Restaurants on Balmoral

timetravellers

we were in Spey the one across from Avon. You are at the top of the ship, there are huge windows ,so stunning views,except at sea at night when you obviously do not see a lot !!! they are not that big and we loved eating there.never even went in the main one.eating there is one of the main reasons we want to go on Balmoral in the future

There are 3 restuarants on Balmoral and a buffet.

Does anyone know how these restaurants are allocated to passengers. We have been given a table in Avon. Is this good, bad or does it not matter?

Gail

I wondered the same thing a little while ago, so did a little research. What it seems to boil down to is that two extra restaurants were added when the ship was stretched, and these are the Spey and Avon. Allegedly (caveat - all this information comes from forums) initially passengers in the suites were allocated to these rooms, as they on the upper decks. I've no idea if this still applies, but the general view seems to be that they are more intimate. The food/dress code is apparently the same as the main restaurant.

Mary

We were in a cabin on lido deck (8), I had done my research on the ship before booking the cruise so when booking I requested a table in Avon, that was full up, so was offered Spey. Either would have done me, just appealed to us more, plus we managed to get a table for 2. They are basically the same. I had heard they were added as part of the stretching. I am not sure if the main dining room would have been decorated up for the carribean night. These were not, but the waiters had really really colourful shirts on.

I wondered the same thing a little while ago, so did a little research. What it seems to boil down to is that two extra restaurants were added when the ship was stretched, and these are the Spey and Avon. Allegedly (caveat - all this information comes from forums) initially passengers in the suites were allocated to these rooms, as they on the upper decks. I've no idea if this still applies, but the general view seems to be that they are more intimate. The food/dress code is apparently the same as the main restaurant.

Mary

We are booked into an inside cabin and reserved in the Avon so that restuarant is not (or no longer) exclusive to Suite passengers.

Gail

• 2 weeks later...
Restaurants on all our cruise ships are allocated upon request at time of booking and is on a first come first served basis (this excludes late saver deals).

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

Thanks. Would you care to tell the travel agents who do your bookings? Mine didn't have a clue, hence my internet forum research, by definition not always reliable:(.

Mary

In response to your question concerning Liverpool departures after Black Prince's retirement. We hope to operate cruises from Liverpool in subsequent years, dependent upon reaching agreement with local authorities as to berthing arrangements.

• 2 weeks later...

Did 2 back to back cruises earlier this year, the second in a suite. I at once requested to be moved to either Spey or Avon Restaurants and was told it was for "married couples". Not a smart thing to say to one half of a gay couple, but with some firm insistence, we were put at a table for six with two totally charming couples in the Avon Restaurant.

I am now thinking of booking a leg of the world cruise from Dover to Singapore in a couple of months. The offer Fred Olsen have come up with is very acceptable. But in order to finalise the booking I have requested that they guarantee second sitting in either of the two smaller restaurants. My travel agent has already thrown up her hands in horror. We shall see.

Restaurants on all our cruise ships are allocated upon request at time of booking and is on a first come first served basis (this excludes late saver deals).

Not for me it isn't. Just booked a guaranteed cabin deal and told that sitting and restaurant will be allocated along with the cabin.

Normally you are allocated a guaranteed sitting in the restaurant of your choice at the time of booking. However, if you are willing to be allocated a cabin at the last moment, presumably at a reduced price, you may have to accept pot luck. You can't have rock bottom prices and all the other benefits. In addition, you will not get the Oceans Club discounts.

I booked a table nearly a year ago on a sector of the Balmoral worls cruise in 2009 and this has been confirmed.

Normally you are allocated a guaranteed sitting in the restaurant of your choice at the time of booking. However, if you are willing to be allocated a cabin at the last moment, presumably at a reduced price, you may have to accept pot luck. You can't have rock bottom prices and all the other benefits. In addition, you will not get the Oceans Club discounts.

I booked a table nearly a year ago on a sector of the Balmoral worls cruise in 2009 and this has been confirmed.

I've managed to get a guaranteed place in Spey, at the sitting time we wanted, despite booking a guarantee at what you describe as rock bottom prices. As I saved about £2,000 I shall lose no sleep over the Oceans Club discounts.

As an aside, the only time I've ever been upgraded to the Grills on Cunard was when I booked at 'rock bottom prices' at the last minute.

The booking I refer to is not October 2009....not exactly last minute.....and although a good price, hardly rock bottom.

Archived