in the military we all get the military rate. During family and friends, we can have two other couples join us and their room would be covered under my military experience. The discount is significant if available on the cruise you are taking. To find out if it is avaiable on your cruise call the 800 number before you call your PVP and ask whoever answers for the military rate on your cruiise. Tell them your name is Mark Johnson and give them a false phone # and tell them you will get back to them after you speak to your spouse. Hope this helps.

Does anybody know if the MF&F discounts apply to the CAT 11's and 12's? I just called Carnival regarding my upcoming cruise and she said that not only was it for NEW BOOKINGS only, even if she could get that approved, the discount never applies to the suites!:confused:

Anybody ever had this situation? Don't get me wrong, we booked this cruise far out (a year and a half ago) that we got a nice price on the suite and the price for the room has remained steady, if not a little higher. This past October we recently booked our son in a separate room (4E) when we found out he would be able to cruise with us and he got the military discount.

Just wondering anybody's else's experience with this. Thanks!

Does anybody know if the MF&F discounts apply to the CAT 11's and 12's? I just called Carnival regarding my upcoming cruise and she said that not only was it for NEW BOOKINGS only, even if she could get that approved, the discount never applies to the suites!

Anybody ever had this situation? Don't get me wrong, we booked this cruise far out (a year and a half ago) that we got a nice price on the suite and the price for the room has remained steady, if not a little higher. This past October we recently booked our son in a separate room (4E) when we found out he would be able to cruise with us and he got the military discount.

Not true, here is the pricing on out May 09 cruise, as you can see, the suite(Cat 11 & 12) has a military rate.

Carnival's Carnival Legend

redline.gif

Brochure Inside$1,769Our Inside$669Military Rate$615You Save65%Brochure Oceanview$1,969Our Oceanview$779Military Rate$679You Save66%redline.gif

Brochure Balcony$2,119Our Balcony$929Military Rate$775You Save63%Brochure Suite$2,619Our Suite$1,539Military Rate$1,263You Save52%redline.gif

The prices shown are US dollars per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability. They include port charges but do not include airfare or (where applicable) fuel surcharges or airport or government taxes or fees.

I hope this helps...

Not true, here is the pricing on out May 09 cruise, as you can see, the suite(Cat 11 & 12) has a military rate.

redline.gif

Brochure Inside$1,769Our Inside$669Military Rate$615You Save65%Brochure Oceanview$1,969Our Oceanview$779Military Rate$679You Save66%redline.gif

Brochure Balcony$2,119Our Balcony$929Military Rate$775You Save63%Brochure Suite$2,619Our Suite$1,539Military Rate$1,263You Save52%redline.gif

The prices shown are US dollars per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability. They include port charges but do not include airfare or (where applicable) fuel surcharges or airport or government taxes or fees.

I hope this helps...

Thanks Socref, I am going to call Carnival back again and see if I can't get the discount also. According to what everybody is saying on this thread, I should be able to receive it also. Here's to hoping I get better results this time. I let you guys know! Thanks:D

Does this apply to URW of retired military with ID card?

Well, When I got my email from my booking telling me what I needed to send in, it stated right on the email that spouse or decease active or retired military could get the rate.

Check this link around post number 5

Link:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=869669

I got that email long before the Friends and family discount came out, but way it reads to me is that spouses of deceased service members have always qualified for the rate. Now, does every rep at 1-888 know that, is the real question.

I called Carnival to book my cruise for Jan. 2010. I am not military, nor is the DH, but while I was booking I inquired about the military discount for my in-laws, because my father-in-law is retired military. I was told that I should book now, to get the best rate, and my in-laws will get the military discount when they book. Then, after they book with the military rate, watch for and call back when the friends and family of military promotion is running, and my cruise rate will be adjusted with the military rate as well. (The PVP volunteered the info. about the friends and family discount, I didn't even know it existed!) So I think it's all in who you talk to when you call... or what mood you happen to catch them in!:eek:

redline.gif

I hope this helps...

You might want to check, but I'm pretty sure that quote only covers Cat 11 suites.

• 2 weeks later...
Does this apply to URW of retired military with ID card?

I believe you can get the discount now. I just got my Guest Confimation email and it says:

Eligible Personnel:Active & retired U.S. Military, Reserves,

National Guard, Uniformed USPHS members.

Spouse of deceased personnel(active/retired) may book ONE cabin.

Note: Dishonorably discharged personnel are not eligible for

this special discount.

Give them a call!!!!! Its on their paperwork!!!!

Does anybody know if the MF&F discounts apply to the CAT 11's and 12's? I just called Carnival regarding my upcoming cruise and she said that not only was it for NEW BOOKINGS only, even if she could get that approved, the discount never applies to the suites!:confused:

It absolutely can apply to suites, I have had a military discount in a cat 12 and currently have one booked in a cat 11 (the cat 12 was not eligible for military discount at the time I booked). It is not available on all sailings, is capacity controlled even when offered, and is usually not available in all categories on any sailing. I've had the best luck finding availability in the category I wanted when booking 12 months or more out.

There are on-line agencies that list the military rate where you can see what's available and what's not. We aren't allowed to post names here, but just google military cruise deals and I'm sure you'll find them. If I have your cruise correctly as the Dec 7 Conquest I do see one cat 11 cabin available at a military rate of $833 as of 9:45 this morning.

Hmmm.. I was told by Carnival only one cabin was able to be booked (the one the military person was staying in) and that any additional cabins must wait for the friends and family of military special to come around?

That's true for the regular military discount. You can only book additional cabins during a Military Friends and Family special. But I thought the MF&F special was on for the month of Nov. :confused: Be aware that not all cruises are offered and there are only a limited number of cabins offered. Once they're sold for a particular cruise, they're gone.

Thank you cc members. My parents had booked directly through Carnival with their Military Discount. My sister and I booked rooms for our families with a TA. Our TA called Carnival today and was able to apply my parents military discount to our two rooms. Whoo-hoo, we saved $400 each on our rooms. It surely pays to ask.

No idea what % it is. Consensus is its one of the cheapest rates you can get. Must be active or spent atleast 2 years active duty with a Honarable Discharge. You will need a copy of your DD214 if not active. Here is a link for the most recent special for the military rate

Link:http://carnival-news.com/2008/10/28/new-promotion-from-carnival-allows-military-personnel-to-book-up-to-three-%e2%80%98fun-ship%e2%80%99-staterooms-at-discounted-rates/#more-626

And if you read, widows of active duty or retired military also can book a room under the military rates. :)

Archived