Costa Maya - shore excursions question

Hi. I have a question about the shore excursions on Costa Maya. (Regarding an Explorer cruise in July)

1) My husband loves white sand beaches & snorkeling, will he like this port?

2) There are two snorkeling excursions listed by RCCL ; the Coral Reef Snorkel Exploration by Boat [$54.pp]-or- Costa Maya Beach Snorkel [$44.pp]. Which do you recommend? Also, I noticed that you have to sign a waiver for the Costa Maya Beach Snorkel Waiver. I have never had to do that with an excursion before. What's up with that?

Thanks for any advice,
Marina

Hi Marina,
If you love to snorkel, I would highly recommend Coral Reef Snorkel Exploration by Boat. We went on this in November 2003 and again in March 2004. This was the best coral reef I've ever seen. This excursion had the same crew members both times. I would also recommend that you purchase your own equipment (if you haven't already).

What we've found over the years, the beach snorkeling isn't near as good as the "off the boat" snorkeling (not near the beach).

As far as the waiver goes, we've signed them on several snorkeling excursions, including this one. It is all about liability & insurance.
Have a great time!

Southward ~ 1984
Tropicale ~ 1985
Sun Cruise Lines ~ Stella Solaris ~ 5/91
RCCL ~ Song of America ~ 7/92
Carnival ~ Fascination ~ 9/95
RCCL ~ Sovereign of the Seas ~ 10/97
Princess ~ Grand Princess ~ 10/99
RCCL ~ Voyager of the Seas ~ 10/00
RCCL ~ Adventurer of the Seas ~ 11/01 (Thanksgiving)
RCCL ~ Monarch of the Seas ~ 2/23/02
RCCL ~ Monarch of the Seas ~ 2/28/02
RCCL ~ Radiance of the Seas ~ 11/23/02 (Thanksgiving)
RCCL ~ Explorer of the Seas ~ 2/22/03
RCCL ~ Monarch of the Seas ~ 5/8/03 (Price was right)
Princess ~ Grand Princess ~ 11/23/03 (Thanksgiving)
RCCL ~ Splendour of the Seas ~ 3/29/04 Diamond Status

Costa Maya's beaches aren't very good, particularly by the pier. High waves and rocks. The beaches in nearby Mahajual are not much better (narrow and rocky with not good swimming) and crowded on cruise days. I also heard a great report on the boat snokel and wish we had done it. Go to the Costa Maya board under "Ports" and get the info on the two local snorkel operators who will do it for $20.

betsybug - good comments. We booked at the pier for $15 pp and then took a taxi to Majahual to catch the boat. After about an hour and a half, we went back to the town for refreshments and to soak up the culture and enviroment. The Majahual beaches were good beause you could enjoy food and beverage within steps of the water. However this does not appeal to everyone.

Archived