Help with plans in San Pedro

cuterlmt

We're sailing on 12-13 on the Sapphire Princess. Can hardly wait. We take the train in from New Mexico so we arrive early morning on Friday the 12th, and will be renting a car from Hertz at the train station. We have plans for Friday as hubby grew up in LA and we have lots of stops to make. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza that night.

On Saturday, we'll return the car first thing (within 24 hours to avoid an extra day charge) in Lomita and return to the hotel to get a little more rest and find breakfast.

Any suggestions about breakfast within walking distance?

Upon our return from our cruise, we are planning on taking Super Shuttle from the port to Amtrak station. Our train doesn't leave til after 6pm, so we're trying to make plans for the day. We were thinking of going to Universal Studios but DH thinks he'll be too tired. I've heard that the area around the train station is not so safe to just hang out around there.

Any suggestions on what to do? We'd like something fun, but safe.

We won't be lugging around our luggage as I've heard you can check it in hours before at the station. Just don't want anything too difficult to do to extend our vacation. I cannot imagine sitting around the train station for hours! We'll have to sit on the train for hours anyway.

Any comments are appreciated!

Breakfast at the Grinder, Nosh or San Pedro Cafe.

You could take the subway up to Universal Studios and walk around the shopping area for a few hours. The only thing to do around Union Station is Olvera Street. You could kill an hour or two there but after that there is nothing.

Hi Cuterlmt,

Adjacent to the Union Station is Olvera Street, which is a traditional Mexican themed area. A number of very nice places to eat, shop and enjoy a margarita. This is a very pleasant area, and you should have no concerns about your safety. There are a number of interesting places to visit that are within walking distance. You might look into visiting Little Tokyo or China Town, which are not too far from the train station. That's one of the reasons I enjoy using trains, when I can, since you are not isolated in an airport far from the city. Sounds like you are going to have a great trip.

Petert

The area around Union Station is not necessarily "unsafe" during the day...

It is just across the freeway from Downtown LA...adjacent to the aforementioned Olvera Street and Chinatown (Yeah, this is LA's Chinatown...as in the movie with Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway)...

Olvera Street is the location of the original Los Angeles--El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porcuncula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olvera_Street

http://www.olvera-street.com/

It contains some of the oldest buildings in Los Angeles...

Some good eats in the area:

I love Dim Sum...So I go here:

Ocean Seafood

750 North Hill Street

http://www.oceansf.com/awards.html

And, for a piece of sandwich history, this place is one of a kind...it's where the "French Dip Sandwich" was invented...Philippe's...

http://www.philippes.com/

...order at the counter, sawdust on the floor, dine on benches...They just celebrated their 100th Anniversary (Which, in LA terms, is ancient)...Virtually right across the street from Union Station...

Of course, you have lots of time to kill, so you can get on the Metro and head up to Hollywood ...You can take the Red Line up to Hollywood and Highland and check out Grauman's Chinese and the Walk of Fame or you can take it to Universal...just make sure you leave yourself enough time for the return trip to catch your train...

Have fun...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BalconyBumz viewpost.gif

Stay in Long Beach not San Pedro. ;)

Why? And what hotel would you recommend?

Eleanor, I think BalconyBumz was a little confused :confused:. If you're sailing Princess you'll be sailing from San Pedro, not Long Beach.

We recently stayed at the Doubletree Marina in San Pedro and had a nice stay. Another hotel often recommended is the Crown Plaza, San Pedro. I don't think you'll go wrong with either :) !

I can also recommend Super Shuttle, if you need transportation from the airport to either hotel.

Eleanor, I think BalconyBumz was a little confused :confused:. If you're sailing Princess you'll be sailing from San Pedro, not Long Beach.

We recently stayed at the Doubletree Marina in San Pedro and had a nice stay. Another hotel often recommended is the Crown Plaza, San Pedro. I don't think you'll go wrong with either :) !

I can also recommend Super Shuttle, if you need transportation from the airport to either hotel.

We do have reservations at Doubletree for 1 day before and a few days after cruise but was curious why he said to stay in Long Beach. We will also probably take the super shuttle from LAX since so many recommend it. We're still not definite if we should stay in San Pedro after the cruise because we still haven't made any definite plans of what to see and do but made the reservations anyway.

Thanks for your recommendations

We are also taking the train to Flagstaff after our cruise.

We plan to spend the day at the La Brea tar pits. A short bus ride from union station

Short is distance but expect to take at least 30 minutes to get there. Metro Rapid 728 (red Buses) will get you there the quickest or you can take the red line to Western Ave and then hop on the buses 20 or 21.

We do have reservations at Doubletree for 1 day before and a few days after cruise but was curious why he said to stay in Long Beach. We will also probably take the super shuttle from LAX since so many recommend it. We're still not definite if we should stay in San Pedro after the cruise because we still haven't made any definite plans of what to see and do but made the reservations anyway.

Thanks for your recommendations

Eleanor,

For the one day prior to the cruise, the Doubletree is a great choice...

A lot of folks stay in Long Beach because they're going on Carnival and that leaves from Long Beach...Other folks stay there because there is a little more to see and do on that side of the harbor (Aquarium, Queen Mary, etc.) and they have a little more time to kill...Also, there are MORE nice hotels there--but the two in San Pedro are plenty fine...and it is more convenient for the pier we will be sailing from...There is also a better selection and wider range of restaurants in Long Beach--but, you're only there for the one night so there are enough restaurants in San Pedro to keep you more than well fed...

As to after the cruise, my personal recommendation would be to NOT stay in San Pedro...most of the sites and activities of the LA area are a fair distance away and there are some far more convenient areas. My usual recommendation for all-around convenience, atmosphere, neighborhood, etc. is Santa Monica--specifically the area around the Third Street Promenade, Ocean Avenue and the Santa Monica Pier. There is a lot to see and do in that area, great night life, a fine selection of shops and restaurants...and it is fairly convenient to Beverly Hills, Malibu, the Getty, Westwood and UCLA, Venice Beach and other local attractions...It is also just a pleasant place to stay in and of itself...There are also other areas that work for other reasons...all depending on what you want to see and do and on how you are planning to get around...

I'll see you in about 45 days...

Take care...

BTW, we really ought to float the idea on the roll call if anyone from Cruise Critic wants to get together and meet...

Eleanor,

For the one day prior to the cruise, the Doubletree is a great choice...

A lot of folks stay in Long Beach because they're going on Carnival and that leaves from Long Beach...Other folks stay there because there is a little more to see and do on that side of the harbor (Aquarium, Queen Mary, etc.) and they have a little more time to kill...Also, there are MORE nice hotels there--but the two in San Pedro are plenty fine...and it is more convenient for the pier we will be sailing from...There is also a better selection and wider range of restaurants in Long Beach--but, you're only there for the one night so there are enough restaurants in San Pedro to keep you more than well fed...

As to after the cruise, my personal recommendation would be to NOT stay in San Pedro...most of the sites and activities of the LA area are a fair distance away and there are some far more convenient areas. My usual recommendation for all-around convenience, atmosphere, neighborhood, etc. is Santa Monica--specifically the area around the Third Street Promenade, Ocean Avenue and the Santa Monica Pier. There is a lot to see and do in that area, great night life, a fine selection of shops and restaurants...and it is fairly convenient to Beverly Hills, Malibu, the Getty, Westwood and UCLA, Venice Beach and other local attractions...It is also just a pleasant place to stay in and of itself...There are also other areas that work for other reasons...all depending on what you want to see and do and on how you are planning to get around...

I'll see you in about 45 days...

Take care...

BTW, we really ought to float the idea on the roll call if anyone from Cruise Critic wants to get together and meet...

Hi Steve, Thanks again for your wonderful ideas. Have to get together with our friends who are going with us to see what we want to do after the cruise. There are so many choices. Both couples have been having medical problems and we hope they are all recovered in time for the cruise. Will go on our roll call to try to organize a meet & greet if you haven't done so already. The 45 days can't go by soon enough:)

Wow--I remember this place! Once, back in the '80s we were taking the train down to see my dad in Newport Beach and he told us to get off at Union Station this time. We usually change trains to get closer to where they live. When we arrived, he told us he wanted to take us over to this popular, landmark eatery. So we walked over from the station. I wouldn't even had known the name until I saw your post here. I immediately recognized the sawdust on the floor and the long, family-style tables. I don't even remember the food! It was mostly the "ambiance" that sticks out in my mind. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Maybe one of these days I'll get to experience it again.

And, for a piece of sandwich history, this place is one of a kind...it's where the "French Dip Sandwich" was invented...Philippe's...

http://www.philippes.com/

...order at the counter, sawdust on the floor, dine on benches...They just celebrated their 100th Anniversary (Which, in LA terms, is ancient)...Virtually right across the street from Union Station...

If you are going to Amtrak in Orange County you could go to the beach: Seal Beach, which is quaint and has a wooden pier. It's a great place to walk and has restaurants like Walt's Wharf. Or there is Newport Beach and Harbor. Or if you like antiques, there is Orange which is really close to the Amtrak Station. Could you rent a car through Enterprise and turn it in at the Amtrak station or nearby?

Archived