Your best experience in Lifou

matmar

Hi all

Looking for find something interesting to do in Lifou.

We are going to try and avoid the cruise line options and find a local operator to try and save some dollars.

Any tips/hints or contacts appreciated.

Mark

Hi all

Looking for find something interesting to do in Lifou.

We are going to try and avoid the cruise line options and find a local operator to try and save some dollars.

Any tips/hints or contacts appreciated.

Mark

Perhaps some snorkling at Jinek Bay, just up and over the hill from where the tenders dock, perhaps a 15-20mins walk. A must do if you like snorkling.:D

You can also do a tour with the locals much cheaper than from booking a tour on board the ship. There are some markets just up from the dock and you can book the local tour just behind the markets.:)

Perhaps some snorkling at Jinek Bay, just up and over the hill from where the tenders dock, perhaps a 15-20mins walk. A must do if you like snorkling.:D

You can also do a tour with the locals much cheaper than from booking a tour on board the ship. There are some markets just up from the dock and you can book the local tour just behind the markets.:)

Hi Marg,

Can you tell me where the locals tours go? We have pre reserved the Tropical Forest Walk & Secret Grotto tour with Dawn Princess at $207 for the 3 of us. Would we be able to go on a similar tour as this one and roughly how much would we pay for this. Also do you use AU dollars when paying the locals for their tours? one more thing do their tours run throughout the day or just in the mornings?

Annette

Lifou is the most beautiful place out, just get off the boat and follow the crowd up the small hill, turn left drop into the art gallery (traditional hut) then keep walking following the signs, visit the church of Natrodame? breathtaking views then head back down and follow the signs to the snorkelling area. Then head back down the road keep going past the road that you came up the hill on, look out for pigs in holes on the side of the road and keep going to you hit the other church and cemetary a little bit further on you will come accross a scuba diving business where you can get great photo's with the ship as a back drop. Turn around and head back to the ship stopping for hair braiding and a foot massage before getting back on the ship. Enjoy

Hi Marg,

Can you tell me where the locals tours go? We have pre reserved the Tropical Forest Walk & Secret Grotto tour with Dawn Princess at $207 for the 3 of us. Would we be able to go on a similar tour as this one and roughly how much would we pay for this. Also do you use AU dollars when paying the locals for their tours? one more thing do their tours run throughout the day or just in the mornings?

Annette

We were there about 4 years ago and we each paid $20 for the tour. Not sure where we went as our driver didn't speak english (Luckly we followed a van and the driver could speak english and we stopped at the same places). But I know we didn't go to a tropical forest but we could have gone to the grotto . We were driven around for about 45-50mins and we would stop and the driver would indicate this was a place for photos. We did go to a chief's hut, an old church, a museum, past farms, and came back along the coast road. Got some great shots of the Pacific Sky out in the bay.

Tours were going all day,and as the vans or mini buses came back they loaded up again and off they went.

When we there, P&O didn't do any tours on the island so I cannot comment on what the tour you have booked would be like. I am sure that the locals charge more than $20 now and you could enquire before you book as to where you would be taken, or you could ask to be taken to the tropical forest. With any luck you will get a driver who can talk english.

Also we paid in Aussie Dollar.

Good luck with what ever decision you make and have a great holiday:)

We were there about 4 years ago and we each paid $20 for the tour. Not sure where we went as our driver didn't speak english (Luckly we followed a van and the driver could speak english and we stopped at the same places). But I know we didn't go to a tropical forest but we could have gone to the grotto . We were driven around for about 45-50mins and we would stop and the driver would indicate this was a place for photos. We did go to a chief's hut, an old church, a museum, past farms, and came back along the coast road. Got some great shots of the Pacific Sky out in the bay.

Tours were going all day,and as the vans or mini buses came back they loaded up again and off they went.

When we there, P&O didn't do any tours on the island so I cannot comment on what the tour you have booked would be like. I am sure that the locals charge more than $20 now and you could enquire before you book as to where you would be taken, or you could ask to be taken to the tropical forest. With any luck you will get a driver who can talk english.

Also we paid in Aussie Dollar.

Good luck with what ever decision you make and have a great holiday:)

Thanks Marg for the info, much appreciated.

Yes we will have great trip.

Annette :):)

My husband and I and another couple visited Lifou (via Pacific Sun) a few weeks ago. We booked outselves on the 9.30am "Forrest & Secret Grotto" tour at $55 each and thoughly enjoyed it. They take a maximum of 15 people per tour so it felt very personalised. We travelled in two mini vans to the forrest (~10 minutes drive) with commentary provided as you go along, then we walked through the forrest whilst being provided with heaps of information on plant species and how they use them for medicinal purposes, also demonstrations on hunting techniques, etc. We went down into a cave/grotto (not at all scary) and finished off the tour with a snack of breads, coconut, bananas and the most delicious homemade lemonade I have ever tasted. The tour people were extremely friendly and chatty. They said the forrest area was protected and not open to other people that are not on an organised tour. All up the tour was two hours long.

When we got back we walked up to the church on the hill, then back down around to the bay to watch those snorkelling and the local kids kicking a football around. Overall the day was very relaxing.

The locals readily accepted aussie dollars but best take smaller denominations. Enjoy your day there.

My husband and I and another couple visited Lifou (via Pacific Sun) a few weeks ago. We booked outselves on the 9.30am "Forrest & Secret Grotto" tour at $55 each and thoughly enjoyed it. They take a maximum of 15 people per tour so it felt very personalised. We travelled in two mini vans to the forrest (~10 minutes drive) with commentary provided as you go along, then we walked through the forrest whilst being provided with heaps of information on plant species and how they use them for medicinal purposes, also demonstrations on hunting techniques, etc. We went down into a cave/grotto (not at all scary) and finished off the tour with a snack of breads, coconut, bananas and the most delicious homemade lemonade I have ever tasted. The tour people were extremely friendly and chatty. They said the forrest area was protected and not open to other people that are not on an organised tour. All up the tour was two hours long.

When we got back we walked up to the church on the hill, then back down around to the bay to watch those snorkelling and the local kids kicking a football around. Overall the day was very relaxing.

The locals readily accepted aussie dollars but best take smaller denominations. Enjoy your day there.

Hi Ashleigh,

For $55 each the tour certainly sounds as if it was worth it.:)

When we go there next I would probably do this tour.......or if we go there again.( but our cruising days are far from over so I'm sure we will get there again)

Archived