Live from the glory - just missed roatan!

Froufie

Hi there,

Well seems there is still 'civil unrest' in Roatan - we pulled in this morning around 8 am - I got up early, ate, dressed, packed up the beach bag got ready to leave when first announcement came - no debarkation at this time.

Island and mainland on 'strike' due to gov increase in electricity costs (as was mentioned a few weeks ago - thought this was over?) - roads blocked and no access for tours in and out of port.

2nd announcement about hour later - not safe to disembark so we are leaving - there was possible mention of visiting another port -but we are now just enjoying another day at sea along with a $20 credit/port tax refund.

Oh well - I really did was looking forward to my victor bodden tour as I have never visited Roatan but I guess it was not meant to be.

This and the very late departure on Saturday due to the medical emergency I"m sure is leaving a bad taste in some cruisers' mouths? Hopefully people are still having fun - I know I am (and looking forward to the supper club this evening yum!)

Later,

P.S. Most disturbing news I heard today but not confirmed is that someone died on a Carnival snorkelling yesterday in Belize - trying to get further details.

P.P.S. and we missed the 'official' last tender in Belize and almost got stuck there - more on this when I get home! Beware belizecruiseexcursions!

Sorry about Roatan as well as the late departure Saturday.

A co-worker of mine is on this cruise as well. I can only imagine how ticked off she probably is. Not a go-with-the-flow kind of gal!

Hopefully its smooth sailing for the rest of the week.

Only three weeks till we board!!

I'm sorry you missed Roatan, it's a lovely island with very friendly people. It's ashame that the actions of some are affecting the livelyhood of others. Thanks for the heads up on the tour company in Belize. We are going to these stops in April- I really hope everything is back to normal by then.

Hey Froufie~ I sent you a good bye wish on your RC, hope you got it.

This is turning into quite the cruise so far, sounds like you're still in good spirits though :)

Can't wait to hear all about the cruise, enjoy the rest of the trip and thanks for the update :)

Too bad about Roatan, one of our Dr's at work and one of the nurses are due to go to Honduras next week to run a health clinic, hope all is well where they are going.

Thanks for the update.

We were just in Roatan in May and had a wonderful time. No idea about any unrest.

Sad news about the person in Belize. If confirmed that would be first cave tubing and now snorkeling....in such a short period of time.

Be sure to give us the details of your Belize experience when you return.

Hope the rest of your cruise is PERFECT.

Wow! We were in Roatan last week on the Valor!!! Everything was hunky dory!!! :)

Not any more. Ships may cancel the season now.

Situation in Roatan Worse than before.

Posts from the Island:11/05/08

Dangerous out there

The roads are blocked at AKR and now they have moved to the crossroads, thesmall road that goes to the beach by the carwash towards west end. I just sentMy worker home so she can stay with her children.
I predict this is going to be a very bad situtation and please stay off the roads by all means. I have neverseen anything like it in 39 years. It looks like an all out war between thepeople who are coming from the coast with nothing invested here on the island.
I sugesst they put them all on the Galaxey and ship them back to the mainland ordrop them overboard on the way. This is going to be the last straw and I predictReco will move out. so back to no electric and I would not blame them one bit.I do hope I am wrong but please stay in your homes at all costs.

there are blockades all over the island.

the police has moved the blockade at the big bridge near welcome plaza
the ship has left the port today at 8:30 am because of security.

the local authorities are now at french harbour looking to set a meeting up withthe blockade leaders.the municipal is open but will close later on if there is no change on the blockades.
the mayor ask to take precautions do not come out of your houses if not necesary

People are tearing trees down to make road blocks.

The cruise ships said that if they were blocked again that they would cancel for the rest of the season.

This is a very dire situation. Everyone should avoid Roatan at all costs.

Sounds like Carnival is going to cancel their stops on the Island for the rest of the year and maybe beyond. US Embassy in Honduras has issued more warnings.

What a shame.

Hi there,

Well seems there is still 'civil unrest' in Roatan - we pulled in this morning around 8 am - I got up early, ate, dressed, packed up the beach bag got ready to leave when first announcement came - no debarkation at this time.

Island and mainland on 'strike' due to gov increase in electricity costs (as was mentioned a few weeks ago - thought this was over?) - roads blocked and no access for tours in and out of port.

2nd announcement about hour later - not safe to disembark so we are leaving - there was possible mention of visiting another port -but we are now just enjoying another day at sea along with a $20 credit/port tax refund.

Oh well - I really did was looking forward to my victor bodden tour as I have never visited Roatan but I guess it was not meant to be.

This and the very late departure on Saturday due to the medical emergency I"m sure is leaving a bad taste in some cruisers' mouths? Hopefully people are still having fun - I know I am (and looking forward to the supper club this evening yum!)

Later,

P.S. Most disturbing news I heard today but not confirmed is that someone died on a Carnival snorkelling yesterday in Belize - trying to get further details.

P.P.S. and we missed the 'official' last tender in Belize and almost got stuck there - more on this when I get home! Beware belizecruiseexcursions!

what a shame....great attitude, have fun....cant wiat to read report

I hate to see it happen, but I hope if they drop Roatan from the schedule they will replace it with another stop and not just a "sea day". I really feel for all the citizens who depend on the tourist to make a living. I can understand the difficulty of such huge increase in electrical rates, but they aren't doing themselves any favors by cutting off their lifelines.

Wow! I hate to hear this--#1 for the people of Roatan. and #2 sounds like I won't get to visit the island with Viktor next Thursday. We were really looking forward to this port since we hadn't been there before.

Another port stop---mmmmmmmm maybe costa maya or even an extra sea day will make me happy.

Wow! I hate to hear this--#1 for the people of Roatan.

The "People of Roatan" are the ones shutting down the roads and closing the port.

Don't you think if the whole thing was just about a power bill that they would do everything they could to keep the tourist money coming in so they could earn a living?

This whole thing stinks like old fish. Roatan is a wonderful island that we have enjoyed many times. There's more than just an electric bill going on there.

Another port stop---mmmmmmmm maybe costa maya or even an extra sea day will make me happy.

I'm with you- if I have to miss Roatan, my first choice would be Costa Maya. I had such a great time on my first visit and would love to go back

Thanks for the post. I'm taking my boyfriend on his first cruise for Christmas, and he was going to do his first SCUBA dive in Roatan....

Guess I'll look into making other plans. :(

Please keep us updated. Thank you.

We're going on the Valor on Sunday - I'm wondering if they already know now they aren't gonna stop there, or if it's more of a "game-time decision"? I'm a planner and organizer, not knowing what's gonna happen puts me on edge, haha.

We booked a Carnival excursion for Roatan. Do they just refund your CC?

We're going on the Valor on Sunday - I'm wondering if they already know now they aren't gonna stop there, or if it's more of a "game-time decision"? I'm a planner and organizer, not knowing what's gonna happen puts me on edge, haha.

We booked a Carnival excursion for Roatan. Do they just refund your CC?

I believe so. The people who are currently cruising on the Glory said that they received refunds on any excursions booked through Carnival and got a $20 credit.

Hi Froufie

We were wondering if you had a delayed embarkation because we had heard about the medical emergency. I'm sure you'll fill us in when you get back.

We have it all figured out, you and Laura are both snorers so you can room together for the reunion cruise.

Wendy

Archived