2 yr old etiquette?

Jenn W

Going on Valor in March and have a few decisions to make and thought I could get some advice. We are possibly going with my parents as well as our family (me, hubby and one 2 year old.) I had planned on getting a big table to meet/chat with people late seating so that I could drop our daughter off with the kids club and plan on feeding her at the buffet first. My first question... if she needs to go to sleep while we are at dinner, where would they put her? So they have cribs/pack and plays?

Also, if we decided to have early dinner 6:15 could she sit with us and eat part of dinner with us and then transfer to the kids club, it looks like it opens at 7pm. Has anyone done that?

If we want to use the kids club with her, just so we can use some toys, etc, are we allowed to go in, I mean just one of us at a time or not? I would like to have a place to play with her on a seaday since we can't go in the pool, etc.

Any input?

Jennifer

For the younger kids, Carnival provides a dinner program where they will feed the kids. That runs from 6 to 7 but does not run on the very first and last night of the cruise. Group babysitting starts at 10pm and goes until 3. You will receive a beeper if there's any problem with your child you will be called to the play area. They usually provide sleep mats for the non-infant kids to sleep on.

From my past experience with Carnival, my kids always started in the dining room, early seating, then took off as soon as the program opened.

have fun, even a 2 yr old will. the kids club on Carnival is good... they have good facilities...

I would like to have a place to play with her on a seaday since we can't go in the pool, etc.

Ok. I'm confused. Why isn't the pool availabe at days at sea? What else are you supposed to do? I don't remember not being able to go in the pool on sea days??? Thanks. :confused:

Tricia

Ok. I'm confused. Why isn't the pool availabe at days at sea? What else are you supposed to do? I don't remember not being able to go in the pool on sea days??? Thanks. :confused:

Tricia

Hi Tricia,

The pool is available, but un-potty trained kids are not supposed to swim in the pools.

Shellie

Hi Jennifer. We've cruised many times with our son (starting at 11 months old), so I'm happy to offer advice and share our experiences. As to your specific questions:

I had planned on getting a big table to meet/chat with people late seating so that I could drop our daughter off with the kids club and plan on feeding her at the buffet first. My first question... if she needs to go to sleep while we are at dinner, where would they put her? So they have cribs/pack and plays?

They will have a quiet area where she can rest, but if she gets overly tired and starts to cry or complain, they will call you. They also don't change diapers, so they will call you for that, too. I only mention this as you will very likely have at least one dinner interrupted to go up to the kids room to take care of her needs. I'd suggest the early dinner for this reason.

Also, if we decided to have early dinner 6:15 could she sit with us and eat part of dinner with us and then transfer to the kids club, it looks like it opens at 7pm.

Absolutely. Also, just because it opens at 7 doesn't mean she has to be there promptly at 7. But many parents do exactly what you have described. One parent can bring her up and then rejoin the other parent in the dining room. Let the waiter know at the beginning of dinner the first night, so that he or she can bring your daughter's meal out early.

If we want to use the kids club with her, just so we can use some toys, etc, are we allowed to go in, I mean just one of us at a time or not?

On our Carnival cruise, the answer was no. I think for liability reasons they don't want other parents in there. Don't know if things have changed since then.

Thanks for the responses, it really helps!

Is the dinner that the kids program has from 6-7 in the dining room or in the kids play room? Has anyone done that with a 2 year old? What did you think?

I will have to check and see what time early dinner is. We were somewhat thinking of trying to stay on West coast time so when our dinner was at 8 it would feel like 5pm! We have been really torn about dinner times, etc. I want it to be good for her which will make it happy for us!

I guess I will pack some toys for her to use since we can't go in the room with her. Is there other areas kid friendly that you can stay with your child and use?

I think the mat to sleep in will work out fine. She is used to a pack and play, but if tired normally will sleep almost anywhere.

Jenn

• 2 weeks later...

this is a SLOW 5 course dinner. mine were nuts and someone had to leave with them (twins) EVERY night. do yourself and your child a favor and feed her early, drop her at kids club and enjoy a leisurely meal with adults. don't get me wrong, I adore my kids---but you are on a cruise, and the fancy 5 course dinner is part of it. a 2 yr old is not going to appreciate it as much as a quick buffet meal!!

this is a SLOW 5 course dinner. mine were nuts and someone had to leave with them (twins) EVERY night. do yourself and your child a favor and feed her early, drop her at kids club and enjoy a leisurely meal with adults. don't get me wrong, I adore my kids---but you are on a cruise, and the fancy 5 course dinner is part of it. a 2 yr old is not going to appreciate it as much as a quick buffet meal!!

Our son did his first cruise with us at the age of 2 1/2. He ate dinner at the early seating with us every evening for all 7 nights. We brought a couple "quiet" toys for him and he was fine. I think this all depends on the childs individual personality. I have a harder time keeping him entertained now at 4 1/2 than I did at 2 1/2. You may want to practice by going to a nice restaurant on a slow night and taking your time with the meal. See how your child handles the slower service. You will have a better idea of what to expect and you will get to go out to eat too!!

Archived