Passports for kids

sprite

Passports for kids?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Passports for kids?

• Yes
    • No

Hi all - DS (2 1/2 yo) and DD (7 mos) will be cruising with us in March. We're driving to port in NY and will be cruising to St. Thomas, Dom. Republic, Haiti, and San Juan. They don't need a passport for the cruise and we don't plan on traveling by air with them for several years so I don't want the hassel and expense of the passport.

BUT-- we would need one if there were some type of emergency and we needed to fly home. I don't know what would happen if we show up at the airport to get into the US with no passports for them. So, I'm just wondering, would you get passports for the kids or have you gotten them for your kids?

Thanks - as it's always helpful to get advice from fellow cruisers.

To be honest, I didn't get passports for my girls for their first couple of cruises (and then only got them because I had to since we were flying into the U.K.). But I'm not a ready-for-any-worst-case-scenario type, especially when it comes to a large expense. It could make things extremely difficult should you need to urgently evacuate them from one of the ports (though really only 2 out of 4 of the ports you visit). If it were me, I'd chance it, but again, that's not the most prudent view.

Best,

Mia

We do have passports for our kids - in fact, on Saturday one of our local post offices is holding a passport fair, so we're renewing the younger sons' passports then so we don't have to take time off from work or pull the kids out of school to do it. I find it a convenient form of identification for them.

Hi all - DS (2 1/2 yo) and DD (7 mos) will be cruising with us in March. We're driving to port in NY and will be cruising to St. Thomas, Dom. Republic, Haiti, and San Juan. They don't need a passport for the cruise and we don't plan on traveling by air with them for several years so I don't want the hassel and expense of the passport.

BUT-- we would need one if there were some type of emergency and we needed to fly home. I don't know what would happen if we show up at the airport to get into the US with no passports for them. So, I'm just wondering, would you get passports for the kids or have you gotten them for your kids?

Thanks - as it's always helpful to get advice from fellow cruisers.

Well, you have already figured out the pros and cons. So, what are you comfortable with. How will you feel if the worst does happen? It is not going to make any difference to us. So the only one who can really answer this question is you. So what would you do?

Personally I would (and did for our daughter) spend the $85 bucks for the passport. It's good for 5 years and is much easier and more convenient than dealing with birth certificates. Plus in an emergency I wouldn't want to try flying home from Haiti without a US passport.

Another option is to look into the passport card which is a cheaper option, but is not good for air travel. It will however work for sea travel in the Caribbean, Mexico, etc.

We will be cruising with my DD who will be 8.5months at the time. She's had her passport since she was 4 months old! I've found it's come in very handy for identification when we fly domestic, rather than toting the birth certificate around.

I'm a firm believer that they make life a lot easier in the boarding and debarkation process too, so I'd say get one.

Another option is to look into the passport card which is a cheaper option, but is not good for air travel. It will however work for sea travel in the Caribbean, Mexico, etc.

We are going on Mariner of the Seas December 14th, Western Caribbean, We got each of our children (four ages 21,20,18,and 14) passcards because we didn't want to pay for passports. If they are under 16 it is about $35 over 16 $45. It took about 3 weeks to get them. You can also get an official ID card at the office where you get your drivers license.

I do have passports for my kids.

But I can tell you that I cruise with friends that don't get passports for their kids because they see the cruise as a "once in a lifetime" experience for the kids. So they know they won't cruise again soon.

If you think you will cruise again with them in the next 5 years, then get the passport.

We got a passport for our son when he was about 6 months old. Its been very convenient to have and we've used it for domestic flights too (we flew the day before his 2nd birthday and it provided proof that he was under two). It's kind of odd to see his baby picture on it now that he is 4 and looks nothing like he did then, but it will be a great keepsake when it expires next year (and yes, he will be getting a new one). I personally think that everyone should have a passport if there is even a remote possibility that they will be traveling outside of the country (and going on a cruise counts as traveling outside of the county most of the time).

BUT-- we would need one if there were some type of emergency and we needed to fly home. I don't know what would happen if we show up at the airport to get into the US with no passports for them.

What would happen? You would not be allowed to board without a passport.

No one plans to have an emergency. Get the passports.

We are going on Mariner of the Seas December 14th, Western Caribbean, We got each of our children (four ages 21,20,18,and 14) passcards because we didn't want to pay for passports. If they are under 16 it is about $35 over 16 $45. It took about 3 weeks to get them. You can also get an official ID card at the office where you get your drivers license.

IMO, passcards are a total waste of money if you are purchasing them to use on a cruise. You currently need only a BC to cruise in the Caribbean, and a passcard won't get you on a plane. I just don't see the point. If all you want is a picture ID, you can get one at your DMV or licensing office for a nominal fee.

To each his own.

I did get a passport for DD when we cruised with her at 6mo. I'm not sure I see the down side of getting one as they are cheap compared to the other expenses of cruising and the application process is pretty easy. Then again I like to be prepared and wouldn't feel comfortable being in another country knowing I would not be ready to handle an emergency. Plus I knew I would be taking other trips with DD in the future.

DD's had her passport since she was an infant (she's on #3 right now). We bring it with when we are traveling domestically or internationally.

Having the pp has allowed us to take trips that we otherwise would not have -- for example her first trip to Italy was when she was 4YO, I was looking for a flight to Portland Oregon or Seattle when an ad popped up for a special offer from my home airport to Milano. The price to Milano was 45% less per ticket than the price to the west coast so we changed plans and flew off to Italy.

While in case of an emergency, there are ways of getting permission to travel without the pp, it would be more difficult. In a time of crisis, the last thing you want are additional problems to deal with.

IMO, passcards are a total waste of money if you are purchasing them to use on a cruise. You currently need only a BC to cruise in the Caribbean, and a passcard won't get you on a plane. I just don't see the point. If all you want is a picture ID, you can get one at your DMV or licensing office for a nominal fee.

To each his own.

An ID card or regular drivers license (not enhanced) is just proof of identity not proof of citizenship. A passport card is proof of both. They definitely serve a purpose for land/sea travel and for those living near the Canadian or Mexican border. But I would agree that it makes more sense to spend the extra $50 and get a full passport instead.

To each his own.

I disagree. I think of it more as an insurance policy. Sure, its a waste of money when you don't need it, but when you do, you really are glad that you have it.

I disagree. I think of it more as an insurance policy. Sure, its a waste of money when you don't need it, but when you do, you really are glad that you have it.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand this. If you are cruising with a picture ID and your birth certificate in the Caribbean, how is a passcard an "insurance policy"?

It won't allow you to get on an airplane to return to the US in an emergency.

An ID card or regular drivers license (not enhanced) is just proof of identity not proof of citizenship. A passport card is proof of both. They definitely serve a purpose for land/sea travel and for those living near the Canadian or Mexican border. But I would agree that it makes more sense to spend the extra $50 and get a full passport instead.

Yes, you would need a picture ID and your BC to currently cruise in the Caribbean. Most adults already have a picture ID in the form of a driver's license. So why pay the money for a passcard?

The only time, IMO, a passcard is useful is if you are not willing to pay for a passport, and you make frequent land crossings between the US and Canada or Mexico.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand this. If you are cruising with a picture ID and your birth certificate in the Caribbean, how is a passcard an "insurance policy"?

It won't allow you to get on an airplane to return to the US in an emergency.

I thought we were talking about Passports. Now that I'm reading a little more closely, I have no idea what a passcard is or what the advantages/disadvantages are. Maybe someone can fill me in?

The Passport Card is a drivers license sized version of a regular passport book. It is proof of both identity and citizenship. They are good for land/sea travel, but not for air travel. They contain the same type of RFID chip as the newer passports for speeding up processing at the border. They are valid for the same period of time as a regular passport book (10/5 year). They are basically designed for people living near the Canadian or Mexican borders as a cheaper smaller alternative to a full passport book.

Archived