Walk Out Snorkeling St. Maarten, Tortola

matondo

My daughter and I will be taking a snorkel tour in Grand Turk but after that we would prefer just to snorkel from the beaches we will be visiting. Any suggestions? We only have two sets of snorkel gear but our total group will be 5 including 2 grandparents so the clothing optional beaches really won't work for us.:o

When we (DH, sister, and I) went to Tortola we took a ferry over to Virgin Gorda to go to The Baths. We were able to explore the rock formations and then walk to the beach on the other side of the formations. We brought 2 sets of snorkel gear and had fun exploring around the boulders in the water. We booked this through the ship due to our limited amount of time in port, but you can do this on your own.

This excursion was a last minute decision for us. We were scheduled for a 2 tank dive, but the conditions were extremely rough and the dive was canceled. The Baths on Virgin Gorda were incredible and the three of us had an awesome outing.

It sounds wonderful. I have considered going over on our own. We are in Tortola from 12-9 which seems odd to me as I know of very little that goes on after dark but at least we would not have to worry about missing the ship. Could you walk to the beach from where the ferry dropped you?

In Tortola, Brewers Bay is known as a good snorkeling spot. We went there last March but conditions that day were so bad it wasn't worth even attempting to snorkel. Friends who took a private boating excursion to Jost Van Dyke and some snorkeling spots (Norman Island maybe?) by a company called Patouche had a great time.

It sounds wonderful. I have considered going over on our own. We are in Tortola from 12-9 which seems odd to me as I know of very little that goes on after dark but at least we would not have to worry about missing the ship. Could you walk to the beach from where the ferry dropped you?

You would need to take a taxi from the ferry to the Baths. Since you are in Tortola for nine hours you should be fine on your own. Just check the ferry schedule before you go.

When you get off the ship in tortula ask at the visitor booth right near the ship. You can walk to the pier & they will point the way, there are 2 ferrys, smiths & speedys, speedys is prettier, but choose based on shedule both are reliable. It is about $35 for the ferry and the taxi to the baths together ( a package- ask for it) maybe a dollar ot 2 more, and we just returned from there a few days ago.then a $3 entry fee to the baths- well worth the investment! coral is great as are fish!

St marteen- you can take a taxi to Pinel Island $9 per person 2 or more pax, then a ferry to the island $7 per person ( only a few minute ride) it is a beautiful island with a bar, restaurant lounge chairs, small shops & snorkeling right off the beach, water is calmer here as the snorkeling is on the inside of the island not the ocean side- lots of sea fans, not so muc coral, reasonable amount of fish

Enjoy, hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in Tortola on November 4, 2008. The baths were beautiful. When you get dropped off by the ferry at Virgina Gorda you then have to take a taxi to the baths. It was about a 10 minute ride. We booked our tour through the cruise ship so I don't know the cost of the taxi. When you are at the baths, make sure you take the trail through the rocks to devils bay. The beach over there is beautiful and the snorkeling was great. Lots of fish and coral all growing out of the boulders. When you get to devils bay beach, enter the water right there and go around the boulders to your right. It wasn't very crowded and lots to see. I would definitely recommend the baths to everyone. We plan on going back next year.

As for St. Martin, we were there on November 3, 2008. We went to Oyster Bay. The taxi was $15 both ways for 2 of us. We rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $15. Our taxi driver was great and said it was the best off beach snorkeling in St. Martin. We have been to St. Martin before and it is the best we have seen yet. You are right on the dividing line, but my understanding is that you had to wear cloths and we didn't see anyone doing otherwise. Right off the beach there was a reef. It was a large area to snorkel in. The beach was not crowded. Although the snorkeling was not the greatest I have seen, it was nice and still better then some snorkeling excursions I have been on. The day we were there it was a bit wavy, but it wasn't really a big problem. I loved the snorkeling, the taxi ride wasn't long, the beach wasn't crowded and there were no pushy vendors. There is the Oyster Bay hotel right down the beach and they have bathrooms that were nice and clean that they allowed people from the beach to use. It was a very enjoyable day.

Archived