Sports Bar and Satellite TV

vtgirl

My husband and I are looking forward to our cruise on the Explorer over Thanksgiving, but he is an NFL junkie.

I see that there is a sports bar, but does it receive satellite feeds for sports?

Our last cruise was during March Madness and the sports bar on Norwegian did not have anything.

Thanks for the help!

I do believe the sports bar on Explorer does have some game feeds...can't be 100%, but I do remember cruising during football season last year and the cheers/jeers from that direction.

Our Feb cruise leaves the night of the Superbowl and I've been assured by many that they do show this on the ship.

Enjoy - Explorer is a beautiful ship! That is the current photo in my signature of the RP decked out for the holidays last year.

Yes they do have satellite feeds ESPN 2 in the sports bar and also in the hole in 1 bar on the 14th floor; he should not have a problem viewing some games. We were able to watch the World Series games (Phillies).

What they show depends a lot on where you are. On our Med cruise on Splendour, for example, they showed a lot of football [you may know it as S*****]. Last June we were on Monarch out of LA. They showed the Euro 2008 tournament live in the mornings -- that was through ESPN. I think they also try to get special permission to show special events, even if it is not part of the normal feed. The June Monarch cruise was during the NBA finals. There was obviously a lot of interest because the cruise was heavily populated by folks from LA. They broadcast the game on a big projection screen in Boleros. My son and I sat in the very small group of Boston fans. I think the NBA finals were on Fox or something other than the ESPN feed that you normally get in your cabin.

We were also on Monarch in October. The MLB playoffs were going on and we saw some of that, we also saw some Throwball [gridiron or American Football]. One day in the Schooner Bar they even had a Presidential Debate [YUK!!!].

Bottom line, they will show something. It looks like your cruise is Eastern Caribbean, sailing from Bayonne. So I expect US sports will be featured. I will bet you get NFL games on Thanksgiving since that is the biggest thing happening that day.

That's true, they will try to show what folks want to watch.

But if there is something special coming up, try asking as much in advance as possible. Sometimes they have to make special arrangements, it is not necessarily just a matter of the bar tender changing the channel.

Yes they do....we watced the Pats smoke the Jets in the playoffs 2 years ago....

The sports bar is in the promenade....

We had a blast. Got sandwiches from the coffee place down the end of the promenade, grabs some appy's from the windjammer.....had a nice tailgate party going on. Claim your seat early!

Just called him to let him know that he should be able to see some of the games. He loves cruises, but he also loves his Directv NFL package. Your responses have served as a nice compromise.

Will be sure to drink one for y'all.

Peace.

Archived