Your best experience in Suva

matmar

Hi all

Looking for find something interesting to do in Suva.

We are going to try and avoid the cruise line options and find a local operator to try and save some dollars.

Any tips/hints or contacts appreciated.

Mark

Hi all

We are going to try and avoid the cruise line options and find a local operator to try and save some dollars.

Mark

Mark, our best experience in Suva has been leaving :) But you've been there, you know that!

Having said that, we recommend the Coffee Shop in Suva Central, when we were there in September we met a very helpful young man behind the counter at the Coffee shop, who went out of his way to provide us with maps and info about Suva..... We were expecting him to get out hisp pen and hightlight his house on the map for us ;)

Hi all

Mark

Hi Mark.....this is the private tour "Pearls of Tahiti" on Sun Princess will be doing tomorrow. "Hawaiian Discovery" September 09 will get a group together as highly recommended by everyone who has done the Arts Village Tour at Pacific Harbour. Heaps more inclusions than ship's tour at half the price :p Not sure of the web address.....http://www.artsvillage.com - if you google Arts Village Fiji I'm certain you'll find all the great info. Here is Ronald's email address: ronald@artsvillage.com

Hope this helps.....definitely need to get out of SUVA :eek:

B E V

I agree it is not a very appealing place.

However we left the ship and walked out thru the masses of locals pushing stuff at us heeding the cautions that were given from the ship not to stop and talk to these ppl. We got out onto the main street and walked as far right as i was prepared to go. When a man driving a white van asked us if we wanted to go and have a tour of the local area. After talking to him for a little while he drove the 5 of us around (unroadworthy by Australian standards). He took us all around the area he stopped whenever we wanted and met locals in the outlying areas. Nothing was too much trouble we got the best photo locations etc.

We got talking to him and it turns out he actually lives in Sydney part of the year and has businesses there but like to go back to his Suva as he also has businesses there as well. He was very helpful with the history etc of the outlaying areas and also the politics over the years.

It was fantastic and we were away for 120 mins and it cost us $40Au. Others that did the organised tours paid a lot more and didnt see or learn as much as we did

I must add i was very dubious at first and had we not had 3 adults and 2 older children i probably would not of gone but we were all glad we did :)

He dropped us back in town and told us which markets and stalls were the best to shop at, however we didnt find much at the markets to purchase.

So was very good experience :D

Lisa

I agree it is not a very appealing place.

However we left the ship and walked out thru the masses of locals pushing stuff at us heeding the cautions that were given from the ship not to stop and talk to these ppl. We got out onto the main street and walked as far right as i was prepared to go. When a man driving a white van asked us if we wanted to go and have a tour of the local area. After talking to him for a little while he drove the 5 of us around (unroadworthy by Australian standards). He took us all around the area he stopped whenever we wanted and met locals in the outlying areas. Nothing was too much trouble we got the best photo locations etc.

We got talking to him and it turns out he actually lives in Sydney part of the year and has businesses there but like to go back to his Suva as he also has businesses there as well. He was very helpful with the history etc of the outlaying areas and also the politics over the years.

It was fantastic and we were away for 120 mins and it cost us $40Au. Others that did the organised tours paid a lot more and didnt see or learn as much as we did

I must add i was very dubious at first and had we not had 3 adults and 2 older children i probably would not of gone but we were all glad we did :)

He dropped us back in town and told us which markets and stalls were the best to shop at, however we didnt find much at the markets to purchase.

So was very good experience :D

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Did you notice if there were buses near Suva terminal to take people if they wanted to go anywhere?

Gail

Hi Lisa

Did you notice if there were buses near Suva terminal to take people if they wanted to go anywhere?

Gail

Hi Gail

That question just bought back memories of when we were there and the smoke billowing out of the bus infront of us. Very funny :)

But to answer your question there were buses around the town but i cannot recall if they were actually at the terminal. You wont miss them they have no windows and are very vintage and dirty.

As i said i kept my head down to clear the locals so i didnt really take much in until i was clear of the terminal. ;)

Sorry prob not much help...

Lisa

Hi Gail

That question just bought back memories of when we were there and the smoke billowing out of the bus infront of us. Very funny :)

But to answer your question there were buses around the town but i cannot recall if they were actually at the terminal. You wont miss them they have no windows and are very vintage and dirty.

As i said i kept my head down to clear the locals so i didnt really take much in until i was clear of the terminal. ;)

Sorry prob not much help...

Lisa

Thanks Lisa

Gail

Archived