NCL Jade vs. RCCL Brilliance of the Seas

shankiko

We are looking to go on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise in Mar 09. We have definitely crossed off the Costa Line (lots of negative reviews). We really like the itinerary of the Costa Concordia but the reviews just put us off so...NCL and RCCL have similar ports but we aren't too sure about the "freestyle dining" on NCL. We will be on RCCL FOS in 3 weeks so we can check that out. Anyway what I am asking is for any info you can give us. Which would you choose and why?

Shankiko

Have sailed on Brilliance of the Seas twice and once on Pearl, the sister ship of Jade. Brilliance is one of my favorite ships. I think I would choose it over Jade. That said, my hubby did like the Anytime Dining feature. For me, that doesn't make so much difference.

Hubby also thought NCL's food was better than what we had on Brilliance last January on an eleven-night cruise. He likes the Jade's (Pearl's) buffet design, layout and food selections better than the design and food selections on Brilliance. Again, I have no preference of one over the other.

I think Brilliance is the more elegant ship, but that is a matter of tase. Jade is the newer ship of these two, if that matters.

Given nearly equal itineraries, I guess I personally would lean toward Brilliance, but Hubby might lean toward Jade. It is a tough choice. Jade might come out a little cheaper given comparable cabin classes.

I think you'll have a great time no matter which of the two ships you choose.

Have never sailed NCL but have been on the Brilliance a couple of times and the Jewel (sister ship) a couple of times. Booked for Med. cruise from Barcelona on the Brilliance next August. The Brilliance is a beautiful ship with lots of glass so it seems like you can see the water from almost anywhere on the ship even the elevators! One of the nicest features is the outside eating area of the Windjammer cafe. Photos of the Brilliance and Jewel in the link below.

Kathy:)

Thanks all. I think we have settled on the Jade. $300 cheaper than Brilliance! More money for excursions and trinkets!! Now I just have to get rid of this bronchitis before my Dec.7th cruise on the Freedom of the Seas!!

Shankiko

Archived