Marriage License

SayingIDo

How far in advance are you arriving in Ft. Lauderdale? The locations for obtaining a marriage license are only open Monday - Friday (earliest open @ 8 and latest closes @ 5:30). You would both have to go with proper id and payment (cash, cashier's check or money order). As long as neither one of you is a Florida Resident you would be ok to get a license the day before (FL Residents require a 3 day waiting period unless they attend state approved pre-marital counseling).

Here is a link that might help:

http://www.clerk-17th-flcourts.org/Clerkwebsite/BCCOC2/faqmarriage.aspx?#B

Okay, so the only thing left for our wedding 1/17 is the marriage license. Carnival is charging 75.00 additional just to get the license for us. Has anyone got the license from Ft Lauderdale on their own???

I think I would let them do it for the 75.00 instread of waiting until I got there and running around! That is the last thing I would want to worry about and knowing my luck we wouldn't be able to get it for some dumb reason and it would mess everything up! That is just me though!

Good luck and congrats!

I emailed the clerks office and they report they are close to the airport and since my plane lands at noon the day prior to our cruise I should have plenty of time. I don't particularly want to run around that day, but I hate giving someone 75 bucks for something I can do for free. It makes no sense to me... The clerks office ensured me that I would be able to get that license and have everything taken care of before close of business on Friday. The thought of my plane being late (as it is January and TN weather is unpredictable) bothers me, but I still don't think it will be a problem.

I emailed the clerks office and they report they are close to the airport and since my plane lands at noon the day prior to our cruise I should have plenty of time. I don't particularly want to run around that day, but I hate giving someone 75 bucks for something I can do for free. It makes no sense to me... The clerks office ensured me that I would be able to get that license and have everything taken care of before close of business on Friday. The thought of my plane being late (as it is January and TN weather is unpredictable) bothers me, but I still don't think it will be a problem.

I can understand that you don't want to spend extra money if not necessary, but you will only be working with a few hours Friday afternoon (remember you need to allow time to get your luggage and transportation after landing). What will you do if your flight is delayed or cancelled (mechanical or weather) and you can't get to the office until after they close? They are not open on weekends.

I tried to post this before, but CC was experiencing it's usual hiccups...

Anyway, does the $75 include all of the fees? If I remember correctly, we paid the $75 to RR/TWE when we got married, and that covered all of the license fees, plus overnight shipping to us. It was a slight pain for us since we were living apart at the time - I received the paperwork and had it notarized then overnighted to him, then he had it notarized and overnighted back to RR/TWE. The overnighting alone added probably $40 or so.

It was very much worth it to us to not have to worry about one extra (very important) detail!

• 1 month later...

Wow, you know... I really wish I had thought about this before i paid $210 for my wedding license through TWE, only to mess it up by signing on the wrong line and have to pay more.

Through TWE, our final marriage license cost will be $365. (with the notary public signatures (times 4) and shipping costs (times 2)

Crazy. Had I known then what I know now, we would have gone to the court ourself and paid the $93.50 the day before the cruise.

Future brides, beware! It would have been so worth it for us to just go to the courts ourselves!

I can understand that you don't want to spend extra money if not necessary, but you will only be working with a few hours Friday afternoon (remember you need to allow time to get your luggage and transportation after landing). What will you do if your flight is delayed or cancelled (mechanical or weather) and you can't get to the office until after they close? They are not open on weekends.

Completely agree. A wedding is stressful enough; a destination wedding adds more dimensions. If anything happens and they can't get to the clerk's office before it closes, they will be SOL. That is one stress I would be more than willing to pay $75 to avoid.

beachchick

We just got back from our wedding out of Ft. Lauderdale & we flew in and out of AZ. Normally not a problem at all. We were delayed 8 hours getting out of Phx and more than 9 back out of Florida. There is always the chance that something out of your control can happen. It was worth paying the extra money to have one less worry!

Archived