Jade, or NCL in general, Stardust Theater

Lewis/Klitschko

I love seeing movies on a cruise, but don't want to have that in place of the production numbers they put on in the theaters. The Vegas-style shows are a highlight of our cruise since we don't go to that type of thing at home.

Now, watching movies out on an open deck is awesome! Or in a small movie room would be good.

I'm not sure that quoting the Jade as an example of Vegas-type shows is a bit misleading in this debate. (This may not be true of other NCL ships though.)

I think the theatre on Jade is lovely - and with excellent acoustics (good live band, located elsewhere on the ship though - not within the theatre). However I must say we were not at all impressed by the shows - with little/no staging, costumes or choreography. They did not do justice to the setting at all. The 'production numbers' were barely more than cabarets so I found this aspect very disappointing.

I would think an open-deck cinema quite a novelty though and would like to experience this sometime.

Movies would be great!

I don't really care for the shows, but living in one of the best theatre cities in the world, I guess I am spoiled.

However, I don't see why it has to be an either/or situation. Have a 7:30- show, then a 9:30 movie. (or even a 11 PM movie).

They could sell drinks before the movie, and offer lots of popcorn... Imagine beer and popcorn watching a movie.

The only concern I have is cost... I wouldn't pay to see a movie in the theatre, I can do that at home... so no 'cover' charge please. In exchange I am willing to forgo "new" releases and stick to "recent" releases (available on Airplanes, etc), as I understand the licenses are significantly cheaper.

I'm not sure that quoting the Jade as an example of Vegas-type shows is a bit misleading in this debate. (This may not be true of other NCL ships though.)

I think the theatre on Jade is lovely - and with excellent acoustics (good live band, located elsewhere on the ship though - not within the theatre). However I must say we were not at all impressed by the shows - with little/no staging, costumes or choreography. They did not do justice to the setting at all. The 'production numbers' were barely more than cabarets so I found this aspect very disappointing.

I would think an open-deck cinema quite a novelty though and would like to experience this sometime.

How do you think the shows could be improved? Which shows would you have preferred to see?

Movies would be great!

I don't really care for the shows, but living in one of the best theatre cities in the world, I guess I am spoiled.

However, I don't see why it has to be an either/or situation. Have a 7:30- show, then a 9:30 movie. (or even a 11 PM movie).

They could sell drinks before the movie, and offer lots of popcorn... Imagine beer and popcorn watching a movie.

The only concern I have is cost... I wouldn't pay to see a movie in the theatre, I can do that at home... so no 'cover' charge please. In exchange I am willing to forgo "new" releases and stick to "recent" releases (available on Airplanes, etc), as I understand the licenses are significantly cheaper.

Just got back from the Dawn 10/19. Besides the Stardust Theater, featuring 3 Jean Ann Ryan production shows, there was a comedian, magician and Second City Improv.

In addition, there is a dedicated cinema that runs movies during the day, evening, and late night. Like you say they tend to be recent releases. They do get new movies in every few months.

How do you think the shows could be improved? Which shows would you have preferred to see?

Lewis/Klitscho

Hi, I do appreciate everyone has a different view on this kind of thing - but I'll try to explain to you why I made my previous comments.

I'm not keen on one show with just an opera singer, another with acrobats, one with jugglers and one featuring ballroom style dancers - each lasting for about 45 minutes. Although individually good acts, it became a bit repetitive and boring after a while. They would have been better in quarter-hour slots put together as a variety show. (Of course that wouldn't be cost effective so I can see why that doesn't happen).

Apart from the shows described above, the others were 'production shows' which were ok singing-wise but weren't to my mind 'productions' - they lacked any staging, costumes or decent choreography (no dancing really at all - just a bit of arm-action a few steps to the left then right etc.) The three shows we saw lacked much of a story and had no impact whatsoever for me.

I brought it up as I felt the reference to 'Vegas' type shows could be a bit misleading for people if they think that's the style of show on the Jade. I confess I haven't been to Vegas!! :D but have an image of showteams in costumes (feathered headresses etc.,) doing some sharp Fosse - inspired choreography (Cabaret, Chigaco - type numbers or eg. with a Buddy Holly Story theme some hi-octane dancing etc) and that was nothing like what we got. There was no way the showteam on Jade could have delivered a 7 minute Can-Can for instance.

The parade of singers who came on stage, delivered their numbers well - but they were singers really - and that was it - as I said before more like a cabaret. It is very personal of course - everyone's tastes are different but this style of entertainment isn't really for me. (This applies to the shows in the theatre since the original post was about shows in the Stardust.) We did enjoy our cruise on Jade though - but not because of the entertainment.

Lewis/Klitscho

I brought it up as I felt the reference to 'Vegas' type shows could be a bit misleading for people if they think that's the style of show on the Jade. I confess I haven't been to Vegas!! :D but have an image of showteams in costumes (feathered headresses etc.,) doing some sharp Fosse - inspired choreography (Cabaret, Chigaco - type numbers or eg. with a Buddy Holly Story theme some hi-octane dancing etc) and that was nothing like what we got. There was no way the showteam on Jade could have delivered a 7 minute Can-Can for instance.

I think your impression of Vegas is a tad outdated. Not that I would expect Cirque shows on the Jade!

Fair comment! :D But you're right, there wasn't anything like Cirque du Soleil either! In my home-town we have touring shows from the West End (London equivalent of Broadway) which we do go to see and enjoy - ok perhaps not Vegas but very entertaining. I have seen 'potted ' versions of this kind of show on cruises - and that's what I prefer - as I said before, personal choice.

Hope this has answered your question. :)

Archived