Walk from one pier to the next?

Crystynatheone

Can anyone tell me if it is reasonable to walk from the Puerta Maya Pier to the International Pier? How long would it take? Is it very far? Reserved car for the day near International Pier, didn't realize we would probably be coming in at different pier, so don't want to waste $$ on cab ride if it is walkable...

Puerta Maya and International piers are close enough for a (longish) walk. They are adjacent to one another, but Puerta Maya includes quite a stroll through first the duty-free shops at the end of the pier, and then through the outdoor shopping area just off the pier.

The Punta Langosta pier, on the other hand, is several miles away downtown.

NCL usually pulls in at Punta Langosta (the downtown pier) not at TMM (International pier). If you do dock at TMM, then it is only a one block walk down a sidewalk to the Alamo or Executive rental office. But if you are Punta Langosta, then you will have to take a cab to P. Maya which is approx. 3 miles away - not walkable.

NCL usually pulls in at Punta Langosta (the downtown pier) not at TMM (International pier). If you do dock at TMM, then it is only a one block walk down a sidewalk to the Alamo or Executive rental office. But if you are Punta Langosta, then you will have to take a cab to P. Maya which is approx. 3 miles away - not walkable.
Gee, when I was a kid we walked farther than that in 3 ft of snow uphill both ways with the wind in our faces to school every day <bare-foot>.

Actually, it is a very enjoyable one way walk -- with sidewalks, beautiful views of ships, water and shore most of the way... If you bring your own snorkle equipment (and a waterproof bag for valuables), there are multiple places you could use for free. My favorite price. There are numerous dive shops, etc along the way to rent equipment, etc. As well as, shops, restaurants, a park or two and a small lighthouse. The walk was a bit much round trip for this age and weight challenged couple. But far from NOT doable. NO hills and NO snow/wind and a comfortable pair of walking shoes made it quite enjoyable,although I would take a taxi back, if I were to do it again--there is absolutely NO shortage of them. The pouring rain at the end of our trek helped to rinse out our sweat soaked t-shirts. Umbrellas are highly over-rated and for wimps. ALSO, since everyone 'knows' this is NOT walkable, there are NO crowds, lines, & few familiar faces from the ship. A Big plus in my book. Go for it and if you don't like it, flag down one of the many empty cabs you'll see. In fact, there were about a half mile of taxis waiting their turn to get to the pier. I suspect you could wheel & deal with the guys at the end of the line for a lower rate, than the guys first in line...

Not do-able was a bad choice of words on my part. I was thinking what the weather is like most of the time...very hot and humid. Not exactly good weather to stroll by. Except now, it is way too cold for me. Anyway, most cruisers seem to be on a time crunch and the time it would take for most may seem to be a waste for them.

Not do-able was a bad choice of words on my part. I was thinking what the weather is like most of the time...very hot and humid. Not exactly good weather to stroll by.
Better than the daily blizzards when I was growing up.;)

Actually, since we just got back from doing this and aren't the poster children for physical fitness, I couldn't resist just a little tongue in cheek. Yes it was fairly HOT, but we did find some shade along the way and a nice park with benches. Could have stopped at a number of places for a cold drink, but we rehydrated when we got back to the ship for free... Our total Cozumel expenditures came to a buck for an hour of internet usage and five bucks for a t-shirt for the wife <ran out of clothes on back to back cruise>. Hopefully, we didn't over stimulate their economy.:cool:

Our 1st Norte of the year! I´m loving it...means the end of hurricane season, and humid days. Bring on the Northers...time to build my backyard hockey rink! snow.gif

As far as your cheery weather outlook is concerned...where is my blanket, mittens and ski parka...I AM FREEZING!!!! I have wimp written all over me, I know. I have thin tropical blood now - if the temp drops below 80, I shiver. But hey, if you are going to serve hot chocolate in your backyard, I could suffer through some hockey watching.

I'm with Tom! The weather is cool by Cozumel standards, lovely for anyone coming from up north. I suffer through the summer months just waiting for the six month stretch of perfect temperature that has just begun.

Don't let Caro's love of 100 degree weather scare you into thinking it's actually COLD here. All my windows are open and there's a lovely breeze!

Welcome to all, in advance!

Hope I didn't paint visions of snowmen in Cozumel with my whining about the "freezing" temperatures here. I have to admit, I am notorious for loving hot weather...the hotter the better. I must have been an iguana in a former life or something. Although, I was not the only one in jeans and a long sleeved shirt this morning! I just don't like it when the temp drops below 80. Shivers!

Back to your original question. If you dock at Puerta Maya pier, I would not take a taxi to the Internation pier unless you have some kind of disability. Once you get to the road at the end of the pier, it is only a 10-15 min walk. I will tell you that we brought a suitcase w/wheels along just in case we had too many parcels to carry on the way back.

If by some chance you have to dock at the downtown pier, for the love of God do not try and walk to the other peirs. In March, I asked how long of a walk it might be, a local told me it was about a twenty minute walk. I took off on the treck from the International pier to the downtown area, where I thought I might get a taste of local shopping (I hate the "for tourists only" shops at the piers). After about forty five minutes I decided I would like to ride the rest of the way. I tried to flag down taxis, vans and horsedrawn carriages, all to no avail. I finally made it downtown, I stopped off at a local grocery store which was one of the highlights of my trip. It was very air conditioned, and I got to see what the locals had to chose from for their shopping. I also checked out the prices since I'm always planning on running away to the tropics for good some day. Anyway, I made it downtown and found even more tourist only type shops, with prices about double those at the international pier, I guess higher priced cruiselines dock downtown. To make a long story not quite as long, just take my advice. Don Not Walk from downtown to other piers, or vica versa. There is no appreciable scenery, other than a lighthouse, and the shoreline is unremarkable.

Shawn

Jubiee March 2003

Holiday MArch 2004

Ecstacy next week!!!!!!

Elation booked April 3, 2005

Archived