Off ship in Tampa on a Sunday with 3:30 p.m. flight

maureenk

Any suggestions on what to do in Tampa on a Sunday until 1:30 or 2:00? It's not a whole lot of time. Anyone know what time last call is off the Carnival Legend? We'll have luggage also. Not really considering the aquarium as there are a few in our group who aren't interest enough in going to pay the relatively hefty admission fee. Any hotels that will let you pay a day use fee? Any other ideas? Maybe we actually don't have enough time other than getting off the ship at last call and then going to the airport? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas......Maureen

Our flight doesn't leave til 3:00pm, so we're sort of in the same situation. I think we could get to the airport early, check in our bags and then take a shuttle to a nearby hotel like the Embassy Suites and then walk to the mall nearby. It's easy to waste time in a mall! We could have some lunch, then shuttle back to the airport. I'l let ya know if this plan works out!;)

Hi, we're on the legend in jan. too, with flight not leaving on sunday till7pm. We thought we'd check our luggage at the cruise terminal (I think I read somewhere that they do this? anyone know the cost?) and then hang out around channelside, maybe catch the trolley, explore yborr city??? Thoughts on this anybody? we're two families with young teens. Thanks!

Anxiously awaiting more replies...! I may have the same dilemma, altho' Continental has changed my flight to 1150 AM, which may be a tad 'iffy'...:eek: If I cancel that, I'll be on the 659 PM flight...

I would LOVE to keep the 1150 AM, but not sure how customs will be in June 2009... Ship should arrive on time, but the anxiety of wondering if I'd make the flight could be quite stressful..:(

Any ideas, or suggestions...??:p

I wouldn't worry about a 12:00 flight. You will have plenty of time. We prefer to be first off the ship with the carry your bags program. We are usually at the airport by 8:30. Also, do yourself a favor and look inside at the ticket counter rather than just going ahead and paying to use the skycap. It's usually not a big wait at that early hour. We only are taking the later flight because it was significantly less expensive, esp when multiplied by 4 people. Good luck!!!! - Maureen

I wouldn't worry about a 12:00 flight. You will have plenty of time. We prefer to be first off the ship with the carry your bags program. We are usually at the airport by 8:30.
I'm leaning toward 'accepting' the change... Continental may actually move the flight back, once they realize there may be numerous ship passengers booking that same flight..:)

Also, do yourself a favor and look inside at the ticket counter rather than just going ahead and paying to use the skycap. It's usually not a big wait at that early hour.
I will certainly keep that in mind... I never really tho't to look, but any savings in this economy is truly welcome!!:p

We only are taking the later flight because it was significantly less expensive, esp when multiplied by 4 people. Good luck!!!! - Maureen
When I booked (shortly after the flights were released), most of the options were the same price.. I try to pick what I feel is the most 'relaxed' for myself and the 'family'..:D Thanks for the help...

For those with the early afternoon flights (3 or so), there are things to do in the immediate area of the port.

*The aquarium is nice; they will check your luggage with the price of admission.

*Adjacent to the aquarium is the SS American Victory, a WW2 Merchant Ship that has been converted into a mariners museum.

*The aquarium also runs a dolphin watching/sightseeing cruise in the Bay (not sure of the schedule or if it would work - I think it doesn't go out until early afternoon on some days).

*If you don't want to do the aquarium, there is a place right next to Carnival's exit that will store your luggage for a fee (I don't recall how much, but it's relatively inexpensive - a few bucks I think).

*There are a number of things to do in the Channelside complex - some good restaurants, an upscale bowling alley, a movie theatre, coffee shop, etc. At times they have music in the courtyard, though not likely in the morning when you're returning.

*You can hop the trolley right in front of Channelside & take it to Ybor City. Lots of shops & restaurants there (it's an older, historic district that is now a sort of "mini-version" of the French Quarter/Bourbon ST in New Orleans. There are frequently latino festivals in the park that is right beside the last trolley stop.

Archived