Please your opinion

countryflower

Do you think if possible to put in my bags an air therapy machine( compact one) and have any problems in the airport for this? Im afraid to need it in the cruise and not have it.

Are you referring to a CPAP machine? My husband uses one and has had zero problems at airports. He always packs it in his carry-on. These machines have become very common, and the TSA agents are familiar with them.

HTH,

Ellen

If it's a CPAP, definitely put it in your carry-on. At most airports TSA now requires you to take it out of the carry-on for the x-ray as you would a laptop computer, but they handle hundreds of them per day.

If you bring it in its own carry-on bag as a medical appliance it's exempt from the limit on 2 pieces of cabin baggage - i.e. on domestic airlines you can take one carry-on bag (say a 22" roller) plus one "personal item" (ladies' handbag, computer case etc.) AND a medical appliance.

DON'T forget to bring a nice long, medium-duty extension cord. Most ships have very limited electrical outlets in the cabins.

If you bring it in its own carry-on bag as a medical appliance it's exempt from the limit on 2 pieces of cabin baggage - i.e. on domestic airlines you can take one carry-on bag (say a 22" roller) plus one "personal item" (ladies' handbag, computer case etc.) AND a medical appliance.

This may be true for some US domestic flights, but I would seriously question it for anything internationally. There have been prior reports of CPAP machines NOT being allowed as an extra piece of cabin baggage. I would suggest a full search for CPAP in this forum for more reporting.

And if someone comes back to say...well, you can fly out of the USA with it: that does not take into consideration the regulations for your return. To wit, the former restrictions on cabin baggage at LHR.

This may be true for some US domestic flights, but I would seriously question it for anything internationally. There have been prior reports of CPAP machines NOT being allowed as an extra piece of cabin baggage. I would suggest a full search for CPAP in this forum for more reporting.

And if someone comes back to say...well, you can fly out of the USA with it: that does not take into consideration the regulations for your return. To wit, the former restrictions on cabin baggage at LHR.

Fair enough. I believe they're now exempt from cabin baggage limits pretty much throughout the EU (by regulation IIRC) as well as North America. Still, trust but verify is always good advice.

When I flew LAX to Vancouver, Air Canada told me point blank - that was my carry-on if I chose to take it in its own case. I could put it in with my big carry-on, or use it as my only one but they had no special allowance for it. Remember the US based airlines that allow it as an extra item are following the ADA - and that first A stands for Americans. The rest of the world doesn't have to comply with our laws.

Archived