Destiny - Cayman Islands?

boozecruise78

Hi All,

I'll be on Destiny Nov. 22 - I know the Cayman Islands got pounded this week from the hurricane...any chance the ship won't be stopping there?

Also any updates from Destiny on the last few cruises would be great...and tips for Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman would be nice too.

Looking to do the falls in Jamaica and the snorkeling in Cayman!

Hi All,

I'll be on Destiny Nov. 22 - I know the Cayman Islands got pounded this week from the hurricane...any chance the ship won't be stopping there?

Also any updates from Destiny on the last few cruises would be great...and tips for Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman would be nice too.

We were on the Destiny in October and we loved her! I went on the Carnival website last night to see if there were any "reroutes" due to the Hurricane but I didn't see any.

We did Grand Cayman and Jamaica a few years ago......we've did snorkeling and Sting Ray City......LOVED IT, and we also did the falls and Margaritaville in Jamaica...LOVED IT. I think you've made great choices. Have a great time.

Hi All,

i think there is a chance you may not be stopping there... as i understand, it's currently a category 3 hurricane, and should remain so while over the island. the next 12-18 hours should really reveal what the damage will be. however, one positive note, as the storm moves east toward the eastern caribbean ports, i've noticed some ships have diverted to grand cayman for next tuesday-wednesday... not to say that won't change again...

i started talking about the ports & excursions on the third page of my review, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=857024&page=3

there's the maps / shopping guides, pictures of dunns river falls and the sky explorer in jamaica, and stingray / snorkeling in grand cayman - plus the full carnival shore excursion price list. i absolutely loved both excursions we took, and would highly recommend them!

destiny's in fine shape, and i would recommend her to others or sail again myself in a heartbeat.

I was there last summer and noticed that it is pretty shallow. What would happen to the stingrays in the event of a hurricane?

i wondered about what they'd do too... i'd bet that as the storm approaches, they seek out deeper water. most of the sandbar is 4-5 feet, but remember that just past the barrier reef of the north sound there is a 6000' drop... i also saw them bury themselves in the sand after eating - i bet they'll do that too, once they get to the deeper water.

Does Carnival have a place on their website that updates itineraries dependent on weather? If so can someone tell me where or send a link!

Thanks

I believe the ship captain has the final say on any itinerary changes, and many times it can be "last minute", based on the local situation, thus Carnival doesn't post such on the website.

Many times the people you speak to on the Carnival 800 number are the last to know of such changes...

Cayman Brac and Little Cayman took the pounding from Paloma. Not much damage in Grand Cayman, the airport was open the next morning.

As far as the Stingrays, Hurricane Ivan made a direct hit on GC in 2004 with massive damage. Yet, a day or two later, the stingrays were back at their normal spot waiting for the visitors. Ah, nature.

Hi All,

My friend in Georgetown said that the port and Grand Cayman is ok but one of the other outer islands took a pretty bad beating. Unless the water is rough and the weather sucks at the time you stop, you should be ok.

Archived