Detailed map of Infinity South America cruise

stromer

I will be sailing the Infinity South America Cruise (BA - Santiago) Feb 1, 2009 and would like to inquire if any one who has cruised this before has a detailed map of the Chilean Fiords part of the trip (a little more detail than the Celebrity map in the brochure) so I can see in detail where I will be going. Also does anyone know if the route includes Amalia Glacier.

Thanks, Rick

Hello Rick

We have done this itinerary (without the Falklands) twice, most recently this past February. Fantastic Voyage!!

As to teh maps...the best one I have is "Patagonian & Fuegian Channels, Chilean Fjords Cruise Chart, available from http://www.patagoniashop.net I believe, but I bought on Infinity during the voyage. Unfortunately it does not identify the glacier you cite.

Since you will be heading for Cabo de Hornos (my namesake) from the Falklands (weather permitting), and since you will be ariving at Cabo de Hornos in the late afternoon, you will likely (again weather permitting) circumnavigate C de H clockwise. After that, if the weather holds, you may "tread water" on the north side of Isla Hornos for a while, taking in a good view of the "albatross" and the Chilean outpost.

Then you will head for the Beagle Channel to Ushuaia - no glaciers yet - where you will arrive in the early morning. I can recommend the inland bus tour to Lago Escondido which includes lunch, and some spectacular views, and a tour of the prison, plus some free time in town if you wish.

That afternoon you will depart at 4 pm for the Darwin Channel, north of Isla Gordon. If you are in an outside cabin with verandah (I recommend you take a starboard side cabin), you will enjoy a wonderful view of the famous glaciers (Holanda, Francia, Allemagnia, etc. from your "living room" at sea. Taking a late dinner would be best on that day.

As I see you are heading next for Punta Arenas, you will be sailing at night out to sea, then turning to starboard at the Cockburn Channel for Punta Arenas. I took the 2-hr each way ferry excursion to Isla Magdalena for a nice visit with my little feathered friends los Penguinas Magellanes (which you can also see at Puerto Madryn - Punta Tomba excursion which is a long bus or car ride).

Then you will take the Strait of Magellan (western reach) out to the Pacific, for your eventual tuen to the north. After that there are some options, and I can't be sure which route you will take. This last voyage, we were fortunate enough to sail past the Torres del Paine (from a distance), and little did we know the soon-to-be-rumbling volcano at Chaiten.

Wish I could be more helpful on the glacier you mention, but I think you can tell that I am truly excited for you. Bon Voyage!!

Cabo

Hello Rick

We have done this itinerary (without the Falklands) twice, most recently this past February. Fantastic Voyage!!

As to teh maps...the best one I have is "Patagonian & Fuegian Channels, Chilean Fjords Cruise Chart, available from www.patagoniashop.net I believe, but I bought on Infinity during the voyage. Unfortunately it does not identify the glacier you cite.

Since you will be heading for Cabo de Hornos (my namesake) from the Falklands (weather permitting), and since you will be ariving at Cabo de Hornos in the late afternoon, you will likely (again weather permitting) circumnavigate C de H clockwise. After that, if the weather holds, you may "tread water" on the north side of Isla Hornos for a while, taking in a good view of the "albatross" and the Chilean outpost.

Then you will head for the Beagle Channel to Ushuaia - no glaciers yet - where you will arrive in the early morning. I can recommend the inland bus tour to Lago Escondido which includes lunch, and some spectacular views, and a tour of the prison, plus some free time in town if you wish.

That afternoon you will depart at 4 pm for the Darwin Channel, north of Isla Gordon. If you are in an outside cabin with verandah (I recommend you take a starboard side cabin), you will enjoy a wonderful view of the famous glaciers (Holanda, Francia, Allemagnia, etc. from your "living room" at sea. Taking a late dinner would be best on that day.

As I see you are heading next for Punta Arenas, you will be sailing at night out to sea, then turning to starboard at the Cockburn Channel for Punta Arenas. I took the 2-hr each way ferry excursion to Isla Magdalena for a nice visit with my little feathered friends los Penguinas Magellanes (which you can also see at Puerto Madryn - Punta Tomba excursion which is a long bus or car ride).

Then you will take the Strait of Magellan (western reach) out to the Pacific, for your eventual tuen to the north. After that there are some options, and I can't be sure which route you will take. This last voyage, we were fortunate enough to sail past the Torres del Paine (from a distance), and little did we know the soon-to-be-rumbling volcano at Chaiten.

Wish I could be more helpful on the glacier you mention, but I think you can tell that I am truly excited for you. Bon Voyage!!

Cabo

Please join my thread, Infinity Comments.

Archived