Pioneer Sq Hotel Seattle

mochuck

We're staying in Seattle for 3 nights prior to flying to Anchorage for a cruise. I was looking at this hotel on tripadvisor and it mostly gets good reviews but a few have commented on the local homeless people accosting them.

Has anyone experienced this and is it really bad. I'm quite used to being surrounded by junkies and homeless where I work in Sydney so I'm not shocked by them. But has anyone had any real trouble with them.

Former Seattle resident here. I've walked through Pioneer Square at all hours of the day and night and never had a problem, except for one deranged beggar who screamed obscenities at me when I didn't give him money (fwiw, I'm also a large-ish white male and not the first choice for a random intimidation campaign). If you're used to dealing with street life in Sydney, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

We're staying in Seattle for 3 nights prior to flying to Anchorage for a cruise. I was looking at this hotel on tripadvisor and it mostly gets good reviews but a few have commented on the local homeless people accosting them.

Has anyone experienced this and is it really bad. I'm quite used to being surrounded by junkies and homeless where I work in Sydney so I'm not shocked by them. But has anyone had any real trouble with them.

If you're thinking of Kings Cross in Sydney, I suspect you'll find Pioneer Square to be pretty tame in comparison. Most of the late-night street action has moved up to the area just north and east of the Pike Place Market. There are still some street people around Pioneer Square, of course, but I don't think you'll find it too big a problem in the summer time.

If anything I'd be more concerned about noise at the BW Pioneer Square than street life. It's located almost underneath an elevated two-deck motorway so the direct and reflected traffic noise can be significant, as can street noise coming from the many bars and cafes around Pioneer Square. There are also a fair number of ferry whistles (it's very close to the Seattle ferry terminal) but those are more atmospheric than annoying (I hope.)

Depending on the price, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find better value at one of the hotels located closer to the middle of the business district. You might also have a look at a regional chain of hotels called the Silver Cloud Inns. There are several in Seattle, for example one across the street from the baseball stadium, another in the fun and funky Broadway district, and a nice one located on Lake Union (Sleepless in Seattle houseboat area) served by the SLUT (South Lake Union Trolley.) All are excellent value. http://www.scinns.com

Yes, very close to Kings Cross - Darlinghurst. Always some entertainment on the street. I will keep an eye on the Silver Cloud hotels they look pretty good. We are in a nasty spot at the moment with the exchange rate.

Wow SLUT - someone didn't think that acronym through very carefully.

Thanks for your advice arcanium and gardyloo.

Yes, very close to Kings Cross - Darlinghurst. Always some entertainment on the street. I will keep an eye on the Silver Cloud hotels they look pretty good. We are in a nasty spot at the moment with the exchange rate.

Wow SLUT - someone didn't think that acronym through very carefully.

Thanks for your advice arcanium and gardyloo.

It has been renamed the Seattle Streetcar, but some entrepreneurs are still selling "I Rode the SLUT" tee shirts. (It was renamed before it began operation some months ago).

Archived