Just off the Crown 11/2

kayguz

Great cruise. I will post a review later, but I had a few questions for other pax on this trip. On the final night, there were 2 "emergency" calls over the main paging system. (I say this as we could hardly hear any announcements in our room, but this was LOUD.) The first one was around 1:30 a.m. and, if I remember correctly as I was sound asleep, "Crew assessment, blah-blah....". Obviously an emergency as it was over the main PA in middle of the night. Then a few minutes later a "crew stand down" directive came over. If anyone knows what this means, please let me know!

Then about about 2:30 a.m., a code "ALPHA" for Caribe 309 happened. I think that is the code blue if I remember correctly. This morning they were paging a passenger from that cabin. While I was trying to go to sleep, I kept worrying about the code alpha passenger and family. If anyone has an update, please let us know. I hope tragedy did not strike during a family's vacation.

Thanks

WOW i slept through all that.

I think the OP was on the cruise after ours - I sailed with you on the 10/26 sailing and I would definitely have heard something like that since I am a very light sleeper.

OP - am I correct??? :confused::confused:

Stand Down means to turn over responsibility to another crewman and go off duty for a period of time or to take or hold a particular course at sea.

There are a few meanings for the phrase "stand down".

I would think since it was broadcast on the overhead throughout the ship that the meaning was "To end a state of readiness or alert"

Jay

Hi...I just got back from the 11/02 sailing of the Crown and heard these announcements too. I am such a light sleeper the last night of the cruise, I guess I am afraid to miss my wake-up call.

Anyway, we were told in the morning that a passenger had a medical emergency and died on the last night of the cruise. How terrible. :(

The first emergency I was told was a smoke detector going off in a cabin and an "assessment team" was dispatched to investigate the situation. A few minutes later you heard the "stand down" announcement. Apparently this emergency had a happier ending.

I will be writing a review after I get this laundry and luggage organized. It was a wonderful cruise!

I'm so sad to hear that a passenger passed that night. I hope they had some wonderful memories of their last week together..... I worried that it was bad when they were paging the lady of that cabin in the morning-- with sort of a sad tone to the page (not the perky or insistent tone that we'd heard all week...)

THanks for the other info, too. That makes perfect sense-- glad you were able to ask someone that would tell you the info! I didn't want to ask our steward as I didn't want him to be in an awkward position of not being able to tell us or whatever.

Kay

Archived