Roatan Civil Unrest - Carnival Ship Evacuated from Port Today

I spoke with Victor Bodden in Roatan for our upcoming Jan tour. He stated he had heard that the cruise ships had threathned to pull out for atleast a year if they continued to miss the port and that everything was being done to try and stop the conflict. Unfortunately the little guy trying to make a fair dollar for himself cannot control the government.

I feel sorry for him and others like him, I could feel the concern in his email and hope everything works out for them.

However if NCL does decide to drop Roatan, which according to my PCC has not happened as of yet, I hope we get enough notice. Roatan was my main choice for this cruise, I could deal with another port if that is the case, but not another day at sea

I think Victor was our guide when we were there a couple years ago. Very nice man. Even took us to him home and showed us his monkeys and such. His wife had a little tiny grocery stand on the property. A few people bought vanilla or something like that there. Yes there is a lot of poverty there. Victor stopped for a view several time and there was woman with young children who came up to the bus windows and tried to sell beaded necklaces. We bought a couple just for the heck of it.

I'm on the November 16th Pearl sailing and Roatan is the first stop on the Tuesday after departing Miami on the Sunday - it would be a major bummer to be at sea for another day, so I hope they redirect to Costa Maya if we can't go to Roatan.

That said, I was really looking forward to Roatan so hope this is resolved before then. It is disappointing that no clear direction has been given by NCL.

Ill be on the 11/16 as well...It looks like Roatan is a go so far

We are looking forward to the meet and greet on the Pear this coming Monday. Right now I am reading and trying to book an excursion in Roatan with Victor Bodden. If you or anyone you know of already has done their booking, and is looking for a couple to join them, look us up at the M&G.

Primarily as professional photographers, we want to hit some photo ops and hook up with some monkeys! :) We love to meet the islanders and get the flavor of the island and the people as well. Did I not put the priorities in the right order? haha!

Archived