SCUBA in Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel

shunga

I'm getting certified this month, and will be on a NCL cruise to these ports in early December. Should I book dives through NCL, or is there a better option? When the NCL excursion says "no equipment" what do you have to rent, and what's the cost ? Thanks in advance.

I'm getting certified this month, and will be on a NCL cruise to these ports in early December. Should I book dives through NCL, or is there a better option? When the NCL excursion says "no equipment" what do you have to rent, and what's the cost ? Thanks in advance.

When the excursion description says "No Equipment", it means you'll have to rent everything except your tanks and weights.

As for who you should dive with, that's more a personal preference. To help you make a decision, I wrote the following:

The way shore excursions work is that the cruise line contracts with companies at each port of call to provide the shore excursions the sell on the ships. In most cases, you can make your own arrangements and cut out the cost the cruise line adds to the trip.

Pros of making your own arrangements, at least for diving:

• usually cost less
  • not limited on bottom time, dive your own profile
  • can choose a smaller boat which will be less crowded
  • can have a voice in decided the dive site
  • smaller operator, more personal service
  • better choice for more advanced divers
  • you can shore dive if you want, which is much less expensive and not dependent on someone else's schedule. Grand Cayman is especially good for this.

Cons:

• more work for you to make plans, get to the meeting place
  • ship won't wait if you are late, but being late is highly unlikely

Going with the ship's excursion

Pros:

• easy planning
  • gear is often included
  • good choice for the once a year cruise diver
  • you get to dive with other people from your ship
  • ship will wait if you are late ( this does matter to some people)
  • easier logistically at some ports, especially Belize, or if you arrive in port too late for the morning dive boats from private operators

Cons:

• Usually cost a bit more, sometimes a lot more
  • usually larger boats which can usually mean more people, but not always
  • usually predetermined dive sites
  • usually bottom times are predetermined, or everyone has to surface when the first person is low on air.
  • dives are often follow the leader type dives, which is especially annoying for advanced divers or photographers

I hope this will help others decide which to choose, as there is no one right answer for everyone, every time.

I'd personally prefer diving with a smaller group of divers and so I just about always choose to make my own dive arrangements rather than go with the ship's excursion.

Cozumel is a nice place, but can also be a challenge to a new diver. It is drift diving, so you just let the currents take you.

I went with Scuba with Alison back in March and her outfit is fantastic. I will be using her again in December. You let them know you are a rookie and they will make sure you are takin care of.

I dove in all 3 places, and they were all good.

In Belize, it is a long tender to get to the cruise terminal in Belize city. But the excursion operator Hugh Parkey comes to the ship to pick up divers -- this is the only place they do it.

We actually took a propeller plane to Ambergris Cay, and went diving from there. The sites were good. My wife and friends went snorkeling, and the site Shark Ray Alley was very good. They did get to see nurse sharks and rays.

In Costa Maya, I (and a diving friend I met on ship) went to Blue Ocean Safari. Took a small boat, not far from shore, to some very nice reef. If we had gone with Carnival excursion, it'd cost twice as much.

Coz is very good diving. There're are 130+ dive ops there, which gives you an idea how big the divining industry is there. It's very clear water, and drift diving. The diving there is still among the best I've done. I enjoyed the drift diving very much. If you don't think it'll be an issue, then go for it.

I went with Scuba with Alison back in March and her outfit is fantastic. I will be using her again in December. You let them know you are a rookie and they will make sure you are takin care of.

We went with Alison as well on our first "real" dives after certifying. We've booked with her again for April. Looks like she get's lots of repeat business, which says something about her operations.

I dove in all 3 places, and they were all good.

In Belize, it is a long tender to get to the cruise terminal in Belize city. But the excursion operator Hugh Parkey comes to the ship to pick up divers -- this is the only place they do it.

We actually took a propeller plane to Ambergris Cay, and went diving from there. The sites were good. My wife and friends went snorkeling, and the site Shark Ray Alley was very good. They did get to see nurse sharks and rays.

In Costa Maya, I (and a diving friend I met on ship) went to Blue Ocean Safari. Took a small boat, not far from shore, to some very nice reef. If we had gone with Carnival excursion, it'd cost twice as much.

Coz is very good diving. There're are 130+ dive ops there, which gives you an idea how big the divining industry is there. It's very clear water, and drift diving. The diving there is still among the best I've done. I enjoyed the drift diving very much. If you don't think it'll be an issue, then go for it.

You cannot go wrong with Alison and Blue Ocean Safari. Not sure Blue Ocean Safari is back yet in Costa Maya.

We went with Alison as well on our first "real" dives after certifying. We've booked with her again for April. Looks like she get's lots of repeat business, which says something about her operations.

A friend who owns a dive shop in Cozumel recommends Alison to her own customers when she's fully booked.

You cannot go wrong with Alison and Blue Ocean Safari. Not sure Blue Ocean Safari is back yet in Costa Maya.

I saw the web site of Blue Ocean Safari back. Also saw some news reports of them being involved in the reef cleanup. (This is after Costa Maya was hit by a cat 5 hurricane, pretty well wiped out the village there, and damaged the pier, 2 years ago)

For people who enjoy diving/snorkeling and nature, Costa Maya is a great place. For people who just want to shop and drink, they reported it being a boring little fishing village.

• 2 weeks later...

Got certified this weekend in Panama City, FL. Daughter & I have booked with NCL for Belize, and Alison for Cozumel. Special thanks to Bruce, and to everyone else for the help. I'll post one more after we get back 12/07.

As a brand new diver, I'd recommend going with the cruise ship.

As you dive more, you can get better deals and better dives by booking on your own, however, being brand-new, you don't need any additional anxiety before the dive, like "how to we get there?", finding out they only take cash, "the taxi driver can't find the dive shop or boat" and all sorts of other stuff.

It's not that it's rocket-science, it's just that you'll already have enough stuff on your mind that it's just easier to let the ship handle the details.

That said, I will mention a couple of things about your personal safety.

The first is that you and your buddy have final responsibility for each other's safety. Having a dive-master may make you feel all safe and warm, but he's generally interested in keeping 6 or more (maybe a lot more) people together and generally safe, and won't be able to pay a lot of attention to any specific individuals.

You need to keep an eye on your own gauges, know how much air you have left (keep an eye on it all though the dive) and tell the DM if you're starting to get low (800PSI or less). It's also a good idea to keep an eye on your buddy's air, in case he/she is having a "senior moment" and forgets. With two people watching both gauges, the chances of running out of air are very low.

Anyway, have fun! You'll love it!.

Terry

When I was a brand new diver, I did my very first blue water dives with Sea Sport Belize. Great Op, and only a short walk from the tender pier. If you only have a short stop in Belize, this is one place I would book through the cruise line as they use Hugh Parkey - a very reliable op.

As for Cozumel - give Scuba with Alison a look. We first found her 5 years ago - on Thanksgiving Day. We've been going back to her ever since, and now when we fly to the island we only book with her. She's an easy taxi ride from any of the cruise piers - no chance of getting lost!, and she will take great care of you. Plus if you don't have your own gear, her rental stuff is reliable gear that is very well maintained - by her. I'll be diving with her for Spring Break 09 ... wish it was sooner!

• 3 weeks later...

During the safety stop on our first dive in Belize, I made an ill fated attempt to inhale as much of the Caribbean as possible through my nose as I tried to clear my mask. As a result, I surfaced with lungs gurgling and coughing up some pretty, pink-tinged yuck. The Hugh Parkey crew put me on O2, and quickly took me back to the ship. The NCL med team hooked me up to the blood oxygen monitor, listened to my by-then much improved chest rattle, and took a chest X-ray. After a few minutes, I was released to come back in three hours for a follow-up listen to my lungs. Three hours later I was vastly improved, just a tiny rattle still present. The nurse followed up with a call the next afternoon. In summary, the care I recieved from everyone involved was first-rate, and I wasn't charged a dime. I took a taxi to tell Alison that I couldn't dive with her in Cozumel the next day (doctor's orders). She refused to take any compensation for the cancellation, and thanked me repeatedly for making the effort to come out to tell her.

During the safety stop on our first dive in Belize, I made an ill fated attempt to inhale as much of the Caribbean as possible through my nose as I tried to clear my mask. As a result, I surfaced with lungs gurgling and coughing up some pretty, pink-tinged yuck. The Hugh Parkey crew put me on O2, and quickly took me back to the ship. The NCL med team hooked me up to the blood oxygen monitor, listened to my by-then much improved chest rattle, and took a chest X-ray. After a few minutes, I was released to come back in three hours for a follow-up listen to my lungs. Three hours later I was vastly improved, just a tiny rattle still present. The nurse followed up with a call the next afternoon. In summary, the care I recieved from everyone involved was first-rate, and I wasn't charged a dime. I took a taxi to tell Alison that I couldn't dive with her in Cozumel the next day (doctor's orders). She refused to take any compensation for the cancellation, and thanked me repeatedly for making the effort to come out to tell her.

OH shunga, I am so sorry that your dive ended like this! But at least it all turned out OK, it could have been worse. Sounds like everyone went out of their way to ensure you were going to be well.

That was awesome of Alison to refuse any compensation. I booked with her but ended up diving with her pal Chucho as she had to go out on an early morning dive. Take care and hopefully your future dives will be better.

Shunga ... so sorry you had a bad experience!! I hope it doesn't put you off diving!! And that was great of you to take the time to go check in with Alison. She is a real sweetheart. Hopefully you'll get another chance to go dive with her sometime in the future ...

• 2 months later...

Chucho is Allison's partner. It is the same operation - she just won't be aboard. We dove with Chucho last year and he was an excellent divemaster - very safety conscious and observant, especially of any newbie divers who need extra guidance as we had one in our group of 6 divers.

Jeleja,

How was diving with Chucho? Allison is booked and suggested him.

Chucho is GREAT, an EXCELLENT divemaster! We actually booked with Alison, but she took out an early morning group and so she sent Chucho to take us, who as reddi said, is part of her operation. He was very friendly, funny and extremely safety conscious (as reddi stated).

In between dives he had fresh fruit, pastry and bottles of water to share, which I thought was a nice touch. After the dive he went out and hailed a cab for us, helped us haul our equipment to the cab, a very nice gentleman he is. I would absolutely dive with him again anytime.

Chucho is great ... before Alison got her new boat, she booked her divers using Chucho's boat. So they are pretty much the same in how they operate, and take care of their divers. He's an excellent DM. I hope you get to dive with him, you'll have a blast!:D

We are so excited! We will be diving with Alison on Weds next week on our RC cruise! For anyone considering diving in Coz or looking for a DM, Alison is the way to go! We've dove with her since 2001 and she is great! Some of our best vacation memories include diving in Coz thanks to Alison and Chucho - you can't go wrong diving with either one of them! If you can, stay on the island for a land-based dive trip and try out the night diving! It is awesome to see the night life under water in Coz! :cool:

Archived