**Sas80**

esbie11

Hey Sas-I know you told me before that some day spa/salon services can be booked ahead of time by calling customer service at Time to Spa, but I can't remember what can/can't be booked ahead of time. Is it that massages can be booked, but hair/makeup appts can only be made once aboard the ship, or the other way around? And do they have make-up people at the salon, or is it mostly just hair? Thanks:D

I cant say specifically. I know that I was able to re book my hair appt time (after RR/TWE said it could absolutely not be changed)

I would suggest that you just call them or email them and ask what they would be willing to book for you.

I emailed those questions about a month ago and was told they do not do make up in the ship's salon. She said that if I bring my makeup along most of them are trained to professionally apply it. I'm going to go to MAC before the wedding and be taught myself just in case the salon doesn't pan out! But for some reason the thought of doing my own makeup on my wedding day stresses me out!

I emailed those questions about a month ago and was told they do not do make up in the ship's salon. She said that if I bring my makeup along most of them are trained to professionally apply it. I'm going to go to MAC before the wedding and be taught myself just in case the salon doesn't pan out! But for some reason the thought of doing my own makeup on my wedding day stresses me out!

I had MAC do a sample "schmear" of makeup for me, pre wedding. They actually give you a piece of paper to walk away with that details the colors that they apply and exactly where to put them. I still use the makeup, and reference paper to this day, every time I want to get "gussied" up! :D

I highly suggest that you bring your digital camera with you to the makeup counter. The reason I suggest this is because they will apply a heavy coat of makeup. So heavy you might think it is too much. Before you start to take some off, have someone take a shot of your whole self and just your face, being sure to use the flash (because that is what is going to happen on your wedding day) This will really help you determine if the makeup application is too heavy or not.

My mom was shocked that I was wearing so much makeup on my wedding day. The pictures looked great.

So how much does it cost to have MAC do a trial? And if you buy the exact products they use, do they have sample sizes or smaller sizes since I will only need it for one day? I hate to spend a fortune on make-up that I will only use for one day. I mean, I know I could use the rest of it other times, I just don't want to spend alot for it.:) Is the trial free as long as you buy products or how does that work?

Hey Esbie,

MAC will do it for free and give you a "map" so you can do it yourself. There is no obligation to buy, but their stuff is reasonably priced. (At least that's how it is here in NZ!)

Hope everything works out for you!

Cheers,

Ann

I use all MAC products and love love them! You will be able to use most if not all of it after the wedding. It doesn't cost a thing to do have them do your makeup. They hope you buy something, of course, but you don't have to. My new favorite MAC product is the waterproof mascara (a must have for the ceremony) :D. I've also been using this product after reading positive reviews on it:

http://www.skindinavia.com/web/makeup-finishing-spray.html

I put all of my makeup on and spray about 2-3 sprays of this on top. My makeup color lasts and stays fresh about 4x longer than without! I love it! I think it will be perfect for our wedding day in the heat!

So how much does it cost to have MAC do a trial? And if you buy the exact products they use, do they have sample sizes or smaller sizes since I will only need it for one day? I hate to spend a fortune on make-up that I will only use for one day. I mean, I know I could use the rest of it other times, I just don't want to spend alot for it.:) Is the trial free as long as you buy products or how does that work?

Finn is correct, Mac will apply the makeup for free. I spent $150 on Mac stuff prior to my wedding, but I bought brushes as well.

For your wedding, you really want to make sure you have the right foundation and powder (for color, to cut shine and control oil, and for longevity) You don't have to purchase Mac's suggestions, but make sure that your foundation/powder color is correct and that it works well for you. If you don't currently have a foundation and powder that works well for you, consider investing in Mac's suggestions. You don't want a shiny face in the picture. Also, you can skip the Mac mascara and eyeliner, as long as you already have a mascara and eyeliner that works well for you.

I guess, when you break it down, the eye makeup (shadow), lip color and blush are the things you really only need to seriously consider buying. The blush you can continue to use after the wedding, so that seems like a justifiable expense. The lip color is a splurge if you don't typically wear lip color every day. The eye makeup is definitely a splurge.

But you can always wear your eye makeup when you go out to clubs or events. I know that you and your guy do some fun things in Vegas, especially being new to the area. If you are going clubbing, to an xmas party, a work party or event you can always (re) use the eye makeup.

eh...I'm getting nostalgic for Vegas now......okay, it's over! :D

Anyways, call Mac and set up an apointment. The appointment is free and they will write down the products/colors they use so you can purchase them later.

Thanks so much fr all of the words of wisdom:D I will definitely set up an appt with MAC, however I will wait until closer to the wedding. I am ghost-white right now and am planning on going to a tanning salon for a few sessions before leaving for the cruise. Since getting the right color for foundation and powder is so important (this was my biggest concern), I will wait until after I tan few times to get my consultation so I will be the same "color" for my consultation and wedding day. Thanks again:)

Go for the MAC or the makeup of your choice. Ryan did the MAC and she looked wonderful. She also used the spray stuff to set her makeup and it worked wonderfully (she sprayed me too:)). I went to Sapphora and had mine done as well (smashbox) and we both have gotten use out of it. In fact, I use it everyday now -- and the best part is we actually saved money doing it and got to keep the products. The most important thing was the brush -- they have a special brush to apply liquid foundation that gives you a very similar look to airbrushing.

Funny Sas -- I also thought Ryan had too much on until we saw the way the pictures were coming out on the photographer's digital -- great advice to take the pics at the counter!

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice! I was thinking of doing a trial run for my hair and having someone take pictures during and after the process but didn't think of doing it for my makeup. I was concerned about how it would look and if it would last but sounds like this would be a good way to test it out. $150 for all of the makeup doesn't sound so bad, either, especially if I'll wear some of it again.

Go for the MAC or the makeup of your choice. Ryan did the MAC and she looked wonderful. She also used the spray stuff to set her makeup and it worked wonderfully (she sprayed me too:)). I went to Sapphora and had mine done as well (smashbox) and we both have gotten use out of it. In fact, I use it everyday now -- and the best part is we actually saved money doing it and got to keep the products. The most important thing was the brush -- they have a special brush to apply liquid foundation that gives you a very similar look to airbrushing.

Funny Sas -- I also thought Ryan had too much on until we saw the way the pictures were coming out on the photographer's digital -- great advice to take the pics at the counter!

Before I got married, when I worked as an engineer for a gaming company in Vegas, I met Pam Anderson at the Global Gaming Expo. (we did a slot machine based on her so she was at our booth, signing autographs)

I was SHOCKED ( :eek: <- me) at how much makeup she had caked on her face. Close up it really looked quite overdone and terrible - like she was trying way too hard... Nothing about her spoke "natural beauty". I thought to myself "anyone would look great, from a distance, if they wore that much makeup!" I left thinking "so that is how they manage to look so great all the time, they hide under a pound of makeup!!"

Later on, I was watching TV, or saw a picture, or something, and I realized that she was wearing the exact same amount of makeup and that she looked great. It was then that I put two and two together and realized that the flash/lights washed you out and to combat that you need to over do the makeup.

The digital camera suggestion is so that you can police yourself and don't over-do the over-do. I think I even took some test shots of myself on my wedding day to confirm that I didn't over do my own makeup.

It's an important day for all of us! Of course we want as many aspects to be as perfect as possible!

Remember though, that you also want to look like "you" in person and not like Pam looked. Looking great for pics is fine, but I would think it is more important to look great in person! I did my own makeup for my wedding (I don't wear much foundation except on blemishes and a little under my eyes) and I wore just a little more blush than normal and made sure I had powder to be able to keep from looking shiny. My pics came out great and I still looked like me. I've seen many brides who have done their own makeup and there makeup almost always looks good. Not too much and not too little. I wouldn't stress over the pictures too much! I don't feel they are as important as the actual moments during the wedding and reception. Those are the memories that will last forever. It also helps to be a little tan. Makes you look healthy and can be a great base for the tanning you'll be doing on the cruise! Just my two cents...

The digital camera suggestion is so that you can police yourself and don't over-do the over-do. I think I even took some test shots of myself on my wedding day to confirm that I didn't over do my own makeup.

It's an important day for all of us! Of course we want as many aspects to be as perfect as possible!

Yes, the camera trick is helpful! I found out the hard way (thank God before my wedding!) that I did indeed over do the foundation. I thought I was covering up the "yuckies", but in fact I didn't. I made them look worse! :eek:

If you're having an outdoor wedding, take the camera outside and take the photos. The lighting will be more similar to what you'll encounter on your wedding day.

I did a trial run with a Mary Kay and a Clinique rep. Did my own makeup that day and I didn't look too awful! :)

Ulta is having a buy one get one sale on makeup brushes. Call ahead to verify when the sale starts (I think on sunday)

You could always go there now, get a bunch of brushes and then return what you don't need after you get your makeup done/figure out exactly which brushes you need.

Just another tip for make-up trials...I've been in talks with make-up artists and hair stylists for our wedding. I was told by a number of them to wear a shirt similar to the color and neckline cut of my dress when going for a trail as make-up will look different against dark colors vs. light colors, shadows/light cast by fabric or hair, etc. I was also told to bring a picture of the dress and wear my hair in style like I would be wearing on the day of the wedding (if the make-up artist and hair stylist were not one in the same) so they could achive a make-up look that was in line with the look of the dress and hair; i.e.: romantic vs modern, etc.

I'm not sure if I am going to go with a professional or do my own, but thought I would share what they said...if it works for professionals why not the rest of us.

Archived