Tipping Bartenders

ParrotHeadFL

So many questions with just a couple of days to go before the cruise!!!

I notice from Carnival's "Welcome Aboard" packet that 15% is automatically added to your Sail & Sign account when you purchase beverages. Am I correct in assuming that this is the tip, and thus no additional tipping is necessary unless I'm just blown away by the service?

Guest Time2gocruzn

Umm, I dunno about you all, but if I get a weak drink, I say something, and it is always fixed :) at no charge. Hey, I figure, I'm gonna get what I pay for, LOL;) !

And ask your bartender where they will be at different times of they day. The best bartender I had on the Elation started the day at the pool, moved into one lounge for evening and finished the night in the Romeo & Juliet. By the third day whichever one she was at, if she saw me coming, my drink was waiting for me and definitely not too weak;) I did give her an extra tip at the end of the week.

It is true that Carnival adds the gratuity to all drinks purchaced onboard.

This is my personal philosophy:

If I walked up to the bar and waited patiently to get drinks as the bartender was busy filling softdrinks for the drink-card kids, I leave no extra.

If I am sunning myself on a pool deck or enjoying a show in the lounge being served in my seat, I DO tip extra.

We brought a pack to two dollar bills on our cruise. The same folks on the sun decks, were the same ones waiting on us in the show lounge. We were amazed how fast they remembered us. By the second day, they were calling us by name and filling our orders faster than folks sitting next to us. What a small price. It was my vacation, I like to be pampered. The extra $30 in tips over the entire week was worth every penny.

As a post script, I am a beer drinker. I quickly learned (from a waiter,) that buying a "bucket of beer" versus an equal number of singles is far less expensive. It's like getting a free beer and a half. I think the single was $4.75. The bucket of five was about $13.

Our pool waiters seemed to follow us around :D They are always around and they are WORKING hard! They wear those horrible shirts, always sweating, running around, making drinks... I don't mind giving a little extra... I tend to give less a tip at the bar... 15% is fine for them, unless they blow me away... I give a little extra up front... makes the service better and generally your drinks will stay full (and every so often, you might get a freebie :D )

Archived